stage 1.5 rcc?

ogre

Call me Liberace!
Registered
curious about the limits of the stage 1 turbo system from rcc. intercooled of course, but i'm more interested in what kind of power is possible if i were to install some lower compression forged pistons (say 8.7:1, with spacer) and larger drop in injectors (not too big), and tuning the whole thing using ecuedit. any major pitfalls here? is a daily driven, daily beaten 300 hp safe? or should i stay closer to the 250-280 range?

dunno, trying to find that out. i think the rods go first. dunno at what level tho. thought about going big bore, but i think a nice turbo setup would meet my needs. well, future "needs" (=wants)

dunno, trying to find that out. i think the rods go first. dunno at what level tho. thought about going big bore, but i think a nice turbo setup would meet my needs. well, future "needs" (=wants)

DANG....you and I are on the same mind set.
I have a bigbore and NOS planned out with Greg at HPC, but all I need is to make up my mind on it or TURBO. The stage-1 will NOT put me at the HP I want to reach, but it will later on.

curious about the limits of the stage 1 turbo system from rcc. intercooled of course, but i'm more interested in what kind of power is possible if i were to install some lower compression forged pistons (say 8.7:1, with spacer) and larger drop in injectors (not too big), and tuning the whole thing using ecuedit. any major pitfalls here? is a daily driven, daily beaten 300 hp safe? or should i stay closer to the 250-280 range?

The Stage One Turbo system from RCC uses a Precision turbo that is capable of over 400 RWHP. Getting more than 250 HP from an RCC Stage One turbo is simply a matter of fueling. On an early Busa, the stock injectors will get you to a max of 270-280 before you run out of injector. Yes, in this case, larger primary injectors will get you there. I would not advise going over 325 RWHP without rods, and if you are intercooling, I would not go over 14-15 pounds of boost on pump fuel. A Gen 2 has enough injector (using the ECU editor) to get over 300 RWHP. Whether on not any HP level is safe on a daily driver is really all about the proper tune, i.e., A/F and timing . . .:rulez:

Whats better intercooling or water injection? It would be BIG stretch to do more than the stage-1 and base plate now, but what else would I need to see min 260hp?
You know.... the first additional mod: Lower compresion pistons, injectors, intercooler, water injection, BOV, or what?

Last edited:
so would a 300 hp setup, PROPERLY TUNED, last a fair amount of time? i don't know what injectors are available. i'd want something small enough so i could use decent fuel pressure at idle and low revs, for proper atomization, but big enough that on the bravo map (secondary ecu map), i could tune it for 300 hp.

already sort of planned the tune setup. map "a" would be wastegate boost (maybe 8 psi), moderate tune, maybe 225 hp, nothing crazy. flip a switch (greg's nitrous harness, hooked to a dual stage boost controller, using the airbox solenoid to trigger the second stage of the boost controller) and you have the high boost map (14 psi?) tuned to ~300 hp, when you really need to illicit a bowel movement. wish i had a shop to figure it out.:whistle:

Whats better intercooling or water injection? It would be BIG stretch to do more than the stage-1 and base plate now, but what else would I need to see min 260hp?
You know.... the first additional mod: Lower compresion pistons, injectors, intercooler, water injection, BOV, or what?

i can field this one, water injection is a band aid. intercooler is a more permanent solution. you could run water injection as a way to run higher boost at the track, but i wouldn't want to rely on water injection alone to cool the intake charge.

Air-to-air or water-to-air intercooling is more efficient, and the better way to go. A Stage One on a Gen 1 (stock motor) will make 250-260 RWHP easily on pump gas . . . let me know if its a Gen 2 you are referring to.:poke:

so would a 300 hp setup, PROPERLY TUNED, last a fair amount of time? i don't know what injectors are available. i'd want something small enough so i could use decent fuel pressure at idle and low revs, for proper atomization, but big enough that on the bravo map (secondary ecu map), i could tune it for 300 hp.

already sort of planned the tune setup. map "a" would be wastegate boost (maybe 8 psi), moderate tune, maybe 225 hp, nothing crazy. flip a switch (greg's nitrous harness, hooked to a dual stage boost controller, using the airbox solenoid to trigger the second stage of the boost controller) and you have the high boost map (14 psi?) tuned to ~300 hp, when you really need to illicit a bowel movement. wish i had a shop to figure it out.:whistle:

It sounds like you pretty much figured it out already. You just need a shop to actually hook it all up and set up your maps on a dyno . . .:beerchug:

Air-to-air or water-to-air intercooling is more efficient, and the better way to go. A Stage One on a Gen 1 (stock motor) will make 250-260 RWHP easily on pump gas . . . let me know if its a Gen 2 you are referring to.:poke:

Here is what I have:
GenI 2007 with 5000 miles on stock motor.
Lowered 2inches infront ...so dont think room for intercooler?
90/10 street ( weekend worrier)/ drag...looking to make it to the track a lot more thu.
The big kicker....rolling a 330 with Out Side Drive kit. So what ever hp I get to...-15hp OFF of gettting it to the ground.
And I want to stay on 93 pump gas....maybe add some special on track days?

