Well, there goes my plan ...

NightCrawler

Love all. Trust a few. Do wrong to none.
Donating Member
Registered
CLICK ME!!!

Potential juror says he’s a racist and a liar
Cape Cod man's claims earn sharp rebuke from judge, may lead to charges

Updated: 8:01 a.m. ET July 10, 2007
BARNSTABLE, Mass. - A Cape Cod man who claimed he was homophobic, racist and a habitual liar to avoid jury duty earned an angry rebuke from a judge on Monday, who referred the case to prosecutors for possible charges.

“In 32 years of service in courtrooms, as a prosecutor, as a defense attorney and now as a judge, I have quite frankly never confronted such a brazen situation of an individual attempting to avoid juror service,†Barnstable Superior Court Judge Gary Nickerson told Daniel Ellis, according to a preliminary court transcript of the exchange.

Ellis, of Falmouth, had been called to court with about 60 other potential jurors for possible service on a 23-member grand jury.

On a questionnaire that all potential jurors fill out, Ellis wrote that he didn’t like homosexuals and blacks. He then echoed those sentiments in an interview with Nickerson.

“You say on your form that you’re not a fan of homosexuals,†Nickerson said.

“That I’m a racist,†Ellis interrupted.

“I’m frequently found to be a liar, too. I can’t really help it,†Ellis added.

“I’m sorry?†Nickerson said.

“I said I’m frequently found to be a liar,†Ellis replied.

“So, are you lying to me now?†Nickerson asked.

“Well, I don’t know. I might be,†was the response.

Ellis then admitted he really didn’t want to serve on a jury.

“I have the distinct impression that you’re intentionally trying to avoid jury service,†Nickerson said.

“That’s true,†Ellis answered.

Nickerson ordered Ellis taken into custody. He was released later Monday morning.

Ellis could face perjury and other charges.
===================================

violent1.gif

when i got called to jury duty, I actually wound up serving... sucked but thats another story

We had a guy pull something like that. Said he wouldnt be able to give a home owner a fair look after being a contractor for so long (it was home owner vs builder case). The judge kept asking questions, etc... this guy waivered a few times... the judge didnt arrest him but put him into the jury pool for a week solid was that or contempt of court, so the guy went to the jury room. After he left the court, he dismissed everyone but the jury and basically said that was the "one a$$hole that ruined it for you all" if anyone else tries that kinda of "stupid shid" I will put you in the jail across the street for the night.

Needless to say that jury was selected about an hour later
laugh.gif

If you've never served on one, its truely an experience that everyone should have. You will gain a new found look at how the justice system works and just how fuggin stupid people are that wind up in front of a judge
wow.gif
beerchug.gif

I wouldn't mind serving on a Jury but I can't afford to be off for for an extended period of time.

--Wag--

So, by telling the truth, he's being possibly charged.
This is BS! What if he really is all those things. I would admit the same if asked for an important roll such as a fair trial.
This decision by this "Judge" has to be personal based on the sanctity of Law/Truth.
Perhaps, they need to institute a "don't ask, don't tell" policy for Court rooms now....oh wait, can't do that, you won't get a fair trial.
This is most absurd. That Judge needs to be retired immediately.
People are who they are...if ya don't like it.....NEXT! How hard is that?
rant.gif

i was summoned for duty last year, federal jury about 150 miles away,wrote them a letter , got out of it since it was so far. i wouldnt mind if its close.

Back