Newbie fall for the remove the reflectors trick

Tetge

Registered
I posted a pic of my new bike and was told to lose the reflectors. Of course, after that, each time I looked at the bike they looked uglier and more wrong, so today I decided to lose them after checking the Calif vehicle code and finding them legal but not required. So, I got a 12mm socket and my big breaker bar and got rid of the fronts.
Then I attempted to remove the backs. But they did not seem to wish to cooperate. Finally I used a Phillips bit and a rachet handle to loosen the screws. But then, the screws just turned and did not wish to come out. Finally I thought to remove the round reflector and then I was able to pull down on the bracket while turning the screw and it finally came loose. BUT , I clearly heard the sound of a nut rolling down into the bodywork. Yes, the reflector bracket screws were not secured by a fixed fastener and now the nuts were roaming loose in the rear bodywork. And, I had to continue removing the reflector, because, I could not reinstall it. So now, there are four nuts, two on each side, somewhere in the rear body work of the bike.
And, I know that I should somehow remove the bodywork and get them out, but, the body work seems attached to the tail light and the key for the seat and it has all these little plastic pins. It does not look friendly at all.
Anyway, I suppose I should have done a search on removing the reflectors but who would have thought that this task could have any complications?
At least the bike looks better now, but, it might have a rattle.
Being a newbie is a dangerous business.

jsut remove the front most black pin by pushing a pin/small allen wrench into the middle part of it.. and thats where you will find them.. may have to pull the body work out a touch.. but they are there

or thats where they ended up on mine.

congrats on losing them... they made you look we-todd-ed.. you just didn't realize it as fast as the rest of us.. lol

Glad you had a little fun.... thats the main thing...
biggrin.gif

Here's a simple solution: Just tap (hard) on the underside of the rear bodywork. The nuts WILL bounce forward and fall out onto the ground. Trust me!

I strongly believe in a full disassembly and re-assembly (body removal) in order to familiarize yourself with the bike. This act will teach the owner where everything is located and how to perform some of the most common modifications with confidence. Effectively you will be forced to analyze the Owner's Manual beyond doing an oil change and will learn many more things to satisfy your curiosity along the way. Just find yourself an old egg carton for the fasteners and go to work with your tool kit. You can have the busa completely naked in a few minutes if you know how to handle a few Hex keys, plastic body pins, and bolts. Just be very careful when loosening the phillips screws on the tail section or you will ruin the heads. You need to apply very firm pressure pushing down onto them while turning them because they are secured with thread sealant. Wait to drink the beer until after re-assembly because you may lose track of a few things.

Thanks for the feedback. I got three of the four nuts out of there. The fourth is hiding somewhere clever since I pounded on the bottom of the body work and rocked the bike on its suspension etc, but it did not emerge. I used the loosen the body work and remove the nuts method and it worked although they did not seem to wish to come out even then. I read this board quite a bit after I first got the bike, so I knew about the push pins, which came in really handy since I had to disassemble the entire bike to put on my center stand.
Now, either the fourth nut will stay put or it will bounce out, or I'll find it down at the bottom of the body work some day.
Last task to come later this week HeliBars. I am still wondering how the tank hinges because I have to relocate the enrichener cable per the online instructions. But, I guess I'll be finding out after the bars arrive.
Then, I am never modding another thing on the bike.

you can do all of the stuff above OR spend 15 minutes to remove the rear tail section plastic. Here's how. Take a small allen wrench and poke the 6 plastic rivet centers (located at the bottom edge of the fairing) in 1/2 way or until the first click. remove them by grabbing the whole pins with your fingernails and pull them out. grab your 12mm wrench and remove the four grab bar bolts. grab your 5mm allen wrench and remove the frankenstein bolts right behind the front seat. stick your key in the hump release andwatch how the cable works then remove the cable by pulling it out of the yellow holder. with your fingers move the slider to the center then remove the cable end. grab your 4mm allen wrench and remove the two screws below the front seat. you will see 4 more push rivets in the middle of the fairing in between the front and rear seat. Take them out just like the rest and remove the plastic brace that it held in place. Take your phillips head screwdriver and pull the two screws in the center of the round rubber seat bushings. Make sure that i didn't miss anything by gently making sure everything is loose then spread the two halves gently apart and lift up and off. The tailight electrical will stop you from taking it too far but you'll see that's easily separated as well. Once you've done it you'll see your fears were not very well founded:;):

<!--EDIT|MoosesBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1119969866 -->

Please send any unwanted reflectors to me as I'm planning on fitting extra ones on my 'Busa.

All I did was tap the undertail with the screwdriver and the nuts just popped out at the bottom. It is open in there, you just have to knock them around a little.

I would agree with taking the bike apart if for nothing else, to learn. I have had the tail section off but I will be darned if I can figure out the Side/Front farings...

I removed the exhaust and the side fairings to do the centerstand. I removed the seat and propped the tank up to relocate the enrichener cable since I am going to put on HeliBars. I spent the last hour or two trying to figure out how to adjust the headlight which is useless. And, yes, I used the search feature and I read all the various methods. But, it appears that I will have to disassemble the front of the bike to get the headlight acceptable. I even did a small version of the sidestand mod since I have a centerstand.
So, I have been there already.
Now, UPS delivered the HeliBars just now so its back to the garage for some more fun.

GET A SCORPIO ALARM , GREAT GROUP BUY , GREAT PRICE ! AND WHEN INSTALLED YOU CAN GET YOUR NUTZ OUT AND SLEEP AT NIGHT ,SMALL PRICE FOR PIECE OF MIND!
biggrin.gif

While I was pushing the bike around and fooling around with the Helibar installation, the fourth nut just popped out of the bike onto the floor of my garage. So I don't need an alarm because the garage is where the bike lives unless I am riding it. And there are better things to take in the garage than the Busa. But, the HeliBars made a noticable difference in the amount of weight I am putting on my wrists so they will, I believe, really make the bike better. And, the suspension settings that I followed from the pinned thread above made the bike much more planted.
So, this board is very useful as it contains real tested information that can help a Busa newbie get up and running quickly.
Now, to get the headlights adjusted and I am all done.

Glad to hear it all came together! The headlight is a pain in the a$$. Adjust a little at a time. Adjust, ride, repeat.

I did find that it helped to do this at night (jk
tounge.gif
)

I'm also going for the Heli bars soon.

Glad to hear it all came together!  The headlight is a pain in the a$$.   Adjust a little at a time.  Adjust, ride, repeat.

I did find that it helped to do this at night (jk
tounge.gif
)

I'm also going for the Heli bars soon.
Both the vertical adjusters are on the right side. I am sort of assuming that the bottom one would be turned out (counter clockwise) to raise the beam and that the top one would be turned in to raise the beam, but, I did not see that covered anywhere. And, the adjustment can be done to some extent, up against a wall or closed garage door, even in the daytime.

While I was pushing the bike around and fooling around with the Helibar installation, the fourth nut just popped out of the bike onto the floor of my garage.  So I don't need an alarm because the garage is where the bike lives unless I am riding it. And there are better things to take in the garage than the Busa.  But, the HeliBars made a noticable difference in the amount of weight I am putting on my wrists so they will, I believe, really make the bike better.  And, the suspension settings that I followed from the pinned thread above made the bike much more planted.  
So, this board is very useful as it contains real tested information that can help a Busa newbie get up and running quickly.
Now, to get the headlights adjusted and I am all done.
Just because its in your garage, doesnt mean its safe, I think a member posted up not too long ago his got lifted from inside his garage! Get the Scorpio,I'm waiting for mine now,Every little bit of protection helps! NJ.

Back