Speeding in VA

Guilty, That is I'm guilty. This guy was warned and warned and warned and played anyway. Whiner. I wonder why they go to Virginia given the situation :dunno: He should have gone to the doctor, dentist, and got some glasses during his stay :laugh:

After reading the link below, why are we allowed to market, sell, own and drive machines which put is in jail if we even dare use a fraction of their power?

Like giving the best ever candy to a kid and telling the kid he may only look at it.:banghead:

The Germans are the only ones who get this right.

Never Speed In Virginia: Lessons From My Three Days In Jail

Anyone who has ever driven in VA knows that they do not play around up there; I have never seen so many warning signs as when I crossed the NC/VA border.

On a side note, JellyRug, I am not too far from you; I am right up US1 in Sanford on the Harnett County side.

When we were at HITH we crossed over into VA.

The first sign we passed was "High rate of motorcycle accidents next 4 miles"
The second sign was "Radar detectors are illegal in VA"

I have no idea what county we were in.

After reading that story I don't have any desire to every go to VA - EXCEPT if VaBusa and Omar host a get together for Busa riders. :laugh:
Not sure though if I would need to bring my GW instead of the Busa OR if they give lessons on how to out run the cops if you meet any. :rofl:

1 day in jail for every one mile per hour over 90. :banghead: Triple digits are so easy that someone could spend a month or more in jail. :banghead:

Must be the easiest way for them to make money without printing it. :moon:

I lived in Hampton for 4 years and totally hated the driving situation there. Roads were inadequate for the traffic loads. 4 lanes that became 2 lanes at tunnels which his just the stupidest thing in the world. The worst was the very narrow window between excessive speeding and getting your ass run off the road. I f you attempted to drive the speed limit you become a hazard and you are forced to go 10 over just to be with the flow of traffic. At that point you could be tagged for speeding at the whim of the Police. I'm very happy to live in the wild southwest where unless you are driving really, really stupid you are OK.

I speed constantly here in VA, but have been lucky I guess... :whistle:

There's no doubt when you travel outside of VA, then back in, you realize just how thick the interstates are with patrol cars, just waiting to get you. It's as soon as you hit the state line too. I guess our state lottery isn't paying up like we thought, so we have to collect via mobile taxation :rofl:

After reading the link below, why are we allowed to market, sell, own and drive machines which put is in jail if we even dare use a fraction of their power?

Like giving the best ever candy to a kid and telling the kid he may only look at it.:banghead:

The Germans are the only ones who get this right.

Never Speed In Virginia: Lessons From My Three Days In Jail

I guess I don't see why this applies to a motorcycle. We are capable of controlling how we drive said machine. Being responsible is not the motorcycles job, it's ours. While I think there are states that are unfair in the way they treat drivers based on LEO and it's attitudes. It is still pretty easy to understand what a speed limit sign means when we see it.

Now having said this, it is pretty ridiculous they put you in jail as a first offense and an out of stater. I'll be keeping my tourism money out of Virginia.

At least he got the chance to go on the weekend. I was pulled over not for speeding but for changing lanes too much. I called it passing cars and the trooper called it reckless driving. My buddy stops and waits for me. He gets a ticket from trooper #2 for unsafe lane changing. Neither of us were speeding. His court date he's found guilty and pays a fine. I'm guilty and decided to appeal. Go to the appeal hearing and end up with a 90 day sentence with 80 days suspended. Since it was a misdemeanor, yes I said misdemeanor, I only have to do 5 days of the remaining 10. I also get a $1000 dollar fine and six months suspended license. The lower court only gave me a $400 fine and misdemeanor conviction. It's more than doubled, and jail time added and license suspended all for passing cars. I took the day off to go to court near Richmond and I lived in Baltimore. I wasn't even given an opportunity to call my job, my wife or anyone. This was a Wednesday and I had appointments on Thursday. Not to mention giving me an opportunity to get my car back home. Again, all I did was pass cars.

Virginia is the worst. If you get a ticket there just pay it. Don't dare appeal it.

