So, how did my first track day go?

jellyrug

Donating Member
Registered
First track day was at the Shenandoah circuit at Summit Point West Virginia.

Not sure if anyone done this circuit before, very technical, not for the faint of harted.

Riding my little 600 Gixxer, still stock but all taped up, so this is how it went down.

1.) Class room training, first session is all about the perfect line around the track and placement of cones, green for turn-in - orange for apex and another orange for exit of the corner. Then the coaches tell us first few laps will be boring, as they are taking us out to show us the cones and the track.

2.) First 20 minutes session around the track, learn the track come back, my chicken strips are gone.

3.) Back to class room training, more about the perfect line, where to turn in, how best to get to the apex.

4.) Second 20 minutes track sesson about 6 of us behind a coach, learning the perfect line. This time tire starts showing some shredding whole surface.

5.) Back to class room training, more about the perfect line, some about braking and some about body positioning. This time the coaches tell us they lead first lap, then they follow us to give us feeback.

6.) Third 20 minutes track session, coaches follow us the young riders start racing each other, two go down.

7.) Back to class room training, main coach tells us we did it all wrong, it is not how fast we can go on the track, it is about getting the line right and where we look. Explained that the second rider went down because he looked at the crashed rider and went there. Tells us to slow down, focuss on the line and focuss on where we look through the turns. Tells us we have to do this over.

8.) Forth 20 minutes track sesson, coaches follow us, no incidents. After this session the chicken strips on my front tire are gone also, severe shredding all over tires. Cheap tires. Michelin PP2.

9.) Back to class room training, given feedback on how each of us ride. I am told my corner entry is too fast and I overshoot the turn in point, then I loose the line. Also, on the sharp U curves I need to slow down and get much closer to the inside of the turn. We have a training session on body positioning and braking, with demonstration.

10.) Fifth track session, I decide to hang out at the back and first try out this hanging of the bike thing in the turns. Have to get used to this, as it is not natural and not comfortable but I notice the very slow corners are easier to go around and keep my line. Some dude on a Ducati holds me up every time on the main straight, my little 600 is in perfect tuning and goes like a rocket, so next lap I go past him on the straight, run out of 3rd gear, into fourth somewhere North of 130 mph, I hit the brakes, get to the green turn in cone, hang off the side and do a perfect turn nudge the curb on the apex and nudge the curb on the exit, caught up with the young bunch again. This time three riders go down.

11.) Back to class room training and more about body positioning, with coach feedback for each rider. We again get a big speech about going too fast and this is about having fun, not crashing. I ask a lot of questions about using front brake only, told this is what most do. We are told that the training is pretty much done and the rest of the day is about riding with the coaches and getting feedback.

12.) The rest of the day was a blast and every session I got faster and better. The last round I thought I had such a good day, the folks here are so nice and it was so much fun, perhaps I should sit this one out. But no, when they call our group off we go. I am getting tired and it is hot as hell.

13.) Last round I really mix it up with the faster riders, If I get passed it is just before turn in, or just after exit on a turn. No one passes me on the straight, into 4th gear every time. 2nd last lap, I am done braking, hang of the side and as I start the turn in, two riders go down in front of me. I have no idea what happened, all I know is the next monent I was sliding on my back, did a flip and was now sliding on my stomack, hands spread out, looking at two bikes trying not to hit me. Ended up in the grass, the rider behind me went down as well, so four of us went down. There was a coach with me immediately, making sure I am OK. Everything felt OK, my left foot was hurting.

14.) Finally, later that night I wen't to the emergency room for X-rays, looks like nothing is broken, but have to go see a orthopedic doctor today. Can't walk on my foot. My Dainese left boot is destroyed, Shoei helmet looks bad and the Gixxer has cosmetic damage, something a set of track plastics will fix.

It sure was fun, but I have to think about this to see when I go back.:laugh::whistle::laugh:

Glad you got checked out!!! The gear did its job and you were able to go home with your sweetie. Heal up quickly and give Heidi a hug. :thumbsup:

Dang it, I am glad you are ok and bike can be fixed. Sometimes it is hard to recognize when you are tired. I know I have sat out the last couple of sessions because of fatigue. Again, I am glad you are ok bro.

Great write up on a wonderful experience at the track right up to the very end. Sorry about the get off. Maybe you have your getoffs out of the way for a while now. So get back out there as soon as possible and enjoy your summer on two wheels. :thumbsup:

Tell me this, what was THE MOST important thing you learned from your first track/school day?

wow dude- glad it wasn't anything major- all in all it sounds like a great experience- if theres nothing big wrong that is...

and thanks for the step-by-step... didn't know what to expect at one of those- really interested now, guess i need to find a track bike so i can go have fun too!:thumbsup:

Great write up on a wonderful experience at the track right up to the very end. Sorry about the get off. Maybe you have your getoffs out of the way for a while now. So get back out there as soon as possible and enjoy your summer on two wheels. :thumbsup:

Tell me this, what was THE MOST important thing you learned from your first track/school day?

The most important thing was that track riding and street riding are two very different things. It is about learning the perfect line going around the track, where to turn in, where to hit the apex of the curve and exactly where to exit. A rider with a perfect line going slow and safe, will have much better lap times than a rider going fast and missing his line. Also, if a rider is going too fast and the rider misses the line, it is all over.

Sounds like fun. Sorry about the get off.

I need to do one of these one day, but I have the extra bike set up for straight line. Wifey would choke me if I got another one:whistle:

Glad you had a good time, Sorry about you going down and the Bike damage is easy to Fix. Heal up and get ready to sign up for another track day soon.

Jelly, Jelly, jelly....

First Im lad it wasnt too horribly bad and that you had a great time.

