Canyon Dancer with Heli bars

04 Limited Busa

Registered
I am thinking about putting some Heli bars on my Busa. When I brought it home from the dealer, I used a Canyon Dancer on the stock clip ons with no problem bending or breaking the bars. I put Heli bars on my last Busa and the instructions said not to use the Heli bars for tying the bike down for trailering and I can see that since the bars are welded at an angle where they slide in the upper clamp. Do you use a Canyon Dancer on helibars when trailering? Would it be better to get a Genmar riser to use the stock bars with a Canyon Dancer for trailering? I don’t see how to tie to the lower triple tree since you can’t get to it due to the fairing enclosure.

I am thinking about putting some Heli bars on my Hayabusa .

When I brought it home from the dealer,
I used a Canyon Dancer on the stock clip ons
with no problem bending or breaking the bars .

I put Heli bars on my last Hayabusa
and the instructions said not to use
the Heli bars for tying the bike down
for trailering and I can see that
since the bars are welded
at an angle where they
slide in the upper clamp .

Do you use a Canyon Dancer
on helibars when trailering ?

Would it be better to get a Genmar riser to use
the stock bars with a Canyon Dancer for trailering ?

I don’t see how to tie to the lower triple tree
since you can’t get to it due to the fairing enclosure .

If the bars can't handle Canyon Dancer restraints ~ not sure that I would trust them with my input *

I put a lot of effort into my stock bars ~ and they just have the 3/4" riser on them *

It is not a good ideas to compress the suspension of the bike to trailer. It can result in a busted fork seal. Yes people do it all the time, but that doesn't make it a good idea. Use a pit bull stand, best way period to trailer a bike. Also makes loading an easy, quick effort.

I am thinking about putting some Heli bars on my Busa. When I brought it home from the dealer, I used a Canyon Dancer on the stock clip ons with no problem bending or breaking the bars. I put Heli bars on my last Busa and the instructions said not to use the Heli bars for tying the bike down for trailering and I can see that since the bars are welded at an angle where they slide in the upper clamp. Do you use a Canyon Dancer on helibars when trailering? Would it be better to get a Genmar riser to use the stock bars with a Canyon Dancer for trailering? I don’t see how to tie to the lower triple tree since you can’t get to it due to the fairing enclosure.
Heli bars are not welded the are machined out of a solid bar.

Here are some shots of the Pit Bull stand, about $350. This is all holding the bike down, so your bikes suspension will help it absorb bumps in the trailer/bed too. Much safer and super easy.

20150905_114514.jpg

20150905_115315.jpg

20150905_115315-1.jpg

I also recommend the Pit Bull trailer restraint. I have 4 of them in my trailer and they work great. I don't worry about straps working loose and bikes falling on each other, and it frees up space in the trailer so bikes can sit closer together.

can 1 man put the bikes in these? and nothin to hold the front? seems really cool.

Yes, just roll over the base and then click the arm in place. Very easy. This is all you need, front/rear end is allowed to bounce around on the bike's suspension.

It is not a good ideas to compress the suspension of the bike to trailer. It can result in a busted fork seal. Yes people do it all the time, but that doesn't make it a good idea. Use a pit bull stand, best way period to trailer a bike. Also makes loading an easy, quick effort.

How is a 500 mile ride in the back of a truck going to damage the fork seals when the same ride without the truck with me on the bike is going to compress the forks more and impart more impacts?

cheers
ken

How is a 500 mile ride in the back of a truck going to damage the fork seals when the same ride without the truck with me on the bike is going to compress the forks more and impart more impacts?

cheers
ken

Ken, I got this directly from the Ohlins factory tech who setup my forks:

"Fork seals are pretty good at maintaining seals from quickly applied and released pressure but are less resistant to lower pressures applied over a long period. So while strapping down your forks may or may not cause a seal to leak, it is a risk of damaging the forks and I wouldn't do it."

I know some pretty knowledgeable guys who think this is B.S., I believe it and I have seen a bike roll up to the track on a trailer with oil leaking all over the forks. However you feel about the risk of fork damage, the Pitbull system is still a great way to trailer your bike IMHO. The first time you roll up into the trailer and just snap the bike into place you will think "now that's the way to do this".

I've used a Canyon Dancer on several bikes on my lift and on a few while transporting them in a truck. None of which had HeliBars but I just installed them on my Busa and have no worries about using them next time it's on the lift. Haven't transported my Busa anywhere (it's too reliable):Dand I don't crank them down too tight in any event. When transporting a bike I would lay over the bike to compress the suspension about a third to a half and then tighten the Dancer and rear straps. This is with or w/o using the side stand. On hard bumps or dips in the roadway the bike's suspension still had room to flex w/o the bike being loose or unsteady. I brought a Ducati 999 just over 1,100 miles in a pickup from Montana over the Donner Summit (a continual construction zone) and the bike was firm in place and the straps were tight. I brought a Triumph 955 Sprint RS 500 miles from SoCal to NorCal, also w/o a problem. What I think may cause fork seepage is if the forks are compressed way way down for a long time period of time.

My old mate once transported 2 x Gen 2 Busa 's in a enclosed H/Duty bike trailer from Adelaide to Darwin , 1881 miles there , and 1881 mile back to Adelaide again in 1 week total . The bikes , (one was my Busa ) front wheel in guide channel chock , were then strapped down 4 floor anchor points each , with compression on the suspension , enough to keep under firm load . The suspension on the bikes , my mates running FGRT208 forks and TTX36 rear and mine at the time , stock equipped with Ohlins cartridges and SU046 rearshock . The bikes were unloaded at Darwin Hidden Valley Raceway , track day racing for 3 days then homeward bound the next day . Luckily no leaks and or trouble . We did use small lengths of tie down strap with loops either end sown in , to reach in around fork tops , to then tie down secure without damaging bodywork .

To answer your original question... using a Canyon Dancer will not cause any problem to your HeliBars.

I've had HeliBars on my 2013 since I purchased it almost 5 years ago and regularly use a Canyon Dancer.

Back