So, how did my first track day go?

Sorry for your get off. Especially disappointing that it was caused by someone else.

The best you can do is to learn from this. Only you know what you saw. I can only guess that your eyes followed the downed riders, and the bike followed your eyes - which is called 'target fixation'. It is good when you are looking through the turn. It is bad when you are looking where you don't want to be.

Try visualizing and practicing this skill (which goes against your natural reflexes - like so many things in riding a motorcycle). Close your eyes, visualize how the two riders go down, but then immediately take your eyes off of them and focus your eyes on the path around those riders, and the bike will follow this path - that's the new reflex you need to practice until it becomes automatic. This skill will help you to go around any obstacle in the future - be it an object thrown on the road, a downed rider, a stopped car, etc.

Don't be discauraged by this incident.

Also, try taking it easy. Your skills improve best when you are relaxed, and don't try to take it to the limit - and you don't even notice how all of a sudden you do better across the board. Focus on a slow and gradual process as opposed to trying to advance quickly.

Very good post, I can read a lot of track experience in it.

I know what happened to a point, the rest I don't know but there is a guess which is probably accurate.

We were pushing the envelope and the two riders in front of me braked to late, they overshot the turn in point and made contact with each other, the front rider got hit by the rider behind him and they both went down. When their bikes were skidding on their sides right in front of me, I had just started my turn in, off the brakes and hanging off the side my knee down. The next thing I know is I went down like a sack of potatoes. I don't know this, but I tassume I hit the front brake as a pure subconscious reflex and that was the end of that. My bad, it comes down to experience, the kind of experience that makes you do the right thing instantaniously without thinking about it. If I kept my line of sight through the curve, stayed on my path, I would have probably missed them both and made my turn safely. The rider behind me probably made the same mistake as he went down also.

Hopefully this experience will learn me to stay off the front brake in an emergency until the bike is stood up and do it automatically without thinking. Also to know that if one is leaning over far on a critical line in a curve there is not much place to go, other than steering around obstacles as best as is possible.

On a good note, just came back from the Orthopedic doctor with a boot, no broken bones, level 3 torn tendons, I should be able to walk with my boot shortly, have to travel to Mexico for business in two weeks, all should be good.

Next question is who sells the best track plastics????:laugh:

Next question is who sells the best track plastics????:laugh:

There ya go. :beerchug: That first track day is really an introduction into the sport of < Road Racing > Just pure and simple it's another ball game vs street motorcycle riding.

There's nothing really to draw from a road race track in terms of applying it to street riding. The faster riders get , the more able they are to see the distinction's between the two .

Heal up and have some more fun :thumbsup:

Tuf, I typed "partially your fault" first, but then erased, and typed what I typed. More accurately would be "triggered" by someone else and "partially your fault" for not knowing the right thing to do, but I didn't want to sound like blaming it on him, but rather be constructive and point in the positive direction of learning from it. Otherwise, it creates vicious circle: you don't know what to do, but the only way to learn is study and practice, but then you ride without knowing what to do, so you can never ride because you are never 100% prepared for what to do. It was just a bad luck that he was confronted with pretty tuff circumstances on his first track day.

I totally disagree with your analogy. I deal with lots of students during the track season and I would never mislead a student as to the cause of his crash and I've witnessed lots of them. The only way to learn is to face your failures and the only way to correct them is to know what the mistake was and how to correct it.

Almost every single bike crash is due to the riders input aka mistake. I'd certainly be doing the paying customer a disservice if I told him the reason he fell was due to bad luck in order to make him feel all warm and fuzzy inside. We aren't dealing with preschool kids on the track.

It seems to be few and far between to find anyone who accepts responsibility for their getoff. We've had more than our fair share of getoffs in our group here this year and in most cases there is some sort of lame excuse involved.

There ya go. :beerchug: That first track day is really an introduction into the sport of < Road Racing > Just pure and simple it's another ball game vs street motorcycle riding.

There's nothing really to draw from a road race track in terms of applying it to street riding. The faster riders get , the more able they are to see the distinction's between the two .

Heal up and have some more fun :thumbsup:

With all due respect, the skills acquired on the track are DIRECTLY converted to that rider's street experiences. The list is a mile long....where you place you and your bike on the road surface (track or street), your reflexes and how you "dance" with the bike in a tight/critical situation, your ability to read your equipment in a maximum negative acceleration (deceleration) scenerio, what you do in a corner with traction loss......a book could be written listing the extreme correlations between street and track. One more thing....I'm dam fast (and I don't usually say that) and see major similarities interlaced across both environments.
Raydog

Jelly I bet as you were sliding on your stomach you were still thinking that was the best fun you ever had.

