Some  hold downs I made for my Bikes!

so why are you guys trying to compress the front suspension? it has got to be better than the suspension on the trailer

Just a personal preference but I would rather not load my modified suspension and keep it that way for hundreds of miles..

The new pitbull mount system also uses the rear axle as the locking point. Allowing the bike to move around is not going hurt a thing (provided it does not come in contact with anything)

Mr bogus:

I agree with you I am not trying to load the suspension at all. May be a slight preload on the rear. Trying to avoid what the cannnon dancers do to my front forks and to keep the rear from moving side to side. I know a picture is worth a thousand words and plan on getting them posted when I have time. I plan again on strapping down the front wheel. No load on the front forks. The wheel stay will help support the front wheel, while the front of the tire is locked in place with a strap and to the center support on my 5'X 8' trailer. Then strap the rear axle down first, only preloading the rear tire. Kind of like what pit bull is doing in concept, but yes theirs is hard mounted. Them use the one in the center to help support the bike some. Again.... I will post some pictures. I know I will be playing around with how it get strapped. I think 99busa had a video of the Habor freight front wheel stay and his concerns with it moving around some with and with out straps. I will try to find the post and the video.!!!

Thanks 99'Busa!!

object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZZFYDz9lw0k&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZZFYDz9lw0k&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

no prob. i think i mentioned in the PM the vid. is the WRONG strap location to the trailer. It should be from the rear pegs (my case) to around the stator cvr area. (A down and forward pull about 45*)

I'm with wag on the leverage issue. If I were you, I'd be much more concerned with the anchor points within the trailer. Most of those little trailers have very few strong points to mount a tiedown anchore. If you intend to haul two bikes, that will reduce your choices for anchor points even more? I'd be very concerned about the anchore points pulling out of the floor?

I use the Baxley Sport bike wheel chock and the PitBull Trailer restraint. No tie downs at all. I got the trailer restraint plate bolted to a metal crossmember of the trailer. Have towed it a few hundred miles now. No problems.
lurk.gif

You are on to something with your system. I still think bars with turn buckles to a solid part of the trailer. Straight down from the rear axle would be good and leaves room for the same system on a bike right next to yours.

Baxley - $225, PitBull Trailer restraint - $280 with shipping, total - $505. You could beat that price hands down.

will post pics. Soon!!! Haven't had time to work on the bike and trailer yet!!! G/F took my time away today!!!

I'm with wag on the leverage issue. If I were you, I'd be much more concerned with the anchor points within the trailer. Most of those little trailers have very few strong points to mount a tiedown anchore. If you intend to haul two bikes, that will reduce your choices for anchor points even more? I'd be very concerned about the anchore points pulling out of the floor?
tie down points can be reinforced pretty easily.. everything from adding a cross bar under the floor to 3/4" water proof plywood backers..

I just prefer to let the bikes suspension soak up the road a bit rather than having the bike tied down so hard that the suspension does not move at all..

beerchug.gif
you .. have a great Idea.. cept what Wag typed is true.. you will get optional wobble and bounce...from your shocks and the bike shall (sway too n fro n side to side).. <-- humm along to the song.. ... other than that.. looks great
cool.gif
.. or you can use it as a "hook-up' point for a drogue chute..( aka drag chute )..
thumb_up.gif

Tommorrow will be the day! And yes another reasons why I made them. I am tired of using my front forks to hold the bike in place and wanted somthing that would tie secure the bike better with out harm.

Well here we go! It seems to work, just haveinf the rear axle strapped down. I shake the bike side to side and seems to move some, like when I strap it down with cannon dancers and the 2 straps on the rear.

HPIM0742__Small_.JPG

Side shot! I only have it strapped by the rear axle. The front wheel has a strap to secure it in place. I will put some soft foam on the side of the wheel ckock to keep the rotors safe!

HPIM0740__Small_.JPG

Looks good Tim! Ill be the other Blue 08 at Fontana, Ill arrive Friday afternoon.

I am going to try the center straps too! Yes, over kill, but I am not one to destro
firedevil.gif
y such a nice bike!!!

Here is the center strapped side to side. More secure. Slight preload on rear suspension. Shake the hell out of the bike and it is safe!!!! The bike is not loaded on its suspension. The bike can move on the forks and rear shock. Again over kill, but a 10hour trip, should have no problems! Also the center rod can be used on 02 1k too. So all I need is another wheel chock for the other bike and I can take 2 on the trailer!!!

HPIM0744__Small_.JPG

Back