Stage I vs. Stage III

GA_boi

Donating Member
Registered
I know there are obvious differences in horsepower output but what are the differences between the two systems? Size of the turbo? Ammount of boost? Required engine work to make either one a daily driver? Is there any way to do a turbo and still have a complete exhaust system or does it have to dump out of the right fairing? Just thinking about a turbo and trying to learn up on them before throwing money away.

the first factor is the fueling
the stage 1 has an fmu
a stage 2 has a secondary setup
and a stage 3 has a secondary setup or a standalone(for full race bikes)

the motor work depends on the power lever and boost level you desire

big money for stage III
beerchug.gif

the stage 1 has an fmu

Sorry I dont know what a fmu is. are you saying that for stage II and III you need additional fuel lines or a different setup to get your fuel to the motor than what comes from the factory?

Stick with the stage 1, you can make plenty of power for the street or the strip. Won't cost as much either.
lurk.gif

I wouldn't own a turbo bike without secondary injectors.
this i agree with
with the exception of a standalone

and there is an affordable upgrade out there that uses megasquirt efi as a secondary controller
its also capable of making the big power and controlling it very nicely

i will be testing a megasquirt efi standalone soon and have ran megasquirt for a secondary controller for 2 yrs with no problems and great control

i personally will never run a stage one (fmu controlled system) on a bike ever again
the secondaries allow so much more tuning and control of the fueling that its not even funny the comparison

the stage 1 has an fmu

Sorry I dont know what a fmu is. are you saying that for stage II and III you need additional fuel lines or a different setup to get your fuel to the motor than what comes from the factory?
an fmu is a rising rate regulator for most systems

yes even with a stage one you will replace the fuel pump and rum all new fuel lines
it doesnt mater if a stage 1,2,3 they all will require the replacement of fuel lines

FMU stands for fuel management unit. Its a rising rate fuel regulator that raises fuel pressure depending on boost pressure. With an FMU and a Power Commander you can safely adjust air fuel ratios for a stage I kit, which is very important for turbocharged motors. This is the typical setup for stage I kits. The key to this set up is a good map for the power commander. A stage II or III setup as mentioned in previous replies ditches the FMU and PCIII for a secondary fuel system, it runs piggyback to the stock fuel system. It requires your plenum to be plumbed for another fuel rail , that runs off a secondary fuel controller. If your planning on running your bike on the street like most of the newer people on this forum(like myself) don't bother with a stage III system it requires alot more money, ie a built motor, boost controller, water injection or intercooling, a good tuner and of course the turbo system. I'm currently in the process of rebuilding my motor after it melted down on me last year with a stage I kit (My map was crap). I'm currently looking at a secondary fuel system right know and with that and the motor upgrades that I will be doing I'm going to be inching towards 3000.00 in just motor stuff. So if your on a budget just by a reputable stage I kit and YOU WILL BE SATISFIED!
thumb_up.gif

the fmu cause me to lose a motor
that is why i wont ever run an fmu to fuel a bike
mine spiked to max psi which locked the injectors(closed) and burnt my pistons up

there is a few kits that are offered that are fine for 7.5 psi but when pushed above that arent very reliable fuel wise

do some research on the difference in the kits before deciding

Yeah, I would stick with a stage one, you can always upgrade, but if you get greedy with boost, then go with the other systems. I have had no problems with my FMU,
lurk.gif
got it from RCC.

FMU stands for fuel management unit. Its a rising rate fuel regulator that raises fuel pressure depending on boost pressure. With an FMU and a Power Commander you can safely adjust air fuel ratios for a stage I kit, which is very important for turbocharged motors. This is the typical setup for stage I kits. The key to this set up is a good map for the power commander. A stage II or III setup as mentioned in previous replies ditches the FMU and PCIII for a secondary fuel system, it runs piggyback to the stock fuel system. It requires your plenum to be plumbed for another fuel rail , that runs off a secondary fuel controller. If your planning on running your bike on the street like most of the newer people on this forum(like myself) don't bother with a stage III system it requires alot more money, ie a built motor, boost controller, water injection or intercooling, a good tuner and of course the turbo system. I'm currently in the process of rebuilding my motor after it melted down on me last year with a stage I kit (My map was crap). I'm currently looking at a secondary fuel system right know and with that and the motor upgrades that I will be doing I'm going to be inching towards 3000.00 in just motor stuff. So if your on a budget just by a reputable stage I kit and YOU WILL BE SATISFIED!
thumb_up.gif
thumb_up.gif

thumb_up.gif

So if I go with a stage I and secondary fuel system I wont have to worry about melting the pistons or other internal componets of the engine? Can a stage I withstand 12-17 lbs of boost without having to rebuild the entire motor to withstand this much boost?

Is it possible to keep your exhaust all the way out or will trying to do this hinder the performance of the turbo?

mine spiked to max psi which locked the injectors(closed) and burnt my pistons up

there is a few kits that are offered that are fine for 7.5 psi but when pushed above that arent very reliable fuel wise

So you're blaming your FMU instead of blaming your bad injector?

Kind of sounds like you were trying to push your FMU setup beyond it's capabilities.

Ran a stage 1 kit for over 2 years,If you would have had a fuel pressure gauge,you would have known something was up.

Don't know anything, but what I've read. Stage 1 260 RWHP, Stock Busa mill is suppose to be good up to 300 HP.

Back