If I go turbo...it will be an RCC stage-1 and guess with base plate. That will realy squeeze my $$$ now to pull that off. Even with selling my one-off HMF exhaust to recoop some cost?

So a second map, dual stage boost controller, harness, and injectors...will put a stage-1 up to the 300hp mark? Can you give me an idea on the harness, controller, injectors.....rough cost?
I have a motor/nos build planned out so now Im matching that build vs a turbo to get me where I want. THen all I have to do is AIM...and pull the TRIGGER on witch one.

Here is what I have:
GenI 2007 with 5000 miles on stock motor.
Lowered 2inches infront ...so dont think room for intercooler?
90/10 street ( weekend worrier)/ drag...looking to make it to the track a lot more thu.
The big kicker....rolling a 330 with Out Side Drive kit. So what ever hp I get to...-15hp OFF of gettting it to the ground.
And I want to stay on 93 pump gas....maybe add some special on track days?

If I go turbo...it will be an RCC stage-1 and guess with base plate. That will realy squeeze my $$$ now to pull that off. Even with selling my one-off HMF exhaust to recoop some cost?

Two inches down in the front would make it very tight for an intercooler. Trimming some off the back of the front fender should make that possible. In regard to the OSD kit, I think it will drop your RWHP at least 25, not 15 - and thats not because of the drive setup, its because of that big heavy tire you're pushing down the road. You could definately set the system up with two maps: pump gas, low boost; and race gas, higher boost. Whatever you decide, a turbo 'Busa - set up right, tuned right - could be the best bike you ever owned!:banana:

In regard to the OSD kit, I think it will drop your RWHP at least 25, not 15 - and thats not because of the drive setup, its because of that big heavy tire you're pushing down the road.

I was dyno at 149 with the jackshaft set up...after blowing that crap twice, I converted to an OSD and dyno 154 on the same climate controlled dyno..no other changes between the two dynos. I know my stock motor, BMC filter, Full HMF daul exhaust, large airbox mod, PC with custom tune......could not be making 179hp if I did not have the 330 weight in the back. Thats why I say -15hp for the 330.

With the lowered front and intercooler...being close, what about when the suspension compresses? What does the intercooler help with...more efficient boost= more HP?
School me!

Yes 300HP will last a pretty long time if its setup right. I have a friend that has 13K miles on his RCC stage 2 and he keeps it sat at 320HP. Rod that stage 1 turbo is def the way to go....BECAUSE YOU CAN UPGRADE IT AND YOU SURELY WILL!!! With the way your bike is setup I suggest you go with the stage 1, keep the boost at 7lb and enjoy it for many miles. Then later down the road you can do some more advanced motor work and purchase RCC's ultra plenum setup and that way you can have the best intercooling available and still have your bike slammed. 350HP on pump gas down the road is sounding pretty good now thinking that you could still keep your existing RCC stage 1 turbo kit isn't it:thumbsup:

What does the intercooler help with...more efficient boost= more HP?
School me!
An intercooler lowers the temperature of the intake charge. the turbo heats the air when compressing it, an intercooler lowers that temp before it enters the combustion chamber. Cooler air is more dense, which makes more power. Think of it like this: An engine is essentially an air pump. More air in and out, more power. Inside each cylinder you can fit a specific amount of air, measured in cubic centimeters (a little less than 325 cc's on a gen 1) at a given temperature. When using forced induction, a turbo or blower compresses air, forcing more than that 325 ccs into the cylinder. Compressed air heats and expands due to friction from the molecules. Let's suppose for arguments' sake that the amount of air in the cylinder is now 600ccs. (I have no idea how much extra air is actually forced in so this number may be way off, but it will work for this example.) If the air being forced in is cooled, it condenses thus more of it can be crammed in to the cylinder at the same pressure. For the sake of this discussion, let's say the cylinder will now contain 700 ccs of air. You can now see why and how forced induction makes more power, and intercooling is better. Nitrous carries more oxygen molecules into the cylinder than ambient air, but doesn't compress it and heat it up. It actually has a cooling effect on the intake air also, that's one of the reasons it adds power. Both forced induction and spray essentially make a given cylinder act as if it has a larger capacity than it actually does. If you go to your local drag strip, you will see the serious bracket racers with weather stations. Even a small increase in barometric pressure caused by a high or low pressure weather system will cause them to run different numbers. Hope this helps.......

cool..thanks! That helps some.

The ultru plenium...is what also an intercooler? THat thing is big $$$.

Hey Orge...Hope I did not jack your thread?

O - and Ive been Emailing Richard at RCC about some things too

Last edited:
It sounds like you pretty much figured it out already. You just need a shop to actually hook it all up and set up your maps on a dyno . . .:beerchug:

i can hook it up, just don't have a dyno. i meant i should've startd a shop instead of buying a house, lol. i'd love nothing more than to pore over comressor charts all day and make stuff go faster. o well, if only i'd been born rich instead of good looking, but i digress. as far as injectors go, what are the gen I stockers pumping out, and what's available as a drop in replacement that flows maybe 50% more than stock? i need to do a little more research about the expanded map sensor option in ecuedit, and see how much boost the pcm is capable of compensating for. oh, the wife ok'd my plan this morning... :thumbsup:

Back