Court Date Results: 86 in a 55 in VA

mcoyote

Registered
Well, it could have been worse.

I showed up on time, wearing my good suit with driving record and ERC card (what the heck...) in hand. Waited four hours for my case. There were about half a dozen guys (all male) in front of me from Maryland with speeds above > 75 but < 82 (i.e., also speeding/reckless charges) on routes 211 or 340 who pleaded guilty or n/c, said they were sorry, and got reduced to 74 (just speeding).

I was not so lucky. When I got up there, with the fastest speed of the day that didn't involve an accident (86 in a 55 on 211 near Luray, one guy had 130 and got a continuance 'cuz he knew he was going to jail at some point) the prosecutor wanted to suspend my license, and my guess is the judge was going to buy it if I pleaded guilty outright. I did two things that saved my driving privs in VA:

(1) I pleaded n/c instead of guilty. I saw someone do this before me with good results -- it makes the prosecution go through an interview with the patrolman. PT Drake (my arresting ossifer) likes me a little, I think -- I spoke with him during a break earlier in the day. He went out of his way in court to describe the road as empty, my driving as not erratic, just fast, myself as very cooperative, etc.

(2) I kicked up a certified copy of my driving record from the MD MVA (clean). When I showed this to the prosecutor after the testimony he said that in light of the record they weren't going to seek suspension. Thanks to Vas (riding pal) for the good advice to bring that along -- pity it won't work again.

$200 fine, plus costs ($64), no reduction in speed, presumably all of the points (speeding + reckless). I'll be walking funny for a few days, but things are going to get real interesting when the data hits the MVA in 15 or so days (found that out from the clerk). I have decided for the time being not to preemptively contact my insurance agent, even though we're on a first-name basis (lives in College Park) and State Farm has all of our policies. Might change my mind on that, dunno...

Trust me, btw, all of the "where's your calibration certificate?"-type questions weren't going anywhere. When one guy went up earlier and simply said "not guilty -- I didn't do it" to a 65 in a 45, the JUDGE asked the patrolman for all of the paperwork on the gun and the calibration hardware and spent a good ten minutes checking it over -- just to see if he was on his toes, I guess. Requests for continuance were also all matched with the officer's schedule, so there were no mistrials that way either.

Could I have run for it? Dunno...was only a few miles from Thornton's Gap with lots of palces to turn off, but this was the patrolman's home turf, and even though I could've dusted him with one or two twists I could see the state police closing 211 a couple of miles up just to make my acquaintence. I don't think I would have gone far, and I just don't think I'm the "run from the law" type, to be honest. What would you have done, eh?

FWIW, my insurance carrier only polls driving records when there are accidents, and says they only care about the frequency of tickets, not the severity. We'll see...

I'd definately pulled over, instead of a ticket, your a felon going to jail IF you don't get away. Too risky if your life is doing good. Wow, there harsh out there.

Yeah Va is kinda tough got one in Emporia not to long ago in my car. Judge gave me a break from 66 in a 55 to 64, in order to keep it of the insurance record.

I'ld stop, I figure life is going to well to do something EXTREMELY stupid.. I'ld rather take my chances trying to plead my case on a speeding ticket and possible suspension of licence..than getting hung up on a felon charge that gonna follw me the rest of my life...which could be a lot shorter than planned if you hit something in the road in a hard turn at whoop A$$ speed.

You did right and we proud of you....

Yeah Va is kinda tough got one in Emporia not to long ago in my car. Judge gave me a break from 66 in a 55 to 64, in order to keep it of the insurance record.

I'ld stop, I figure life is going to well to do something EXTREMELY stupid.. I'ld rather take my chances trying to plead my case on a speeding ticket and possible suspension of licence..than getting hung up on a felon charge that gonna follw me the rest of my life...which could be a lot shorter than planned if you hit something in the road in a hard turn at whoop A$$ speed.

Yeah I agree, There are some times when it is tempting but if they have you dead to rights anyway...Get a decent attorney, fight a simple speeding violation and still have the chance to get a better radar detector down the road.

<span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:orangered'>BUT,</span></span>

The other night just outside of Tampa, I had just passed a long line of slow movers in a hurry.  This of course means that I was traveling at around 130-140 "Briefly".  Well just as I pulled back into my lane and sat up starting to brake for a corner, a County Sheriff came around the bend.  I figure I was going about 120 at this point in a 45mph zone.  I hit the brakes hard but in my mirror I saw brakes and a large dirt cloud...I did the math in my head and I know I am going to jail and loosing my license anyway...So yeah...I tucked in and nailed it.   It's my home stomping grounds and I know the road well, railed along at about 150 or so for a couple of minutes then cooled out and turned off onto a different road, nailed it for about 3-4 more minutes then started getting back into civilization.  I slowed to posted and pulled into a 7-11 just a few miles later.  Parked the bike, got out of my leather and helmet, got a drink, smoked a cig hung out for a little while and then tip toe'd home.  Never did see any LEO's...  

What concerns me now is that it was my regular stomping ground, 3-4 times a week...  What do I do if I run into the same Deputy?  Can he still get me?  Will he be waiting with friends?  Would it be evading if he never actually made it behind me?  I mean I never did see him after that first corner, and I never did see any lights...

It wasn't the best idea for sure, but at some point you gotta know your screwed anyway.  I was justifying it to myself by saying "hey, I never did see any flashers"  it Helps me sleep anyway...  Stupid stuff for sure, guess it's just one of those things... Seriously though this isn't "ME" kinda behaviour either, hell ask Mikeyusf, I'm the mellow till it makes you cry kinda rider...I am not trying to be cool or justify my behaviour, just thought I would share with somebody...Hell the wife does'nt even know...flame away if you feel the need...but I allready know it's a stupid thing to do...

