So I got 86’ed from a barber shop this weekend

The shop lost a new customer...and pushed the available power to cause a dely to you...It is a minor inconvience in the big picture...who in this economy should act like that as a business owner / manager...in any case it is not right

no such thing. its simply discrimination.

There most certainly is such a thing, however it doesn't apply to this argument at all.

Reverse discrimination is when a "minority" candidate is hired over a more qualified "majority" candidate.

dont go to blancas barber, have you seen his hair?,,,, go to his kids barber, his cut is killer....(his old man could take some pointers from him)

There most certainly is such a thing, however it doesn't apply to this argument at all.

Reverse discrimination is when a "minority" candidate is hired over a more qualified "majority" candidate.
Reverse discrimination means engaging in actions that have a negative impact or that disfavor someone who was traditionally in a majority position. (noun).
being white used to be the majority now its not. now its reversed

Believe or not, there was (and still is depending upon how reluctant you are believing that discrimination does still exist) a purpose for the existence of the NAACP. As is the case with many things in our society, a few bad apples have spoiled the bunch, thus allowing those who've never had the need for it or experienced discrimination in the slightest to mock it and question it's need and application. I'll agree with you in that Sharpton and Jackson have sullied the reputation of the NAACP, no doubt, and I highly doubt that in your mind, there's anything that can be done to salvage or grasp the fact that such and organization is necessary. But to say that discrimation doesn't occur to minorities, simply because they're minorities is being very naive. And I'm not talking about on a haircut-scale either, but rather life-impacting things, like employment. I can easily count 4 times (since 2000) when I've been turned away from a job that I've been overly qualified for and had more experience than the next candidate but flat out told I wasn't getting the job because it would make some "uncomfortable".
I understand what you're going for, but your mocking only seems to show your lack of experience with discriminatory situations. Once again, I too detest some of the actions of those you've referenced...just for the record.

In response, for the record, I could see at one time that there was a purpose for the NAACP, and under it's original charter, might still have a purpose. But I think the place got overrun/co-opted with the Jesse's and the Al's of the movement, and therefore it deteriorated into the joke of what it is today, an organization for which I have little tolerance for.

I certainly, as a white man, have felt very little discrimination in my life that I am aware of, and I can't imagine being in your shoes. Also, for the record, some of the finest soldiers I've ever served with were Black, not that I cared, all I saw was Army Green.

III, I think you are a pretty smart and well-spoken guy. My post was not meant to mock and I'm certainly not trying to insult the black members of the .org; all I was pointing it out was that white people don't have a sole claim on being racists, it exists across the color spectrum. And just as, if the situation were reversed, if a white barber did that to a black man, I'd say out him in the paper too, and I'd no longer patronize him, either. The black barber could certainly have politely declined and said, "buddy, I'm not very good at cutting white guy's hair because it's different" and nobody would be offended. The 'cracker' part was unnecessary.

wrong. there most certainly is NOT such a thing as reverse discrimination. discrimination is decrimination no matter who does it to whom.

to think something is reverse descrimination is to say that you are superior to the one discriminating against you. doesnt exist. just like there is no such thing as reverse racism. ur either being racist against someone or your not. makes no difference what race a person is when the offense takes place.

wrong. there most certainly is NOT such a thing as reverse discrimination. discrimination is decrimination no matter who does it to whom.

to think something is reverse descrimination is to say that you are superior to the one discriminating against you. doesnt exist. just like there is no such thing as reverse racism. ur either being racist against someone or your not. makes no difference what race a person is when the offense takes place.

I agree with this. To say i was subjected to reverse racism would mean that i am normally the racist but not in this instance. You a racist or you are not, the race of the racist should not matter.

True, but I think y'all are disagreeing over semantics, rather than intent..... GsxrBots is describing reverse discrimination with regard to programs like Affirmative Action, and he's not without a point, historically.

GNBRETT, however, correctly refers to the fact that discrimination is wrong regardless of which way the discrimination is flowing.

:agree:

So what would he do if you showed up like this next time?