Least it wasn't the Busa and I'm glad your ok.

I'm so envious of y'all who do track days and def have that on my bucket list.

Jelly I bet as you were sliding on your stomach you were still thinking that was the best fun you ever had.

Least it wasn't the Busa and I'm glad your ok.

I'm so envious of y'all who do track days and def have that on my bucket list.

You got that right, I got the Gixxer for the track with expectations that it will go down at some point. If that was my pretty Busa, I sure would be crying. I'm not sure if anyone has ever ridden a Busa on Summit Point Shenandoah, it is as technical as you can get, not a fast track, very tricky.

With all due respect, the skills acquired on the track are DIRECTLY converted to that rider's street experiences. The list is a mile long....where you place you and your bike on the road surface (track or street), your reflexes and how you "dance" with the bike in a tight/critical situation, your ability to read your equipment in a maximum negative acceleration (deceleration) scenerio, what you do in a corner with traction loss......a book could be written listing the extreme correlations between street and track. One more thing....I'm dam fast (and I don't usually say that) and see major similarities interlaced across both environments.
Raydog

I'm still a novice, and I'm damm slow. Don't have your experience, but can share this.

I made my K7 600 gixxer like new, but hated the bike on the street. Once you get the RPM's high the power is more than enough, but it was like sitting on top of a weed wacker. On the track it is a totally different story though, it is sweet and goes like a rocket, handles perfectly.

Our main coach who ran the class was pretty good and his opinion was that the worst students he gets, are those who think they ride good on the street.

On the street, if you use only your front brake and there is an obstacle in the wrong place, or some gravel or slip on the pavement, trouble awaits.

On the track if one relies on rear brake, first you can't get to it due to body position and second you just don't do that on a track.

You can't walk miles of street, as you can walk a track, to determine and make markers of where your turn in points should be, where the apex point is and where the exit point is on each curve.

The perfect line for a Moto GP racer is about 8 inches wide around the entire track. You can't possibly do that on the street.

We had three groups, I was in novice, there was a red group and a blue group being expert. At the end of the day, the main coach being the class room instructor went out with the red group, riding 2up with his girf friend and posted better lap times than the best rider in blue for that session. It just made me realize that racing is a skill, like anything else and through all my years of street riding I have learnt almost nothing of that skill.

Nice write up.
Way too many bikes going down. It is totally possible to have a fun trackday without going down. Crashing sux, crashing hurts, crashing cost lost of $$ to an already expensive sport. Sure, you want to push yourself and improve but never at the cost of crashing.

Not sure what to think of coaches allowing students racing eachother at the 3rd session of a new rider class? It takes more than 40 minutes of tracktime for a new rider to learn breaking points, apex's and proper speeds for entry and exit. Number one rule of trackdays is that its not a race (maybe rule #2 or #3, there are a few good "rules") .

Glad your foot will recover soon.

Great assessment of what happened. Where you riding with TPM by any chance? That's who I ride with. They have white, red and blue groups, and the owner Glen often does 2-up rides.

Yes, lots of track experience, although I am one of the slowest riders. Because I am pretty conservative, and just want to have fun, although I get sucked in occasionally, but quickly reminded by a missed apex, or a close call. I did have a similar incident years ago when two riders collided in front of me. I saw them collide, but I didn't see them going down. That's because my eyes automatically looked through the escape route, and the bike followed.

The reason I could do it because I practiced this specific scenario (among many other possible scenarios on the track and on the street). It's called visualization, and there was even an article in Sport Rider a while back.

You simply imagine a scenario of your choice, and visualize it in slow motion - this way you "program" yourself to do the right things - like what your inputs are, where are you looking, etc. You simply go through the same scenario a number of times, and you achieve a good level of "programming" for a specific scenario. So, if you encounter such specific scenario in real life, not only do you know what to do in theory, you simply pull your pre-programmed reaction like a trick out of the hat, and all of a sudden you can execute a complex set of actions.

This is a very powerful tool, and once you experience the benefit, it will be an eye opening experience. Because, it will feel like the bike did all of this automatically, and you were simply an observer.

An enormous benefit of this approach is that you can practice scenarios which are impossible to practice in real life. Including the one you had a misfortune with. Once a certain scenario is "programmed", it gradually fades away. Therefore, you need to periodicallly go through them to maintain a good level of programming.