Yeah I agree, There are some times when it is tempting but if they have you dead to rights anyway...Get a decent attorney, fight a simple speeding violation and still have the chance to get a better radar detector down the road.

<span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:orangered'>BUT,</span></span>

The other night just outside of Tampa, I had just passed a long line of slow movers in a hurry. This of course means that I was traveling at around 130-140 "Briefly". Well just as I pulled back into my lane and sat up starting to brake for a corner, a County Sheriff came around the bend. I figure I was going about 120 at this point in a 45mph zone. I hit the brakes hard but in my mirror I saw brakes and a large dirt cloud...I did the math in my head and I know I am going to jail and loosing my license anyway...So yeah...I tucked in and nailed it. It's my home stomping grounds and I know the road well, railed along at about 150 or so for a couple of minutes then cooled out and turned off onto a different road, nailed it for about 3-4 more minutes then started getting back into civilization. I slowed to posted and pulled into a 7-11 just a few miles later. Parked the bike, got out of my leather and helmet, got a drink, smoked a cig hung out for a little while and then tip toe'd home. Never did see any LEO's...

What concerns me now is that it was my regular stomping ground, 3-4 times a week... What do I do if I run into the same Deputy? Can he still get me? Will he be waiting with friends? Would it be evading if he never actually made it behind me? I mean I never did see him after that first corner, and I never did see any lights...

It wasn't the best idea for sure, but at some point you gotta know your screwed anyway. I was justifying it to myself by saying "hey, I never did see any flashers" it Helps me sleep anyway... Stupid stuff for sure, guess it's just one of those things... Seriously though this isn't "ME" kinda behaviour either, hell ask Mikeyusf, I'm the mellow till it makes you cry kinda rider...I am not trying to be cool or justify my behaviour, just thought I would share with somebody...Hell the wife does'nt even know...flame away if you feel the need...but I allready know it's a stupid thing to do...
You did the right thing.
You were passing, so I assume you knew what it would take to pass then slow down in a safe manner.
At the speed you passed the Revenue Agent he may not have your description. But if it were me I would borrow different leathers or buy new ones and be cool for the next few years in your area. Heck chalk up the cost of new colored leathers to the price of the fine you may have had, as well as bail for jail & lawyer fee & insurance costs. Do you believe that in a "free america" that what you did warrants the punishment's that you would be dealing with if you just pulled over like a sheep to be slaughtered?? Hell No! If america was the land of the Free Still you would NOT be worrieing about this type of Tyranny Called A POLICE STATE!
If you killed someone or hurt someone durring that pass then you should be held accountable, but you should not be punnished for doing something that might be a danger to those around you, who is to say what is dangerous and what is not, I MEAN IT'S ALL RELITIVE right?
Phuck the State & it's overbearing power. Tyrant's Run this world because people let them.

What concerns me now is that it was my regular stomping ground, 3-4 times a week... What do I do if I run into the same Deputy? Can he still get me? Will he be waiting with friends? Would it be evading if he never actually made it behind me? I mean I never did see him after that first corner, and I never did see any lights...

It wasn't the best idea for sure, but at some point you gotta know your screwed anyway. I was justifying it to myself by saying "hey, I never did see any flashers" it Helps me sleep anyway... Stupid stuff for sure, guess it's just one of those things... Seriously though this isn't "ME" kinda behaviour either, hell ask Mikeyusf, I'm the mellow till it makes you cry kinda rider...I am not trying to be cool or justify my behaviour, just thought I would share with somebody...Hell the wife does'nt even know...flame away if you feel the need...but I allready know it's a stupid thing to do...
[/QUOTE]

You need to shrink that leather...And hire Johnny Cochran...So that the next time the LEO see's and arrest you, you have the defense that it doesn't fit so you must acquit...

jump9.gif

Never known anyone to be convicted of a violation or crime simply based on the clothing they wore...At the speed you were traveling he didn't see shat...Your lucky but don't press it...

What concerns me now is that it was my regular stomping ground, 3-4 times a week...  What do I do if I run into the same Deputy?  Can he still get me?  Will he be waiting with friends?  Would it be evading if he never actually made it behind me?  I mean I never did see him after that first corner, and I never did see any lights...

It wasn't the best idea for sure, but at some point you gotta know your screwed anyway.  I was justifying it to myself by saying "hey, I never did see any flashers"  it Helps me sleep anyway...  Stupid stuff for sure, guess it's just one of those things...  Seriously though this isn't "ME" kinda behaviour either, hell ask Mikeyusf, I'm the mellow till it makes you cry kinda rider...I am not trying to be cool or justify my behaviour, just thought I would share with somebody...Hell the wife does'nt even know...flame away if you feel the need...but I allready know it's a stupid thing to do...

You need to shrink that leather...And hire Johnny Cochran...So that the next time the LEO see's and arrest you, you have the defense that it doesn't fit so you must acquit...

jump9.gif

Never known anyone to be convicted of a violation or crime simply based on the clothing they wore...At the speed you were traveling he didn't see shat...Your lucky but don't press it...[/QUOTE]
Ha HA...Can you imagine walking into traffic court with Cochran?  
 I figure I am pretty lucky, but I also figure I was gone so quickly that he/she probably didn't even know where to start.  There is a NO Pursuit policy for the local LEO's, Unless I have comitted a felony the books say do not chase, I dunno and I am not going to make it a point to find out how closely they abide to that.  
 As for whether or not I need to watch myself out in my playground, I think I will be OK.  Black bike, Black leathers, Black gloves, and at those speeds all they could have seen of my bright ass helmet would have been a smear...
 Just to re-iterate, I am not really proud of this but I thought it was relevant to the topic of speeding tickets and legal matters...

Mcoyote, Sorry for HiJacking the mess outta your thread...

Back