Smogged, detuned 08's?

(Turbo-Torch @ Feb. 25 2007,09:35)
(kairles @ Feb. 25 2007,00:22) Turbo-Torch- re read my post I said mid 80sfor a reason the mid 70s was when CA first started getting crazy with the whole emissions thing. as for todays cars 98% of them are all the same CA and federal. else you wound not be able to bring cars into CA, because they would be missing emissions hardware.

Its not just CA any more finally the EPA is taking the lead with the tier II standards. people think CA is strict, but its actually illegal to modify emissions equipment in every state just CA is the only state that really enforces it.
That's great however I also mentioned a 2007 Jeep engine that's not available in your state.  You also didn't explain why you can't register a new out of state vehicle in CA unless it has over 7500 miles on it.

Why does a 2006 Camry produce 9 less HP for CA models?
Why does a CA model Tundra have 3 cats (instead of 2) and produce 5 less HP?  Sounds like missing emissions hardware to me...could that be why you can't bring a "new" one in from out of state unless it's considered used with over 7500 miles on it?

Also explain to me why the Hayabusa has a different emissions system on it just for CA or how you can pick up just about any shop manual/parts list for a newer vehicle and they have separate emissions parts for CA models only.

Sorry but you guys have been getting short changed then and now.  Something tells me it won't be long before you need to take your lawn mowers in for emissions testing.
All of the above pertain to tier II standards that some CA regions must pass emissions testing for, urban areas mostly. ALL 50 states will have this level of certification in 2010. The "7500 mile" rule has been covered already.
California is the proving ground for anything new the Feds want to test before unleashing on the rest of the country.

So your saying you can buy non CA models in most parts of CA? The CA models are restricted to just "some" regions and not the whole state?
The fact that 49 state vehicles tend to have different emissions equipment holds more water when it comes to the 7500 mile deal. The dealer lobby may use it to their advantage but the tree huggers are the cause. Bad part is that it does spread across the country...sorta like AIDS. For some reason there's never any resistance in CA. These laws need to be crushed early on like the one trying to retrict the use of classic cars from a few years back.
I also can't see how manufacturers would support any of it. Do you think they like the fact that they can't offer a certain engine in CA or have to modify a whole line of cars for just one state? That's go to cost them mega bucks and must be killing the bean counters who cringe over pennies spent on a plastic radio knob.

The busas have had cats on them since the beginning,look in the mid-pipes.

(nitrousjunkie @ Feb. 25 2007,12:flamethrowing:) The busas have had cats on them since the beginning,look in the mid-pipes.
+1

part of the reason the stock exhaust is so freakin heavy! that and the exhaust cans!

I had an 02 F4i that i bought in California... it had a O2 sensor in the mid pipe right after the cat... when i bought the Yoshi slip on for it it replaced the mid pipe and the Yosh mid pipe didnt have a place for the O2 sensor. I had to buy a jumper plug to remove the O2 sensor or my Fi light would have stayed on all the time.

Just wait until they start 'tail' piping bikes for smog compliance before you can re-register them.

big-brother.jpg

Back