I will never buy a HJC product again.

DetroitBusa

Registered
Just thought I would share my experience with you. I purchased a HJC IS-16 scratch about one year ago. Well, as I was taking the inside padding out to wash them, two plastic threaded rings fell out. The have to came from behind the foam that is glued into the top. Now granted, I know that the helmet can/will still save my life, but do I really want to own a helmet that parts are falling out of?

Here are the emails back and forth with their customer service:

Me:
Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2011 8:40 AM
Subject: Is-16 question
Hello,
Last year I purchased an IS-16 scratch model helmet, and upon taking the
cheek pads out, I had two small threaded rings fall out. Looking around in
the inside of the helmet, I was unable to locate where then came from. I
was hoping you could shed some light on where they may go. I have attached
a photo of the rings in question.
Thanks a lot

Them:
(carbon copied to me?)
Sent: Wed, 08 Jun 2011 18:19:09 -0400 (EDT)
Hi Sam:
Can you forward this to R&D and see what this part is from below email. I
am not familiar with this part and I want to make sure if the customer
should be concerned and will need to bring this back to the dealer.
Thanks!!
Fritzie Cota
Customer Service
HJC America, Inc.
16918 Edwards Rd

Me:
Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 7:22 AM
Subject: Re: Fw: Is-16 question
Hello,
I was wondering if there was any sort of news on my issue with my is-16
helmet. Thanks a lot!
Cerritos, CA 90703

Them:
Sent: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 12:43:21 -0400 (EDT)
I haven't heard anything on my end.
Fritzie Cota
Customer Service
HJC America, Inc.
16918 Edwards Rd
Cerritos, CA 90703

Me:
Sent: Monday, June 20, 2011 6:48 AM
Hello,
Is there anyway you can have a supervisor contact me on this issue? With
something as important as parts falling out of a helmet, I have been weary
to use it, in turn ending my riding for the last 10 days.
Thanks

Them:
They haven't gotten back to me and I have looked into other sample models
and haven't seen that part. A small item like that will not affect the
integrity of the helmet. If you feel like the helmet is defective or want
it inspected, policy proceedure is bring this matter up with the dealer
where the helmet was bought from, so that their rep can inspect the matter
closer.

My supervisor has left on business trip to Europe and won't be back for
another 2 weeks. I had also emailed this to our R&D dpt in Korea who is
familar to the internal parts of the helmet since the helmets are produced
over there.

Fritzie Cota
Customer Service
HJC America, Inc.
16918 Edwards Rd
Cerritos, CA 90703

My dealer said to contact the company, so what do you folks think?

Not sure if you still have the factory packaging/literature which stipulates:
* how long is the factory warranty?
* and what does it cover/exclude?

As quoted from my owners manual:

"This warranty is applicable to manufactures defects only and is good up to three years from the date of original purchase. "

Honestly I think his customer service is okay. He is responding, being polite, offering help. Although I think the individual from HJC is a bit weak on his knowledge for his job and the company product. He as an employee needs to know the ins and outs of each and every helmet. After all, that is the reason why he works for them. I know every job I have held, including my job in the military, I know my job very well, and if you dont know what your doing, then you need to find a different job. But I wouldnt give this guy thumbs down, he has alot to learn, but is dealing with you the correct way.

As far as HJC Helmets are concerned. I have owned three HJC Helmets and I was pleased with them. Look into the crash ratings of the helmet. As far as the parts falling out, this would def throw a red flag with me. I would go to the dealer that you bought this from, and see about getting it inspected, fixed, or replaced. If your dealer cant help you, and is saying contact the company, then I would do so. HJC Helmets are not expensive, so if you can afford it, buy another one. Or inviest in a Shoei.

I think that they are communicating with you but I would be leary about wearing a helmet that stuff is falling out of

How much help did you expect from a customer service rep named "Fritze"?

Sorry to hear about your helmet woes.

Hang in there, they sound like they will help & you are handling your end well.

I had a defective part come from Muzzy's that cost me an engine & they did absolutely nothing. They have the Worst customer service & warranty I have ever heard of. +I would have been happy as hell if I recieved that response from Muzzy's.

Yeah, I am somewhat happy about actually getting a reply back, but I am tired of getting the run around. Oh well, I guess I'll have to see where I get.

Did you ask them to see if they have that free inspection thing like Shoie??? Maybe you can just mail it to them.

From the HJC site......one year warranty and the dealer is responsible for looking in to the issue.....

HJC hereby extends a limited warranty to the purchaser of HJC helmets that the helmet is free of defects in materials and workmanship.

Coverage
This warranty is applicable for manufacturer’s defects only and is good for one year from the date of purchasing. It does not apply to any problems arising out of wearer’s misuse, negligence, modifications, accident, etc.

Disclaimer
Any warranty of merchantability and any implied warranty are hereby expressly disclaimed. In addition, HJC shall not be liable for any consequential damages.

Procedure
In order to receive warranty, please take your helmet, along with your receipt of purchase showing the date of purchase, with a brief memo describing the problem, your name, and phone number to an authorized HJC dealer near you.

Questions
If you have any questions with respect to our warranty, please email us at info@hjchelmets.com.

Sorry to hear your woes, I have 2 and had excellent results with them. Return it as it would appear that it is still under warranty.

Honestly I think his customer service is okay. He is responding, being polite, offering help. Although I think the individual from HJC is a bit weak on his knowledge for his job and the company product. He as an employee needs to know the ins and outs of each and every helmet. After all, that is the reason why he works for them. I know every job I have held, including my job in the military, I know my job very well, and if you dont know what your doing, then you need to find a different job. But I wouldnt give this guy thumbs down, he has alot to learn, but is dealing with you the correct way.

As far as HJC Helmets are concerned. I have owned three HJC Helmets and I was pleased with them. Look into the crash ratings of the helmet. As far as the parts falling out, this would def throw a red flag with me. I would go to the dealer that you bought this from, and see about getting it inspected, fixed, or replaced. If your dealer cant help you, and is saying contact the company, then I would do so. HJC Helmets are not expensive, so if you can afford it, buy another one. Or inviest in a Shoei.
Ditto. By both the quickness of response to your inquiry and the general tone, I rank this a pretty good. Play your end well and you might score a new helmet. HJC offers extremely good value, IMO, with innovative designs, high quality materials, and excellent safety ratings. While your experience inclines one toward caution, it's not enough for me to trash any of my HJC helmets.

That does suck, and I hope it gets better. But I stick by the saying, im too poor to buy cheap. 2 ok hjc helmets = one reputable brand solid color helmet.

well this sucks...I've never had any issues with 2 of my HJC helmets. Hope they resolve your issue to your satisfaction.

Is it one of the plastic pieces on the cheek pad that pushes into the helmet?

I would find another dealer.....sounds like it is on them.

post up a pic:rulez:

Back