5241015.jpg

White guy made up to look black (Robert Downey jr from Tropic Thunder)

In my line of work I deal with that crap frequently . I figure deflecting verbal abuse is just another part of my job . If I feel like being a smartass I usually respond with "That's mister Saltine to you tuffguy." Throws 'em off balance and usually gets a laugh .

See, ever since Obama won, they're getting all uppity...

This statement is horse **** Rainbow.

Dude racism come from all races. I know what you went through was messed up but if u begin to retaliate in that same manner with an innocence blk person u fall victim...

PB1

Because I’m white…….That pissed me off. My parents raised me to be color blind. My mother always told me we all bleed the same color and my dads favorite was…it’s all pink on the inside son. So..... I just moved to Houston a few weeks ago and it was time to get a haircut and I noticed that there were two places right next to my cousin’s house. The first was a salon and the second a Baber shop. Me being the cheap arse that I am I went to the barber shop because I wanted to save money. So I walk in and there are 4 barber chairs but only one guy working; he is cutting a kids hair and he had two more in front of me. I sit down and he say there are two in front of you, I just smile and no problem. A few minutes later two more walk in and he says now there are four. I just looked at him and he said they had an appointment. Now mind you I’m thinking to myself that is possible but I doubt it (just judging the look and the couple’s face that had just walked in).

So far it had been a total of 20 mins and he was still working on the same kid’s hair and I was getting all kinds of looks for the barber. I almost got up and walked out but I didn’t have anything else to do and I didn’t want to look rude. A few minutes’ later 2 ladies walked in with their boys and he said they had appointments too and that it was going to be another hour and a half. I got up and said “okay I get the hint, maybe next timeâ€. He said “there won’t be a next time cracker, ya feel me?†I just shook my head and walked out. The only comforting thing was the two ladies who had just walked in turned around and walked out calling him a racist. Karma will come back and bite him. I just walked 4 shops down to the salon and was in and out in less than 30 mins.

First of all as a black man I’d like to apologize for his actions and racist statement. This is not indicative of the black men that I know nor of black barbers that I personally know. Granted if he was not comfortable with cutting you hair he should have politely informed you.

One of my best friends (he’s black...read on) is a barber and he recently worked in a barbershop located in Odenton, MD near Ft. Meade, told me that some of the new black barbers in the shop were uncomfortable cutting a white persons hair not because they didn’t like white people but because they just didn’t know how and what they would do is refer them to him. So what he did was he started teaching his fellow co-workers how to style white hair. This ended up becoming a win/win situation for everyone due to education.

Thankfully and hopefully the two black ladies made up for his ignorance. Attitudes like this guys is why most people think black people are ignorant and stupid. I grew up in Ohio in the 70’s and 80’s and I did experience some racism but I never let that influence my opinion about white people, to me people are people and that’s it.

Lycan6,
I grew up in Glen Burnie and Dundalk and I caught so much flack out there for being white that I moved away as soon as I was 18. Once I moved to Arizona all that went away and I eventually let my guard down and started smiling at people when I saw them walking down the street and saying hello again. I moved to Texas and you are right, there is a lot of racists here. It is mostly the good ol boys that have been here there whole life’s that do it. I have hear the words ******, jew, spick, and fag more in the past three weeks than I have in the last 13 years of living in Arizona. When I walked out of that barber shop I just reminded myself that he is probably used to white boys treating him differently but all I could do was get pissed because it made me feel like I was a kid in Maryland all over again. I hated Maryland because I was tired of getting in fights every other day just for being white.

lil charlie I am confused about one thing you stated and that’s about Dundalk and Glen Burnie: I currently live near and work in Glen Burnie which is about 80% white and I never experience racism nor have I heard any of my white friends ever say that they’ve experienced any in Glen Burnie either. Which area did you live in?

I lived in Dundalk for 6 years which is about 85-90% white and I did experience minimal racism from primarily elderly people which I thought was just a sign of the times in which they grew up in. I must ask did you live in Turner Station in Dundalk? If so then I totally understand.

Back