Some  hold downs I made for my Bikes!

EarlyBird

Donating Member
Registered
Hey All! I have been trying to ready for the Spring Busa Bash. I was getting worried on how I was going to tow my new 08 . I usually use cannon dancers on the handle bars and then strap the rear tire from side to side or the foot pegs. Well, I didn't want to do this to the new ride, and figured I would think of something. Well, I haven't seen anything like this, if there is something like this, well I don't the bones to throw at it. So I made it.....What you think? I will test fit the bike in the trailer on Sunday when I get time. I have a 5' X 8' trailer and I am using the Harbor Freight front wheel stay, to hold the front wheel in place. Then use the bar to strap down the bike. One in the center hollow tube. And the second one in the rear axle tube. This works on both my Suzuki's My 02 1k and the 08 hayabusa!!!

HPIM0730__Small_.JPG

So no pulling on the handle bars, or pegs, or places of major concern that my break or get messed up!!!

What did you use and how can I make a set?

A device like that could help me cram another bike into the trailer.

now that is brilliant! is simple, inexpensive and looks indestructible...

thumb_up.gif
thumb_up.gif

thumb_up.gif

Great idea!

A couple of thoughts. The connection points should be higher up on the bike. As low as your connection points are, it will cause more side to side stress as you're traveling. A higher point of connection would help immensely.

Also, when you connect up to the handlebars, you're able to compress the suspension which keeps the bike from bouncing around all over the place.

As a suggestion, take some over-the-handlebar straps with you just in case. You may find that you still need them after you've driven a few miles.

Let us know how they work out. I'd love to find out that everything I said up there is crap!
biggrin.gif

--Wag--

GENIUS!

I say hard bars with turn buckles to tie down points for the rear axle.

The center point will be moving up and down going down the road as the bikes suspension works so use tie downs there and pre-load the suspension some.

Awesome!

No problem guys, I can take the comments. Yes, I have some concerns about the bike may be moving around, but again the front wheel is chauked in place with a front wheel stay (Habor Freight). I will be running a strap around the front wheel rim to my front trailer support. (Lock) the front wheel in place. Then run the straps from the center hollow axle tube and the rear axle tube. It should hold the bike from side to side and put some downward force to hold the bike in place. Again, I will check this out Sunday. I am at work til 6pm tonight.

Oh, you are going to laugh out me for the parts I used to make it!!!! I used a Tire lug wrench ($10) from Wally World. Then some S.S. shackles from Home Depot ($20. I cut carefully the weld on the tire lug wrench. Thn cut off the lug wrench ends to get the cone shape adapters. Drilled out the cones centers to 5/8" so to slide on the shaft of the lug wrench. I used 2 nuts to help support the larger lug end cones to keep from wobbling. The ends I drilled a 5/16" hole for the shackles to pass through. I try to keep some play in the shaft so I can shim the assemble snug into the hollow tubes. 0->------<-0 example of how it looks when in place in the tube!!!

I understand the bike will move some. But with it supported by the front tire. The front locked in place by a strap and a front wheel chaulk....no side to side movement. Then pulled down by the center and then with the back alxe together. Both holding it side to side and down to compress some of the suspension in the rear. I feel the bike shouldn't have any issues. I have run with the cannon dancers before and the front suspension did move some and messed with my hand grips. Also, the angle of the straps will rub into the fairing (Had this problem too. The straps will vibrate while driving and can come in contact with the body. I am trying to avoid that problem with my 08 busa, as well hurting any other parts like handle bars, hand grips, bent foot pegs etc. I will post my findings!!!!!!
beerchug.gif

Great idea!

A couple of thoughts.  The connection points should be higher up on the bike.  As low as your connection points are, it will cause more side to side stress as you're traveling.  A higher point of connection would help immensely.

Also, when you connect up to the handlebars, you're able to compress the suspension which keeps the bike from bouncing around all over the place.

As a suggestion, take some over-the-handlebar straps with you just in case.  You may find that you still need them after you've driven a few miles.

Let us know how they work out.  I'd love to find out that everything I said up there is crap!  
biggrin.gif

--Wag--
Wag is correct. You need to be above the center of gravity. I did a similar idea a few years back for my Busa. I used the 2 holes in the frame for a hoop (looked like a large horse shoe)that looped over the seat so the ties could attach at the height of my waist while sitting on the bike. Let leverage work for you. Tie straps that low will have to do a lot of work,.........unless you have the front wheel REALLY SECURE!!! Just my two cents!! Good idea, nevertheless.

well i would have said a higher pt for the straps too except you are using 2 straps for the side to side motion so I think it will be okay. 2 low straps are probably as good as 1 high strap.
thumb_up.gif
looks pretty ingenius.
beerchug.gif

No problem guys! Any and all concerns, experiences, or ideas I look forward to use from you guys to help insure that I keep form hurting the bike. I agree with the strap angles and height of things. I even thought of hard mounting the center or the axle to the trailer with the bars made. I have alot of ideas and not enough time to put them to use. Trying to keep things simple from a use point of view. Sunday will be the day I test what I have and go from there.

Back