OK so what about the Katana

TallTom

Registered
I have a lady rider friend who has been looking to pick up a second bike. Wants it to be a sportbike. She realizes she is not up tp the level of the Busa. I have been asking her to point out the look she likes since she loves the looks of the Busa. She likes the full fairing look. She keeps gravitating to the Katana. 750, Inline 4. Suzuki, so far so good? I really don't know much about the reputation or manners of the bike. Is it air or watercooled etc.? I'm thinking Gixxer750 or Honda 600RR like that but she likes the Katana looks better. There has to be a "look" factor there. They also seem to be somewhat cheaper. That causes me to ask even more questions. So my Busa brethren and sistren, any inputs on a Katana? She likes the sportbike performance (lightness, balance and zip power). Is the Katana a good choice for someone that will probably quickly learn to lean it over and push it a little. She likey the sportbike rides and OK she like the zip they have also.

Having owned 2 Kats I say this it is a great starter bike. It is comparable to the Busa in terms of weight, but lacks the power. If she wants something that is flickable the Katana is not the bike for her. It will allow her to get up to speed, but I found its capabilities were outdone quickly and hence the reason I moved up to the Busa. Didn't have any trouble with either Katana, in terms of maintenance, but there are not a lot of aftermarket items available for it.

(BigBSBusa @ Mar. 20 2007,14:43) Having owned 2 Kats I say this it is a great starter bike.  It is comparable to the Busa in terms of weight, but lacks the power.  If she wants something that is flickable the Katana is not the bike for her.  It will allow her to get up to speed, but I found its capabilities were outdone quickly and hence the reason I moved up to the Busa.  Didn't have any trouble with either Katana, in terms of maintenance, but there are not a lot of aftermarket items available for it.
+1

Great starter bike.. Very reliable, time tested bike. It's not fuel injected, so factor that in as well..

I'm 16 and am looking into getting my first sportbike soon. "I've ridden dirt for a long time, and quite a few different bikes!"

I'm thinking into one of the older Gixxers, 600-750-maybe even a litre-bike.

If she still want's stocky body molding how about one of the 2003 range Gixxer 600-750's, or 1000's if she want's some SERIOUS power. They're kinda stocky in some of the older versions, they are also used and MUCH cheaper. I found one here for under 4000 i think.
super.gif

How long she been riding?

BTW, i think it's great your helping your "ladyfriend" find a bike!
beerchug.gif

I rode a katana 1100 for a few years and had some frends that rode the 750's and 600's the katana is an oil cooled bike and is much mileder than an all out sport bike such as the gixer. There is no compairison between the power and performance of the gixer. The katana is a good reliable bike for the first timer they have been around for years and have not changed much on the bulit proof engin and drive train. I am sure she would be happy if that what she wants.
biggrin.gif
And there are plenty of mods out there for them too.

I cut my teeth on a Katana. I liked it, and like they said above it feels a lot like the Busa, just a lot less power. If she's into flickability of bikes, and possibly getting on a track (road course) with it, I'd get a GSXR-600. Even the 750 Kat has less power than the newer 600s.

But if she's just a general rider, and likes the Kat, no harm no foul. Go for it! Bike decisions are a personal preference really.

if she purchased the Katana she'll probably get rid of it after a short while (or want to anyway), so why waste time and money with it. cbr 600,gixxer 600 or 750 would get my vote.

like everyone else...katana is a great starter bike...bulletproof motor...the bikes have been tested through time...they are about as reliable as they come...definitely not flickable and are down on power...but that also means down on insurance costs, etc...I loved my old bike and my brother has a 750 and he enjoys it...usually you can snag them pretty cheap if you take your time and look around...good luck finding a bike!

Friend of mine bought an FZ6 a while back. Now he's kinda gotten board with it and wishes to DEATH he'd gotten an R6.

He SPECIFICALLY told me to get what i want. I'm gonna get a gixxer of some sort. Even if i have to grow into it slowly.

Just as long as she get's something she won't want to get rid of in just a few months.

Hope she enjoy's whatever she get's!
beerchug.gif

I personally dont prefer the Katana, based on a different view of the arguments above. people say" That's great! Love it, you should get one because it's a dog in both power and performance! Because thats what new riders need...less power." But under the assumption that people grow into bikes a 600cc sportbike is a starter...and honestly you can't go wrong with the looks on almost any of the new 600cc sportbikes.