A few extreme examples. They all imply the use of the front brake only. Forget about the rear.

You are doing a good clip on the road while suddenly all traffic stopped. Correct actions: You quickly preload the front brake, but give it 0.5 - 1.0 sec for the weight to transfer, and then gradually but quickly apply max lever pressure. While you are slowing down you look in the mirror if anyone is going to rear end you, while at the same time downshifting, and looking for an escape route (between cars, etc), and while at the same time releasing the lever a little by little because if you don't you may lock the front. If you decided to sverve, you release the brake, and sverve with an aggressive input, and then reapply the brake lever again.

Another one: You are going through the turn on the street - at a good clip. You feel that the rear is stepping out. Correct action: no action. Ignore it, pretend it didn't happen. Let the bike figure it out - it is designed for that situation. Assuming you didn't completely abuse the throttle, the rear will gently regain traction - at least, this is your best shot under the circumstances. Anything else, like shutting the throttle, braking, straightening the bike, wiggling in the seat, tensing up in your hands and body - all will worsen your chances to various degrees.

Another one. You are in a turn, and as you look through the turn you see a stopped car taking your entire lane. Correct action: tighten the turn as quickly as you can, as you reach the inside straighten the bike fully or partially and execute emergency braking. As you are reaching the outside, stop the braking, and go in extreme lean again, and once you reach the inside of your lane, repeat the same. This is your best chance. If you end up hitting the car, brake to the last moment without panicking and locking the front - your best bet is for the bike to hit the car, and you flying over the car (and not hitting it). Stay relaxed and you won't break anything, while your gear and helmet do the job they were meant to do.

Another one. You are riding in the country and going through a turn at a good clip. As you look ahead you realize there is gravel in your entire lane. You have 3 sec max until you reach it. Correct action: tighten the turn, straighten the bike right before the gravel patch, go through the patch while you are ON THE GAS especially if you are at the partial lean, stay on the gas even if the rear is wiggling. As soon as you passed the gravel patch, lean the bike again because you are about to go wide. If you have a chance to brake and scrub the speed before you hit the patch, do it, but release the brakes and give it some gas when going over the patch.

The most extreme one. Could be in straight line or in a turn. There is a large object which you cannot avoid - a crashed motorcycle for example. There is not enough time to fully stop, i.e. you know you gonna hit it. Correct action: scrub as much speed as you can. If in turn, use technique above. In either case, make sure you are hitting the object while the bike is as much upright as possible. While you are still braking, try to downshift if your rpm was below the mid range. As you release the brake closing in on an object, pull the clutch in partially or fully and even open the throttle more (the idea is to rev the bike to almost red line), and as you are almost there - dump the clutch. The idea is to force the bike into a wheelie. The front is on its way up and hopefully goes over an object, or at the least hits the object while being very light. When the rear hits the object, it will give the bike the momentum which wants to rotate the bike around its CG, and throw the front back on the ground. This momentum will compensate for otherwise raising front. You have to stay on the gas even after the rear touched back because it's going to probably spin a bit and wiggle before it regains traction. Only then, you can gradually reduce the throttle.

As you can see, there is absolutely no way to figure out such scenarious when you actually encounter them.

I know it's a bit long, but I felt it was important.

I'm still a novice, and I'm damm slow. Don't have your experience, but can share this.

I made my K7 600 gixxer like new, but hated the bike on the street. Once you get the RPM's high the power is more than enough, but it was like sitting on top of a weed wacker. On the track it is a totally different story though, it is sweet and goes like a rocket, handles perfectly.

Our main coach who ran the class was pretty good and his opinion was that the worst students he gets, are those who think they ride good on the street.

On the street, if you use only your front brake and there is an obstacle in the wrong place, or some gravel or slip on the pavement, trouble awaits.

On the track if one relies on rear brake, first you can't get to it due to body position and second you just don't do that on a track.

You can't walk miles of street, as you can walk a track, to determine and make markers of where your turn in points should be, where the apex point is and where the exit point is on each curve.

The perfect line for a Moto GP racer is about 8 inches wide around the entire track. You can't possibly do that on the street.

We had three groups, I was in novice, there was a red group and a blue group being expert. At the end of the day, the main coach being the class room instructor went out with the red group, riding 2up with his girf friend and posted better lap times than the best rider in blue for that session. It just made me realize that racing is a skill, like anything else and through all my years of street riding I have learnt almost nothing of that skill.

