Building new turbo engine

69ls1

Registered
I am going to build a new turbo engine this winter. I currentely have a Stage 1 RCC turbo kit. I am planning on replacing the rods and pistons and going to the S2000 injectors. I  would like to run around  12 to 15 pounds of boost and possible with a 2 stage boost controller.  I want to still run pump gas on low boost then swich to c-16 on high boost for the dragstrip.  I was wanting to know what compression ratio would be the best for both street riding and racing?  I am looking at either the 8 to 1 turbo pistons or a 9.9 to 1 pistons. I am not sure if using the 8 to 1 pistons the engine will lose to much power when not in boost while street riding?  What are the recommendations for each? What would the max boost on pump gas with the low compression and the S2000 injectors?  Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I got the 8 to 1 setup with RCC Stage II Super Street here and basically lowering hte compression is going to allow you to run more boost on pump fuel as well as high octane fuel.

8 to 1 is security, and possibly more boost down the road...

In my engine, we got...

Corrilo H-beam rods
JE Turbo 8 to 1 pistons.
Block Spacer
Bigger Valve Springs
Bigger Clutch Springs
1/2" Head Bolts (You want to do this for sure...)
Metal Head Gasket
Intercooler (Going to want this for long boost runs, I.E. top-speed)

I am running a 20/40 sprocket setup and I can tell you I got plenty of umph with the 8 to 1 compression off boost to turn the gears, no problem... It would be nice to have a little more torque off boost, but with a 20/40 sprocket setup, what you expect...  
wow.gif

I think you are doing it right by doing pistons and rods... This will give you a little room in the case things aren't quite right...  I have been running 12PSI on 91 octane and it is plenty for me to make 220 and get there like a rocket. I got plenty more on tap, but the way the beast acts, I think I am going to keep her chained up with 12PSI for now...

The new RCC stage I kits are capable of making over 400HP with secondary injector rail. I think the most you can get out of the S2000 injectors is around the 350HP mark, but I could be wrong on that.

I think with the S2000 injectors, you are going to run a little rich all the time and I beleive they tell you to lower fuel PSI to 25, but Richard at RCC could confirm. All you need to run the secondary rail is...

secondary rail
injectors,
MT-2 Computer
Fuel pump should be okay, but confirm with Richard on this too...

Cloud

Just curious...corrilo rods are highg quality, but do you change push rods, valves or retainers at any point? Have you heard of matton push rods, ,light weight, custom legnth and super strong. Rotating/moving mass..

(RYC1966 @ Sep. 29 2007,09:15) Just curious...corrilo rods are highg quality, but do you change push rods, valves or retainers at any point? Have you heard of matton push rods, ,light weight, custom legnth  and super strong. Rotating/moving mass..
Little too technical for me... ;)

I just went with the manufacturers specs for my engine build with turbo system, and then had a damn good mechanic do the engine work.

No push rods in these...
Valve springs are a good idea, retainers are fine . definitely do the con rods,(i just ventilated a block running std rods at 20 psi) if you use JE turbo pistons you have to use a .080 spacer , the stg 1 turbo comes on early enough you will not notice much difference pre boost for decompressing .

Would a intercooler be nessasary for a 8 to 1 engine running less than 15 pounds of boost? The bike will be street driven most of the time, but we do rent the local dragstrip 2 times a year.

(69ls1 @ Sep. 29 2007,11:52) Would a intercooler be nessasary for a 8 to 1 engine running less than 15 pounds of boost?  The bike will be street driven most of the time, but we do rent the local dragstrip 2 times a year.
Yes, for sustained boost... YOu are going to need something to cool the air intakes... Don't take the chance... ;)

I have a Brand new set of Carillo's and MTC turbo pistons for sale.
beerchug.gif

the 1/2 studs are really a smart

personly I think a good secondary injector setup is a better way to go. Then you can leave OE injectors to run the engine off boost

carrillo or Crower rods are a good choice

intercooler is really smart for the street too.

While you have it apart it might be a good idea to undercut the transmission and maybe a billet output shaft. Do any of y'all that street ride ever have transmission issue?
There are many good machine shops that can do this. I send ALL my transmissins to R&D Motorsports in Safety Harbor Florida.
beerchug.gif

R&D does excellent trans work. back cutting the the gears is a good idea. Billet shaft.. waaay over kill for your setup.

Back