front sprocket

manny08busa

Registered
hello I wanted to know if anyone could give me some info, on changing the front sprocket one tooth down from 18 to 17 and keeping the stock chain. whats the bad and good on it and any performance gains?

hello I wanted to know if anyone could give me some info, on changing the front sprocket one tooth down from 18 to 17 and keeping the stock chain. whats the bad and good on it and any performance gains?
if you are only street riding no need to change it.  Sprockets dont add hp.

wee
I arree, I would think with a stock wheelbase 08 it would make it harder to ride on the street.

will It give me more low end spped and take from the top? A tuner her told me if i changed to a 17 the bike will feel a lot faster when riding .

will that mess with my speed reading, and is it worth it to do im highly considering it beacause i do more street riding and i wouldnt mind more pulling power in the start

it will alter the speedomter a little, is it worth it ? to me yes when i ran that on my 06,

Your speedo will go crazy.Very optimistic than it is right now
banghead.gif

Think of it like this..... Your on a Ten speed (bicycle) and you try and take off in say third gear from a dead stop! Now try the same thing using first gear! One is much easier than the other BUT this switch causes sacrifices on the opposite end! Say your going down the highway and want to open her up. Well that little gear change is like peddling that same ten speed at fifty in first gear (lots of engine revs, but little speed)
Hope this helps

will that mess with my speed reading, and is it worth it to do im highly considering it beacause i do more street riding and i wouldnt mind more pulling power in the start
More pulling power?  
SHOCKED.gif
Take it out of C mode, you'll have all the pulling power you can handle.
thumb_up.gif

Think of it like this..... Your on a Ten speed (bicycle) and you try and take off in say third gear from a dead stop! Now try the same thing using first gear! One is much easier than the other BUT this switch causes sacrifices on the opposite end! Say your going down the highway and want to open her up. Well that little gear change is like peddling that same ten speed at fifty in first gear (lots of engine revs, but little speed)
Hope this helps
Have to disagree. The increase in torque at the rear tire is noticible improved in lower gears and at highway speeds by dropping a tooth in the front. If your crusing speed on the highway was 4200 rpm, the revs only jump up to 4450. The closer your revs are to peak torque, the more impressive the roll-ons will be. You sacrifice milage, speedo accuracy, and top speed. But the top speed of the bike only drops from ~200 (theoretical assuming unregulated and given tire) to about 188 mph. Many folks drop 1 in front and 2 in the back. Throttle response is "spirited".

Hope this helps
Have to disagree. The increase in torque at the rear tire is noticible improved in lower gears and at highway speeds by dropping a tooth in the front. If your crusing speed on the highway was 4200 rpm, the revs only jump up to 4450. The closer your revs are to peak torque, the more impressive the roll-ons will be. You sacrifice milage, speedo accuracy, and top speed. But the top speed of the bike only drops from ~200 (theoretical assuming unregulated and given tire) to about 188 mph. Many folks drop 1 in front and 2 in the back. Throttle response is "spirited".
I believe we share views on this topic just a lot harder to express them without speaking the words. So my first take was merely an analogical adaptation of torque/HP to help conceptualize the effects both positive and negative for gear changes... I in no way would suggest this adaptation is either accurate or factual in numbers or presence! But instead offered an easy way for most to see how gear changes can/will impact the performance of their machine. Now, I think we both agree that the increase in torque for either one down or three up using the stock set-up as a base line for comparison would yield an approx 6.99% increase in torque at the rear wheel up to most highway speeds. I still think it would be safe to assume an approx 14% loss of top speed on the big end factoring the drag coefficient of the bike. So, yes the bike is torquer at everything less than highway speed but there will be a noticeable loss of performance on top! Gearing simply allows the user to move the power to where its needed most and this need is based solely on the users preference.

Looking forward to hearing feedback from this member after the gear change!

I use my Garmin Nuvi 760 for accurate speedometer. Havent changed my sprockets. A good combo is 1 down 2 up.

Back