sprockets

tico1340

Registered
Going to get a new chain , might as well get some new sprockets, should i stay with the stock gearing or change it up ?? any input ?

Is there anything different you want your bike to do? More top end, more low end?

Sent from Droid using Tapatalk

For a little more acceleration...go +2 on the rear 18/45 :thumbsup:
Posted via Mobile Device

i went up 3 teeth in the rear. it's nice.

when in doubt, calculate it: Gearing Commander: Motorcycle Speed, RPM, Chain & Sprockets Calculator

+2 or +3 on the rear gives the "feel" of alot more torque and make wheelies even easier, and you will accelerate noticeably quicker. Either also works just fine with the stock chain and has plenty of slack for adjustment.
Keep in mind that gearing commander or any type of chart like it is just a reference too. It doesn't take into account for wind, elevation, hp, or any real world conditions. It's just what the final drive ratio is capable of, not nessacerily that the bike will achieve it's suggested speeds.
Going down teeth in the front will also cause the bike to accelerate quicker, and the gear to run out quicker. It will also give the "feel" that you have lost torque. I personally am not a fan of going down on the front. Front sprockets are around $20, so they're cheap enough for you to expirament for yourself. A -1 or -2 will also work fine with the stock chain, and a well maintained and adjusted chain will not suffer from gearing changes.
Keep in mind that the old -1 in the front = +3 on the back is a myth. The final drive ratios may be very close, but the overall feel of the engines power delivery is noticeably different.
Buy a +2, or +3 and you should be very happy, I'de also try a -1 front just for perspective, by itself and with the +2 or 3. It's cheap enough to try, and you personally may like it.:beerchug:

Back