Stage I vs. Stage III

With a stage I kit there is no reason to get a secondary fuel system. If you have the stage I system setup properly you shouldn't have any problems. The key is proper fuel pressure and a quality map!

The stock bike will not run safely with 17-18 psi of boost. To run safely you would need to lower compression, by means of turbo pistons or a block spacer or both, and at least run water injection. Also at that boost level your probably pushing a solid 325 horsepower so a secondary fuel system would be required.

I personally don't run an exhaust system so I couldn't comment on the power output. I've heard that they are much quieter, obviously.

Now I have a question for you, have you ever been on a turbo hayabusa. It sounds to me that your setting your sights to high. I rode my stage I for about two years and believe me its very fast. With a stock wheel base like mine its a handful at 6psi. If your really dead set on getting a Stage III, get in touch with a turbo seller or installer,and pick their brain about what youd be getting yourself into. (others can put you in touch with them on this board). My suggestion would be to get a reputable Stage I system. Then have it tuned properly and go have a blast. Do it soon though buddy summer is coming!!
laugh.gif

Everybody's advice has helped. I have not been on a turbo busa but it seems whatever I do to my bike that its faster than what it was but I still wanna go faster. I was trying to sort out what is fact and what is crap from what you hear from all the know it all's. Yall have pointed me in the right direction that for what I want all I need is a stage I. I dont want to have to rebuild a perfectly good motor just to withstand a turbo. I cant think of any other questions about it right now. I want a turbo but yet would still like to keep it looking stock just for the yo-yo's that dont have a clue. Believe it or not my sisters boyfriend seriously believes that his turbo honda that runs 12's will outrun a busa.
bs.gif

Hey Turbo..I live in the desert so its practically summer year round.

the fmu cause me to lose a motor
that is why i wont ever run an fmu to fuel a bike
mine spiked to max psi which locked the injectors(closed) and burnt my pistons up

there is a few kits that are offered that are fine for 7.5 psi but when pushed above that arent very reliable fuel wise

do some research on the difference in the kits before deciding
So you're blaming your FMU instead of blaming your bad injector?

Kind of sounds like you were trying to push your FMU setup beyond it's capabilities.
well how about the fact that it was 8 pounds of boost and the smae injector is still running the turbo with no problems
rock.gif

you tell me
ive seen plenty of failures due to fmu's and i know a thing or two about turbos
secondaries or a standalone is the way to go
hands down
and its more affordable then people let you think

kinda funny the injectors are still working
by the way all 4 pistons were burn and the tune was at 10.8:1 so it wasnt lean

please do prove me wrong
cause injectors will lock up at 125 psi (stock busa injectors)

no pushing of anything
i went to secondaries and started beating the heck out of it with no failures and the pistons look the same as when i installed them

if you truly feel an fmu is better then a set of secondaries then please do explain

the fmu cause me to lose a motor
that is why i wont ever run an fmu to fuel a bike
mine spiked to max psi which locked the injectors(closed) and burnt my pistons up

there is a few kits that are offered that are fine for 7.5 psi but when pushed above that arent very reliable fuel wise

do some research on the difference in the kits before deciding
Ran a stage 1 kit for over 2 years,If you would have had a fuel pressure gauge,you would have known something was up.
well i did and it spiked the FP faster then you can release the throttle

im not tryin to sound rude but even richard from RCC says not to take an fmu'd bike over 7.5 pounds of boost
they arent designed for it

and ive learned that secondaries make a kit 2-3 times more tunable and smoother

Secondaries or standalone are obviously better than FMU setups. I'm pretty sure from this guys post he isn't looking at spending $6 - $7k on a kit just yet. He's probably more interested in a stage 1 type kit making less than 250hp.

Everybody's advice has helped. I have not been on a turbo busa but it seems whatever I do to my bike that its faster than what it was but I still wanna go faster. I was trying to sort out what is fact and what is crap from what you hear from all the know it all's. Yall have pointed me in the right direction that for what I want all I need is a stage I. I dont want to have to rebuild a perfectly good motor just to withstand a turbo. I cant think of any other questions about it right now. I want a turbo but yet would still like to keep it looking stock just for the yo-yo's that dont have a clue. Believe it or not my sisters boyfriend seriously believes that his turbo honda that runs 12's will outrun a busa.
bs.gif

Hey Turbo..I live in the desert so its practically summer year round.
Good Idea, I have just over 250hp on my stage one, with my bike being so far extended, all I do is spin the tire the entire time! But hey, it's still a blast & keeps me out of trouble, other wise I would grip & go!!!
That equals speeding ticket here in Phoenix!

laugh.gif

Secondaries or standalone are obviously better than FMU setups. I'm pretty sure from this guys post he isn't looking at spending $6 - $7k on a kit just yet. He's probably more interested in a stage 1 type kit making less than 250hp.
Yeah, I agree, I don't think most people can drop the extra cash for a standalone system, though it's probably the best option!

bowdown.gif

Barry and Richard both told me not to run my fuel pressure at more than 90psi.{locked injectors} 80-85 MAX IS ALOT SAFER. Pinky is right 7-7.5 lbs of boost is about max for your stock injectors.

adding a set of secondaries isnt that expensive when you get to adding it all up

controller, 1:1 reg, wiring harness, injectors, fuel rail, and injector bungs added to plenum

IMHO its the best money spent on a street kit hands down

i know where i great priced upgrade is and the controller used is a Megasquirt

when you add up the cost of a FMU, PC and any other aditionals with the PC youve got an upgrade already in the cost (or close to it)

When I originally bought my use Ghetto kit, it was the intent to get 240hp on a budget and be happy with it.......but I haven't even put it on yet. Why? Well, I'm buying the extra parts to assure reliable performance from turbocharging. But it is now causing me to upgrade more on this low cost system.....well it was low cost until I bought an intercooler for it as well as a whole new turbo unit. Also got head studs/nuts, .080 spacer, cometic head gasket just to mention a few. This will be my first Turbo Busa but not my first turbo bike as I have had several and currently own 2, one FI an the other Carb'd. All my bikes have been built to withstand double the HP.

So here we go. I've got this new turbo unit to support 425hp. I had S2000 injectos but now I'm getting ready to have my plenum upgraded for secondaries and will be ordering new rods and pistons too. I'll still start out at 250hp but want to ability to get over 400hp whenever I want. No restrictions.

Budget? What budget? Even though I bought the initial kit for less than new, the intercooler for less than new, this budget will be at about $7k when it's all said and done.

So basically you have gotten the hook up and still went over 7k? Is the 400+ unit a stage I or something different? The setup that you are doing is pretty much what I am looking for. I would rather spend the money now and upgrade all the internal componets and get the other required hardware to withstand daily driving and the occaisional and frequent wrist seizure. What brand of turbo did you end up going with?

The secondary fuel controller that Pinky is pushing is what I will be going to in the next couple of weeks. After I recuperate the money from selling my fmu and PCIIIusb, I'll be out give or take, 850.00 smackers.

Back