sprocket changes - front or rear?

Jim44

Registered
Seems to me changing rear +2 (43 to 45) is best choice for what I want - however, speedshop suggests changing front -1 (18 to 17) instead to keep wheelbase closest to stock - thoughts from those that have made the changes??? also, can I keep stock chain either way (only 1000 miles on chain) - thanks for any advice -

It's ok to use the stock chain with so few miles on it. Wheelbase is not a issue. They went to a 18 because of the extra hp and torque of the new motor...I would go +2 if not +3, it will fit with the stock chain...18/46 = lots o' fun :beerchug:

I just did the vortex 45 tooth and it is much snappier now. I like it. I hope the aluminum holds up.

I guess it depends on what you want to do. Shortening the wheelbase is a good thing if you are riding twisties. If you are launching at the strip, you'll want the weelbase as long as possible. Larger sprockets are easier on the chain and will help extend the life of the chain ans sprockets if you do alot of miles. There isn't a single answer that fits everyone. I swap front and/or rear sprockets depending on where I'm going and what type of riding I'll be doing.

FWIW I am planning on going up 2 or 3 in the rear, seems to me it's easier and I can do it myself also...

I also want to get rid of that ugly sprocket back there, getting a black one.

Anyone know if 45 or a 46 will be bettrer for a 240 guy like me, Guess it depends on how much I like the front wheel to lift hugh, lol...

I went to a 45 last year and have now switched to 47. If you go to a 47 you can just get the chain on but leaves very little adjustment. I'm adding an additional link to give me some adjustment. Bike is great with +4 on the rear.

I just did the vortex 45 tooth and it is much snappier now. I like it. I hope the aluminum holds up.
they say 4-6K is normal life on them.. I like my steel sprocket that goes 20k+ :) I am running "Stealth tri-metal" now

I went +2 on rear to a 45 and there was a noticable difference on take off. I'm 270. RPM's aren't bad at all, but it is noticable. With all the power on hand, I can't see doing any more unless you're trying to dial-in on the strip. You can't nail it in 1st or 2nd now without a wheelie. I wouldn't want it spinning any more for my kind of street/twisty stuff, anyway.

I'm at 17f and 45r, love it.

Another reason going down to 17 "could" be better is less that you'll have less chain links than if you went up 3 in the rear. Less links is less weight which is more HP and torque to the ground.

I just put about 300 miles on the new +2 rear. I must say I am happy with it. The bikes is a lot smoother throughout. You won't be disappointed with a +2 setup.

Back