That's really messed up. I'll be staying away from Virginia. I worry about my son who is stationed at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds just north of Baltimore. He rides an R6 and I hope he stays away from VA.

Just had the last of 4 tickets fall off my license. Preaching to the Choir! That said I been pulled in Va. doing well in excess of 20 miles over the speed limit. All written up for 19 mph over. I have lived in Virginia my whole adult life and think highly of the State police. Local sheriff and police departments not always as professional. That said - I'm always respectful and truthful when caught and they reciprocate. I've also gotten more than my fair share of warnings and admonishments to slow down.

Just had the last of 4 tickets fall off my license. Preaching to the Choir! That said I been pulled in Va. doing well in excess of 20 miles over the speed limit. All written up for 19 mph over. I have lived in Virginia my whole adult life and think highly of the State police. Local sheriff and police departments not always as professional. That said - I'm always respectful and truthful when caught and they reciprocate. I've also gotten more than my fair share of warnings and admonishments to slow down.
You must have connections. I didn't argue with him. He asked why I was changing lanes the way I was and I said I was passing cars. That's not reckless driving. I even have it recorded on my phone. I actually didn't even ask any questions until after he told me I was getting a ticket for reckless driving. When I asked what I did that was reckless he said he wasn't going to argue with me about it. I just wanted to know what I did wrong. So I can't have the same respect for them that you do. I guess that's why they say you come to VA on vacation and leave on probation.

I was not implying that you did anything to provoke the LEO. In fact, I posted my situation on this forum with one cop on I66 in which I believe he was the direct cause of my speeding by riding right up on me and tailgating me. Any way I was only saying that I've generally not found that Va. Cops are any worse than other states.

You must have connections. I didn't argue with him. He asked why I was changing lanes the way I was and I said I was passing cars. That's not reckless driving. I even have it recorded on my phone. I actually didn't even ask any questions until after he told me I was getting a ticket for reckless driving. When I asked what I did that was reckless he said he wasn't going to argue with me about it. I just wanted to know what I did wrong. So I can't have the same respect for them that you do. I guess that's why they say you come to VA on vacation and leave on probation.

I've been pulled over by idiots with an attitude that proceeded to back themselves out on to a major highway (a no-no Mr. Policeman), and I've been pulled by Staties that were kind and had a sense of humor, one gave me a warning, the other gave me a ticket...I don't classify every cop here as one way. I think you have good and bad in every profession, from state to state. Sounds like you just got unlucky that day and caught one in a bad mood; doesn't mean that's how they all are.

I'll never forget the first speeding ticket I got that stuck (I'd gotten out of a previous one). I was in traffic, some idiot on my bumper, so I got aggravated and I sped up, got out of his/her way, and that's when we both passed a State Trooper. Well, the trooper pulled me, and the person that I was getting out of the way for headed on down the road. I was certain the cop would hear my plea and give me a free pass, so I even told him "Look, I was only speeding because the guy behind me was right on my a$$..." and he replied (and I'll never forget it, because he said it with almost a chuckle) "Well, was he chasing you?!" :laugh:

I cracked, and smiled and said "No..." and got the speeding ticket...fair enough, speeding is speeding...

I've been pulled over by idiots with an attitude that proceeded to back themselves out on to a major highway (a no-no Mr. Policeman), and I've been pulled by Staties that were kind and had a sense of humor, one gave me a warning, the other gave me a ticket...I don't classify every cop here as one way. I think you have good and bad in every profession, from state to state. Sounds like you just got unlucky that day and caught one in a bad mood; doesn't mean that's how they all are. I'll never forget the first speeding ticket I got that stuck (I'd gotten out of a previous one). I was in traffic, some idiot on my bumper, so I got aggravated and I sped up, got out of his/her way, and that's when we both passed a State Trooper. Well, the trooper pulled me, and the person that I was getting out of the way for headed on down the road. I was certain the cop would hear my plea and give me a free pass, so I even told him "Look, I was only speeding because the guy behind me was right on my a$$..." and he replied (and I'll never forget it, because he said it with almost a chuckle) "Well, was he chasing you?!" :laugh: I cracked, and smiled and said "No..." and got the speeding ticket...fair enough, speeding is speeding...