:beerchug:
Very good post ALONG with good job of relaying what your coach said. Both of you are spot on. I'm happy you found where your Gixxer600 really wants to spend it's time at :thumbsup:

I wish you can have many more trips to and fun times at - the <Road Racing Track>

You are being very wise in your debriefing of it all. The two best values for this sport are humility and willingness to learn and it sure seems you have both.
One time I was feeling like the fastest man on earth.....about 145 on turn 8 at Willow big track, off the bike and focused on the tarmac ahead. Suddenly, on my outside, a rider went past me at maybe 155, off the side of the bike....he looked like a bird in flight. At that time I was reminded that, "one man's ceiling is another man's floor".
Later in the paddock I learned that he was a world class road racer and how humble he was about his abilities! I clung to everything he said, especially his demeanor.
I laughed about your "weed wacker" comment, so true, 600's really do change and come alive on the track.
Happy riding, don't ever give up that track! Doyle

that is a lot of crashes for a novice group....

glad you had a good time.

**we can talk about the skills you develope on the track, and how they translate to the street. I however one of the biggest things that track riding does to make you a better rider has more to do with your mental outlook.

the fun of driving like a maniac on the street, disappeared when I got to the track. there is nothing on the street that can compare to coming down the hill towards turn 8 at Willow....6th gear,throttle wide open as you lean the bike over, and can hear the tires howling and the engine screaming....and bikes just inches from you.

being the fastest guy up the hill or riding at 140mph on the freeway just seems rather pedestrian after the racetrack...

anyways that is just an opinion...

Sorry to hear that you went down Jelly, Hope you heal up quick and get back to the track again:thumbsup:

that is a lot of crashes for a novice group....

glad you had a good time.

**we can talk about the skills you develope on the track, and how they translate to the street. I however one of the biggest things that track riding does to make you a better rider has more to do with your mental outlook.

the fun of driving like a maniac on the street, disappeared when I got to the track. there is nothing on the street that can compare to coming down the hill towards turn 8 at Willow....6th gear,throttle wide open as you lean the bike over, and can hear the tires howling and the engine screaming....and bikes just inches from you.

being the fastest guy up the hill or riding at 140mph on the freeway just seems rather pedestrian after the racetrack...

anyways that is just an opinion...

I sure agree with that. Says it all!

Jelly, Jelly, jelly....

First Im lad it wasnt too horribly bad and that you had a great time.

But the second I wont forgive you for...:rulez:WTF are you doing at Summit and NOT tell any of us you were there? I could have taken 70 West towards Hagerstown, come through Charlestown WVA and been there at Summit in like an hour dude...

Come on maaaaaaaan???

what he said!!!!:poke:

what he said!!!!:poke:

I did not know they allow people from VA into WV. :laugh:

Next time will let ya know.

Think some of you are heading to NC this weekend. If you run out of stuff to do, ride to Pinehurst and we will cook ya some grub. Looks like there might be time in your schedule Saturday.

Jelly, congrats on doing your first trackday!!

But, you missed the most important thing you are supposed to learn on your first trackday..

DON'T CRASH!!

also known as, don't bite off more than you can chew. It takes a few of these trackdays to start seeing what causes crashes, and learn from other peoples' mistakes. It's not worth looking like Rossi the first day, if you leave with you and/or your bike shredded.

I am now in my 2nd full year of trackriding. While I am still learning everytime I get out there, I am twice the rider that I was before I started. And I have the pics to prove it. Twobrothersbusa is now uncatchable and Tiller isn't far off of it....

Jelly, yup, those torn ligaments are not alot of fun. Will take longer to be back to normal than you think.
My comments are this: I have only done 3-4 track days now. I have never seen anyone crash in any group. At Infinenon in Northern Calif. track officials and school riding coaches ride herd pretty strongly. They don't allow anyone to pass within 6 feet of one another. They don't allow any passing at all for novice group before noon. I feel that riders were permitted to ride way beyond their abilities and crashes ensued. I have seen riders pulled off of the track and sat down for a session for doing things that were reckless. One of the things that is really worisome in a crash is leaked fluids...whether it is tranny, crankcase, or radiator fluids. This is very very dangerous for other riders who, generally speaking, have to go through the same areas that the crashes occured in. That is why well supervised race tracks have a vested interest in keeping things under control. I feel sorry for you that you took a hard knock that day. You know it was your own fault..you were riding above your skill level. We have all done it and learned...as Tuf will tell you it is all about smoothness and lines. Guys trying to race one another around a technical course at novice level should never have been permitted...just my opinion...

Back