So what gives with the reflectors?

AJAY

Registered
I'm leaving mine on the bike. I figure they'ere a good safety feature to have here in northern Virginia near DC with a million mindless zombies driving around with cellphones glued to their ears.

But it seems more than a few .oRg members really hate these reflectors. Is it just because the little round ones Suzuki uses looks like they're stuck on as an afterthought?

Maybe there's something out there that fits the shape better. My old Katana had a little rectangular reflector in back that looked better than the round one. Probably would look better on the fork too if you lined it up with the fork.

Suzuki_Hayabusa_GSX_1300-R,_2001.jpg

Leave them on as they do add to your low light conspicuity. I'm keeping mine on as well.

The only bike I ever removed the reflectors on was my first 1984 XLX-61. That's only because I was young and stupid :whistle:

The reflectors really do look like an afterthought, and the side reflectors are pretty much worthless unless you are parked sideways across a traffic lane.

Reflector removal as soon as I got it home, soon followed by sticker removal.:laugh:

But I know where your coming from. I've never cut my shovel off, for some reason it just doesn't offend me that much.:dunno:

remove them from the bike and then get a vest with bright reflective tape on it

As always; customizing is a personal choice. That is why we mostly ride alone. If you ride after dusk and into the night, any tool you can have to make yourself more visible IS a plus!

When you're on the bike and riding,, you can't see the reflectors,, so, SO WHAT! Take any advantage you can to save yourself and keep idiots from hitting you. Cagers drive in a cloud of self-absorption with countless distractions. Take what you can to stay alive!
icon14.gif

+1 I think this could be the official ANTI "anti reflector" movement..:rofl:
All the gear in the world will not help you if you are TBONED at nite.. imho

+1 I think this could be the official ANTI "anti reflector" movement..:rofl:
All the gear in the world will not help you if you are TBONED at nite.. imho

Yeah, but you could just stay glued to your computer and have a heart attack.

Decide your level of risks in life! Live or live like a zombie. :whistle:

They ARE an afterthought due to US DOT regulations. There are other countries that didn't get the reflectors.

I left mine on for two years then one day decided they really do kill the fluid looks of the bike and removed them.
I doubt they would ever help to avoid a moving accident. Unlike a bicycle you already have the bikes lighting system so it's not like you're invisible. I do think they make a huge difference when parked in an unlit parking lot at night...too easy for the cager to not see the Busa as they're backing up.

remove them from the bike and then get a vest with bright reflective tape on it

Agree, many jackets have reflective piping, emblems, etc that are more visible than the two little reflectors and they don't stand out or look terrible. I have seen some riders in the area with the high visibility vests, more on BMWs than anything else. They don't look as well but man do they stand out. I've also seen a couple guys with reflective tape on helmets, if done properly it doesn't look bad at all on some helmets.

Either way it's a personal choice as to how much or how little you reflect, more is never going to hurt.

probably something to do with outlaw DNA in bikers working along with our sense of esthetics.
Posted via Mobile Device

Its a matter of choice in my opinion. My choice....I'm taking mine off. I ride a masterpeice of advanced High performance machinery and not a training bicycle! LOL! I do beleive in safety and I might add some Neon on the inside of the cowlings that will project outward through the side air ducts of the left and right cowlings as well as the ports on the sides of the tail as an effect that will replace the reflectors more efficiently and more tastefully. My padded jacket also has some tastefull reflecting designs. If this doesn't save me, then the driver must be drunk off his a- - and no type of reflector will save me then! :-(

Its a matter of choice in my opinion. My choice....I'm taking mine off. I ride a masterpeice of advanced High performance machinery and not a training bicycle! LOL! I do beleive in safety and I might add some Neon on the inside of the cowlings that will project outward through the side air ducts of the left and right cowlings as well as the ports on the sides of the tail as an effect that will replace the reflectors more efficiently and more tastefully. My padded jacket also has some tastefull reflecting designs. If this doesn't save me, then the driver must be drunk off his a- - and no type of reflector will save me then! :-(

+1:thumbsup:

Back