Fair enough. And maybe my argument isn't with the police as much as it is the the motor vehicle codes and the justice system. I understand what you everyone is saying. I'm just saying that based on my and others that I know experiences, VA is not the place to drive through if you don't have to. There is no reason why someone should have a criminal offense on their record as a result of passing cars while people have multiple DUI or DWI's and have a cleaner record than I do now.

I guess I run hot and cold on this issue, Sometimes, I'd rather they write tickets for everyone going over the speed limit, even 1 mph! It's called a limit for a reason. That way everyone would slow down and get there eventually, and alive. I hate the atmosphere of having to speed to not get run over and then getting picked off by a cop. Or even worse go as fast as you can get away with. Unfortunately, the reality is that most places there are not enough cops to enforce the laws we have so they are enforced sporadically and few actually follow them. On my morning commute I regularly see people going 20+ mph over (sometimes even more) and rarely see anyone pulled over, must be shift change for the cops. Set the law and enforce the law. I got most of my speed jollies satisfied while stationed in Germany. Most speed limits are perfectly fine travelling speeds and I'd be happy following them. Of course I have my moments just like everyone else, and I'll pay the consequeces when caught.

Fair enough. And maybe my argument isn't with the police as much as it is the the motor vehicle codes and the justice system. I understand what you everyone is saying. I'm just saying that based on my and others that I know experiences, VA is not the place to drive through if you don't have to. There is no reason why someone should have a criminal offense on their record as a result of passing cars while people have multiple DUI or DWI's and have a cleaner record than I do now.

Well, I'll elaborate and help your cause here a bit because a few years ago, our great state of Virginia passed a law that, in a nutshell, stated if an out of state vehicle and a VA-tagged vehicle were both speeding on I-95, going 15+ over (I believe that was the limit over), police were to target the VA drivers and ticket them over the out-of-state drivers. Let me tell you what, Virginia drivers were pissed, and I assure you, I was one of them. Profiling much Virginia?? Come on?! After months of arguments and complaints, the law was repealed and thankfully no one's tried to present anything like it since.

Somehow, I've been fortunate, and it's not for lack of trying to get caught. Going just 1 mph over? Pfft...my norm is 6-7 mph over, all of the time, in every single speed limit. Is it right? No, but I pass cops all of the time and never get pulled. This is on my Busa or in my Mustang. The last ticket I did get was maybe 3 years ago - I was in a Toyota Tacoma...talk about a disappointment! Before that, a stinkin' 4-door Pontiac Sunbird, and it was 1993! So, I'm not Irish, but I've got their luck I guess...now that I've said that, I'll be posting up tomorrow all about today's speeding ticket on my drive home :rofl:

I've been pulled over by idiots with an attitude that proceeded to back themselves out on to a major highway (a no-no Mr. Policeman), and I've been pulled by Staties that were kind and had a sense of humor, one gave me a warning, the other gave me a ticket...I don't classify every cop here as one way. I think you have good and bad in every profession, from state to state. Sounds like you just got unlucky that day and caught one in a bad mood; doesn't mean that's how they all are.

I'll never forget the first speeding ticket I got that stuck (I'd gotten out of a previous one). I was in traffic, some idiot on my bumper, so I got aggravated and I sped up, got out of his/her way, and that's when we both passed a State Trooper. Well, the trooper pulled me, and the person that I was getting out of the way for headed on down the road. I was certain the cop would hear my plea and give me a free pass, so I even told him "Look, I was only speeding because the guy behind me was right on my a$$..." and he replied (and I'll never forget it, because he said it with almost a chuckle) "Well, was he chasing you?!" :laugh:

I cracked, and smiled and said "No..." and got the speeding ticket...fair enough, speeding is speeding...
You bring the tears don't you :poke:

Back