But the second I wont forgive you for...:rulez:WTF are you doing at Summit and NOT tell any of us you were there? I could have taken 70 West towards Hagerstown, come through Charlestown WVA and been there at Summit in like an hour dude...

Come on maaaaaaaan???

Godspeed on your recovery! Thanks a million for the write-up.:thumbsup: I see a trac-day in the near future!

The most important thing was that track riding and street riding are two very different things. It is about learning the perfect line going around the track, where to turn in, where to hit the apex of the curve and exactly where to exit. A rider with a perfect line going slow and safe, will have much better lap times than a rider going fast and missing his line. Also, if a rider is going too fast and the rider misses the line, it is all over.

Actually track and street are very similar. Lines on the street are just as important (Maybe more so) as lines on the track. Mess either one up at speed and bad things are likely to happen. The track is just a street that has no center line and everyone is going the same direction with no stationary obsticles to hit in case of a getoff. No blue lights, no old ladies turning in front of you, no farm animals, dogs, deer or camels. The track is a wonderful place to practice your street riding skills!

What you learn on the track is also useable on the street. The more track time you get the safer you'll become on the streets!

sorry to hear about your going down but it sounds like you had a great time otherwise...like i told your wife, now you have the excuse to do all the mods you were wanting to do anyway :thumbsup: pray the visit with the orthopedic doc goes well :please:

Sorry for your get off. Especially disappointing that it was caused by someone else.

The best you can do is to learn from this. Only you know what you saw. I can only guess that your eyes followed the downed riders, and the bike followed your eyes - which is called 'target fixation'. It is good when you are looking through the turn. It is bad when you are looking where you don't want to be.

Try visualizing and practicing this skill (which goes against your natural reflexes - like so many things in riding a motorcycle). Close your eyes, visualize how the two riders go down, but then immediately take your eyes off of them and focus your eyes on the path around those riders, and the bike will follow this path - that's the new reflex you need to practice until it becomes automatic. This skill will help you to go around any obstacle in the future - be it an object thrown on the road, a downed rider, a stopped car, etc.

Don't be discauraged by this incident.

Also, try taking it easy. Your skills improve best when you are relaxed, and don't try to take it to the limit - and you don't even notice how all of a sudden you do better across the board. Focus on a slow and gradual process as opposed to trying to advance quickly.

Sorry for your get off. Especially disappointing that it was caused by someone else.

That's really an inaccurate statement. It's never ever EVER the responsibility of the rider in front of you to keep you upright. No matter what the situation street or track.

It's 100% the Jelly's responsibility to maintain a safe separation with any and all bikes in front of him. I have no idea what caused the getoff. Could have been a number of issues or a combination there of, but Jelly's getoff was in no way caused by someone else.

Wow, seems like quite a few people having get offs. Maybe something on the pavement? I've been pretty fortunate with mine so far, the bike and I have been able to make it back out the next session both times. I've also been lucky enough to save the bike durring a couple of "off-road adventures".

End of the day fatigue sucks, I haven' had to sit sessions out yet but I've definetly cut a few sessions short because I'm just wore out and can't do what I need to do to get the bike where I want it. Last year I took up mountain biking to keep my self in bike shape between track days.

Glad your get off wasn't serious, hope the ortho visit goes well.

Gary

Tuf, I typed "partially your fault" first, but then erased, and typed what I typed. More accurately would be "triggered" by someone else and "partially your fault" for not knowing the right thing to do, but I didn't want to sound like blaming it on him, but rather be constructive and point in the positive direction of learning from it. Otherwise, it creates vicious circle: you don't know what to do, but the only way to learn is study and practice, but then you ride without knowing what to do, so you can never ride because you are never 100% prepared for what to do. It was just a bad luck that he was confronted with pretty tuff circumstances on his first track day.

Brutal honesty is not always the best approach - I can say it now since you brought it out in the open. We all make mistakes and allow for lapses in judgement which sometimes backfire, and in retrospect a constructive approach is better than an objective one.

At his level of riding, there was nothing he could do at the time. And I agree that the rider behind is always responsible for staying upright. But sometimes it's not black and white. And a rider in front can do something - like braking unexpectedly, or changing the line unexpectedly, or crashing in such a way that their bike is right on your line being a few feet ahead - that is exteremely challenging to avoid, especially on a first track day.

And actually my biggest fear on the track is someone else taking me out. I've seen this scenario happened with my own eyes, seen close calls of that nature, and I hear about it once in a while regularly.

To the original poster - Jelly, a big part of what happened was bad luck, and don't let this set you back because if you let fear in, it will poison your riding and your life. Just think it through, learn from it what you can which will ultimately empower you, take it down a notch maybe, and get back to it if you truly love aggressive riding and riding in general. :beerchug:

Street riding and track riding are quite different experiences. Track riding is a lot more aggressive, and sometimes in close proximity to other riders. Over time, it gets easier to "read" other riders, and stay away from those who are less predictable, or be able to anticipate a potential issue ahead of time.

What is important, that you are seemingly OK, and hopefully your foot is OK. You will fix the bike, and a year from now, this entire experience will seem like a distant past. And it is very likely that this could be your last get off, and you have many years of enjoyable riding ahead of you and without any incidents.

glad you are not hurt too bad, hope it is just a bad bump. If you hurt a tendon, you could be in a boot for 3 months. I think I will skip the last session of track time when I go. I may not be too tired but I can't dodge everyone

don't let this set you back because if you let fear in, it will poison your riding and your life. Just think it through, learn from it what you can which will ultimately empower you, take it down a notch maybe, and get back to it if you truly love aggressive riding and riding in general. :beerchug:

:beerchug: well put

Back