Build in stages

Hey guys!

so I picked up a 2008 BK for a steal and stripped the engine out of it for my Crosskart.
I have ordered the intake setup and piping as well as tial wastegate and blowoff valve. I can’t run a turbo header since I don’t have the front engine clearance so the piping comes off the factory header up into the turbo (pretty much where the SET valve is).

I decided to go with a Comp air cooled turbo. I purchased the Comp Billet CTR 5858 Air-cooled Turbocharger. T3 .63 Housing. I am excited to try one of these turbos I have heard so many great things about. I really like the Comp products and customer service.

I am trying to understand stages to the build. Pulling my motor is only a 45 minute job so that doesn’t matter much for this. All questions are considering PUMP GAS. You are welcome to also add answers regarding E85 and Race Fuel.

If I install this turbo with the stock engine, what is my boost and or horsepower limit?

If I upgrade the valves and springs, what is my boost and or horsepower limit?

If I add a base spacer with adjustable
Cam gears and the valve setup above, what is my boost and or horsepower limit?

If I skip the spacer and opt for the 8.7:1 pistons with the valve upgrades, I would likely need to upgrade the fuel pump and regulator. At this point, what is my boost and or horsepower limit?

If I go all out and add Carrillo rods, valve upgrade, Wiseco 8.7:1 pistons, injectors, and upgraded fuel supply system, what is my boost and or Horsepower limit?

I think this thread could help a lot of people understand stages and goals to their bikes. It seems like these are the logical stages of a build. I am all ears if someone would like to correct me. Please, do your best to answer the questions above to the best of your knowledge though. This could be a fantastic resource for future turboprenuers.

Do some research and you can find your answers. That’s what I have done in the past. Boosted cycle performance is a sponsor here and he has done some interesting testing on the gen 2 busa platform as far as what kind of power you can make on a stock motor. Look up his threads and YouTube videos. He has great info out there.

I have been reading through out this forum as well as many others. There is variable information. I am readying 2-3psi stock, 4-6 psi with valves, don’t do just pistons as they weigh more and the rods strain, with pistons and rods it seems like you can make 500+

my purpose of this question was to try and consolidate and discuss. That is the information I am seeing, I would love to see some experienced individuals feedback.

My goal was not to try and determine the power goal. It seemed like this was the different builds I commonly see.
The turbo and fuel system dictates the power capablility if the power adder. From there, it would be the mechanics of the engine surviving the boost and the proper tune.
ie: I have a stand-alone engine management system, stand alone fuel system capable of 650hp, and a complete 5858 billet turbo.
The rest is up to the engine holding the power. I was hoping to understand the strength of the engine components rather than pick a horsepower goal.

My current build will be valves and springs with the above setup until I open it up for rods and pistons. I anticipate 320whp with the valve upgrade on 6psi and 450whp when the engine is built.

Back