Get a 600cc sportbike and skip the Kat. I rode a Honda CBR600RR today and loved it. Very docile, and exceptionally light, one of the more fun bikes I have ridden in a long time. If I get a track bike that is what I will be looking into, just pure nice.

But at least....that's my opinion.

Seems the Katana was a stepping stone to the busa for many of us. I was on a 99 kat and went to a 2000 busa... the kat was MUCH more comfortable but was limited in the power... looked good and rode well, I would reccommend it.

cap

I loved my Kat 750. I had ridden before, about 15 years ago, and it was a great bike to get back into riding with. yes, it's a dog, yes, it doesn't have the power that a gixxer does. But it's durable, and it looks good.

I rode with busa people the whole time I had it. I didn't have problems in the corners, and I always managed to catch up to the busas. (well OK, that was at stops, but it never let me down!
laugh.gif
)

Check out katriders.com. They've got tons of mods and information about them.

Tell her to look at a Honda VFR. That will have all the sport looks and the performance beyond a Katana. You might even like it too.

Kat is a good bike to start with. It's air cooled. You can raise the tail end to make it more responsive in the twisties. still running carb. Not that many mods out there either. Good all around bike. If she likes it go for it.

Mostly high marks on the Katana here. Even the low marks I appreciate hearing. She currently rides a V-Twin Suzuki. Has always been more of the sportbike type. She pushes that Volusia around pretty hard for a cruiser. I have a 4 cylinder Honda Magna (The detuned cousin to the above mentioned VFR) and she LOVES riding that bike. Took her about 4 hours to get VERY comfortable on it and she was already starting to lean it over in the twisties. She won't even ride her V-Twin if I'm on my Busa. She says its like riding alone....LOL. The VFR is a good bike based on the engine I know works in mine. I had sort of steered her into more the inline 4s. The V-4s are kind of a PITA to do any work on. And I want her very comfortable with doing her own maintenance etc. If its hard to do she will make an excuse not to.

The Katana seems to be lacking in power and really my advice to her is start out with low power. She tends to be competitive and I can see her riding past her abilities if she has it there to use.

I have been on the 750 Gixxers and that seems to be about what I can trust her on from her personality to grow in to and not out of soon. More bike than her skills right now but I will make her restrain herself if she rides with me. It isn't for me to say but she does ask for my advice and I have taught her how to ride better and she has asked me to help her take the next step up in bikes. I have to give her the best input I can as a friend. I steer her away from the liter bikes. Too much too soon for her. But she honestly hasn't showed me a liter bike she likes for the looks factor. She does like the Honda 600 (don't know exactly which series) RR type. It has the "look" she likes.

She sees herself on a Busa. Then she rides on the back of mine and gets off of it and says "OK I know this is more bike than I need". That will change in time but she needs the steps to get there.

Thanks guys. Keep the well intentioned points of view coming.

I had a Kat 750. I loved it, it is a great bike never had no problems with it. Remember the Busa is baseb off the katana platform.
beerchug.gif

I had a 2006 Katana 750 in Red and Silver. I loved it. Very comfortable and very reliable. It doen't have a large aftermarket following, but it's a pretty bike anyway. My only complaint was the "buzzing" in the handle bars at cruise RPM. That was fixed with some bar snake, but I do wish Suzuki would have addressed the problem a little better.

I've always liked the looks of the Kat. but it's just too dated.

Personally I'd go with an SV650, it's lightyears ahead of a Katana in every aspect. Badass liquid cooled fuel injected V-Twin engine, good brakes (ABS now available), good suspension, nice riding position, large 4.5 gallon fuel tank and it's incredibly light at 363 lbs dry. Price is very reasonable too.

(Turbo-Torch @ Mar. 20 2007,19:39) I've always liked the looks of the Kat. but it's just too dated.

Personally I'd go with an SV650, it's lightyears ahead of a Katana in every aspect.  Badass liquid cooled fuel injected V-Twin engine, good brakes (ABS now available), good suspension, nice riding position, large 4.5 gallon fuel tank and it's incredibly light at 363 lbs dry.  Price is very reasonable too.
I agree that the SV-650 would be a perfect bike for all the reasons you state. But she doesn't like the naked bike look of it. I try and tell her if she has to put it down while learning, it will be a lot less expensive to repair. ...yadda yadda.....doesn't matter she doesn't like the way it looks.

BTW I LOVE your sig line. Both of the Honda Turbos are great examples of technology leaps and very desireable. Rock on buddy. Way to snag some good metal for the stable.

Back