What makes a Stage-1 a Stage-1 ?

BUGSLAYER

Registered
This board is a load of fun and I’ve learned a lot (I think) about Turbo bikes. One of the many things I don’t know however, is what makes a Turbo system a particular “Stageâ€￾. Is it the turbo size, the turbo control systems, the engine build or some combination of the all of these. It’s not an important question, but I’m curious.

I’m currently having Fields Performance in CA build my first Turbo bike on a 2k miles 06 Hayabusa. I want this bike for LSR at the Texas Mile and Maxton, but mostly it must be able to run on pump gas in the twisties in hot California with a standard wheel base and ride height.

The engine will be fully built using HD clutch springs, titanium retainers, turbo valve springs, ZZZ chain, h-d cam chain conversion, turbo pistons, Carillo rods, head studs and nuts, base plate, hi-output oil gear, billet cam chain adjustor, Fields stage-3 turbo head, 33mm output shaft, AMS 1000 boost controller etc, etc. It will use a special Turbo kit built by RCC with a GT2871R and an RCC water/air intercooler. The air filter will be behind the plastic and it will have an FMF muffler not dump pipes. Fields Performance will do all of the engine building, fit the Turbo and do the tuning on Pump and C16 gas.

What is this Turbo system? Is it a Stage-1, Stage-2, or what?

My family home is in Austin, TX but I spend a lot of time in San Luis Obispo on the Central California Coast. I have bikes in both places. My other bikes are a Yamaha FZ1 and a KTM Super Duke.

My family home is in Austin, TX but I spend a lot of time in San Luis Obispo on the Central California Coast. I have bikes in both places. My other bikes are a Yamaha FZ1 and a KTM Super Duke.

Love Austin, the wife grew up in Leander.

KTM Duke!

Okay now I must do the dirty business

:worthless:

Sorry bro, but I gots to see your stable!

Bubba

This board is a load of fun and I’ve learned a lot (I think) about Turbo bikes. One of the many things I don’t know however, is what makes a Turbo system a particular “Stage”. Is it the turbo size, the turbo control systems, the engine build or some combination of the all of these. It’s not an important question, but I’m curious.

I’m currently having Fields Performance in CA build my first Turbo bike on a 2k miles 06 Hayabusa. I want this bike for LSR at the Texas Mile and Maxton, but mostly it must be able to run on pump gas in the twisties in hot California with a standard wheel base and ride height.

The engine will be fully built using HD clutch springs, titanium retainers, turbo valve springs, ZZZ chain, h-d cam chain conversion, turbo pistons, Carillo rods, head studs and nuts, base plate, hi-output oil gear, billet cam chain adjustor, Fields stage-3 turbo head, 33mm output shaft, AMS 1000 boost controller etc, etc. It will use a special Turbo kit built by RCC with a GT2871R and an RCC water/air intercooler. The air filter will be behind the plastic and it will have an FMF muffler not dump pipes. Fields Performance will do all of the engine building, fit the Turbo and do the tuning on Pump and C16 gas.

What is this Turbo system? Is it a Stage-1, Stage-2, or what?

its really not any stage. A stage 1 is run usually off an FMU but does not contain secondary injection. Currently with the GEN 2 busa a stage 1 can be used as a stage 2 without secondarys because it has 4 extra injectors and can be tuned through the ecu editor and not a microtech. This is how I would classify kits
* Turbo with FMU
*Turbo with secondary injection
*Turbo with water injection "Secondarys are usually used"
*Turbo with A/A "Secondarys are usually used"
*Turbo with A/W "Secondarys are usually used"

You could technically classify RCC's current setups as
Stage 1
Stage 2
Street kit "stage 3"
Race kit "stage 4"
Ultra kit "stage 5"
Super Ultra "stage 6"

With RCC's A/W billet plenum your riding height will not be affected neither will your steering or any geometry of the bike. You bike should make 340-350HP on 93 octane pump gas on 18lb. Make sure you add an extra fan to it since its a GEN 1 busa

Last edited:
Love Austin, the wife grew up in Leander.

KTM Duke!

Okay now I must do the dirty business

:worthless:

Sorry bro, but I gots to see your stable!

Bubba

The first one is my 03 FZ1 in Monument Valley on a ride from California to Austin. The second and third are my 06 Busa. The forth is me last month at Laguna Seca on a borrowed KTM RC8R (so you can see what an old geezer I am). The fifth is my 08 Super Duke on the runway at Crows Landing dreaming of LSR runs!

FZ1 Mon Valley II.jpg

Hayabusa board 1.jpg

Hayabusa board 2.jpg

RC8R Laguna board 1.jpg

Crows Landing board.JPG

The first one is my 03 FZ1 in Monument Valley on a ride from California to Austin. The second and third are my 06 Busa. The forth is me last month at Laguna Seca on a borrowed KTM RC8R (so you can see what an old geezer I am). The fifth is my 08 Super Duke on the runway at Crows Landing dreaming of LSR runs!

Very nice! Love the photos.:thumbsup:
Bubba

Back