Gen 2 front end on a Gen1

HawaiiFiveOh

Registered
After searching for a little while it seems I may be in no better, if not worse shape than when I started looking for some info on this swap.
My biggest complaint with the gen1 front end is the gold color of the fork legs. The easiest solution seems to be a swap to the new forks, not to mention the better caliper setup I would gain. As far as I can I would need to open up the LOWER triple and everything above that should work. I get a little confused when it comes to the wheel. I want to use my original wheel just because I just put new rotors on it. Could someone tell me what spacers I need to put where to make this all work with the least headache? I would hate to have to settle on the silver forks from a gen1.

Front end swap

I did it. Here's my bike.

IMG_0024.jpg

You could just replace the forks with an older model, They used to be silver

it would be a heck of a lot easier to just scuff your stock forks up, spray with and etch primer and paint them the color of your choice...

The older silver forks were my first and cheapest option. The more expensive and completely outlandish choice is the air ride forks that are all black from Tricky. Man would I love to have them:whistle: Somewhere in the middle left me with the gen 2 front end. I'm working on getting rid of anything shiny on the bike, sort of "stormtrooper-ing" it out and would like to stay away from the silver.

it would be a heck of a lot easier to just scuff your stock forks up, spray with and etch primer and paint them the color of your choice...

That would work fine for the upper part of the fork, it's the actual sliding part of the fork that bugs me. From what I've seen I'm gonna have to paint the upper part of the gen 2 also.

Here's a crazy question, does the bottom of the fork ( the black piece that the caliper bracket is part of) come off of the the fork tube? If so, could you swap the end pieces?

Back