Smogged, detuned 08's?

NICE N EASY

Registered
Just spoke to a sales rep at the local Suzuki dealer in Santa Rosa, CA. Asked him about the 08 Busa, the only thing he tell's me is that it will be detuned, smogged, or have a catalytic converter for ALL bikes sold in Calif. Has anybody heard about this? Supposedly more stringent pollution standards than the 07 European ones.
wow.gif

Pretty much any vehicle sold in Kalifornia has been "modified/detuned" since the 70's. Current CA Busas are a little different than the 49 other states. Many optional car engines that are available in all other states are banned from CA.

The tree huggin EPA nazi rules out there are insane.

(greyrocket @ Feb. 24 2007,16:57) yep dam Liberals because of them i only have 5gal tank instead of 5.5
rant.gif
That gives you an advantage.
laugh.gif

Cause you will always be carrying a little less weight.
zzwhip.gif

(TIMMYDUCK @ Feb. 24 2007,17:04)
(greyrocket @ Feb. 24 2007,16:57) yep dam Liberals because of them i only have 5gal tank instead of 5.5
rant.gif
That gives you an advantage.
laugh.gif

Cause you will always be carrying a little less weight.
zzwhip.gif
Yeah but the twinkie state model weighs a few pounds more right off the assebly line.
jump9.gif

California 2008.....All 50 states 2010. The GSXR K7 is twin cat in all states this year. The ECU is fully programable and will have a Cali only map starting next year. Ditto for the Ducati 1098 which is 50 state right out of the box.
Now....lets talk about the fuel reformulations they have planned. Nah....its too depressing.
crazy.gif

Isn't the only difference in most bikes is CA models have an EVAP system ? I know some bikes already have cats, my moms 06 ZX6R has a cat.

never heard of otional engines NOT available in CA, I know when it comes to late model cars(mid '80s-up) federal emissions are the same as CA emissions. Just CA has a bi-annually emissions(smog) test and most others don't.

My '07 750 has a cat, if there's a new busa, it'll probably have one also.

Cat's have been around for Decades. The 07 GSXR1000 is supposed to make somewhere in the neighborhood of 190hp at the crank and it is fully emission legal. Embrace the horror!

(kairles @ Feb. 24 2007,19:00) Isn't the only difference in most bikes is CA models have an EVAP system ? I know some bikes already have cats, my moms 06 ZX6R has a cat.

never heard of otional engines NOT available in CA, I know when it comes to late model cars(mid '80s-up) federal emissions are the same as CA emissions. Just CA has a bi-annually emissions(smog) test and most others don't.
If CA emissions are the same then explain all the extra emissions crap on your cars/bikes, the additional weight and less HP. Better yet explain to me why you can't bring a newer vehicle with under 7500 miles into your state?

As far as certain engines go...let's start off in 1975 with the 262 V8 used in the Chevy Monza available in 49 states. That engine option wasn't available in CA so GM used the readily available 350 V8 in that state only. Sounds good until you find out it put out less HP than the smaller 262 and about the same HP as the V6 available in all other states.

Now on to the present. Do you want a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 4.7 liter flex fuel V8? Well you're tsol because you can't have it in CA.

(Turbo-Torch @ Feb. 25 2007,00:29)
(kairles @ Feb. 24 2007,19:00) Isn't the only difference in most bikes is CA models have an EVAP system ? I know some bikes already have cats, my moms 06 ZX6R has a cat.

If CA emissions are the same then explain all the extra emissions crap on your cars/bikes, the additional weight and less HP.  Better yet explain to me why you can't bring a newer vehicle with under 7500 miles into your state?

As far as certain engines go...let's start off in 1975 with the 262 V8 used in the Chevy Monza available in 49 states.  That engine option wasn't available in CA so GM used the readily available 350 V8 in that state only.  Sounds good until you find out it put out less HP than the smaller 262 and about the same HP as the V6 available in all other states.

Now on to the present.  Do you want a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 4.7 liter flex fuel V8?  Well you're tsol because you can't have it in CA.
Hey I had a 1980 Monza 2+2 H'back with a stage 3 race 3.8 v6, really fun car, not too bad for my first ride!

The real issue isn't the cat by itself....its the fact that smog testing for motorcycles, and practically everything else, is just around the corner. Consequently our ability to modify exhaust systems in future vehicles is in doubt as they are a component of the emissions control system.

Better yet explain to me why you can't bring a newer vehicle with under 7500 miles into your state?[/Quote]
Simply put it is collusion on the part of a powerful dealer lobby, that benefits from squashing out of state purchases of new vehicles, and the state congress that writes the laws. IMHO of course
wink.gif

(05BusaLe @ Feb. 24 2007,21:40)
(Turbo-Torch @ Feb. 25 2007,00
super.gif
)

If CA emissions are the same then explain all the extra emissions crap on your cars/bikes, the additional weight and less HP.  Better yet explain to me why you can't bring a newer vehicle with under 7500 miles into your state?

As far as certain engines go...let's start off in 1975 with the 262 V8 used in the Chevy Monza available in 49 states.  That engine option wasn't available in CA so GM used the readily available 350 V8 in that state only.  Sounds good until you find out it put out less HP than the smaller 262 and about the same HP as the V6 available in all other states.

Now on to the present.  Do you want a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 4.7 liter flex fuel V8?  Well you're tsol because you can't have it in CA.
Hey I had a 1980 Monza 2+2 H'back with a stage 3 race 3.8 v6, really fun car, not too bad for my first ride!
I had a '77 turkey back with the factory 5.0. The ulitmate sleeper and I wish I still had it. Every so often I start searching for another one. In '89 I test drove a Mirage with 50K miles. Old guy wanted $1500 and like an idiot I passed on it because it didn't have a/c.

And just so this isn't a total OT hijack.

EMISSIONS SUCK!
smile.gif

Turbo-Torch- re read my post I said mid 80sfor a reason the mid 70s was when CA first started getting crazy with the whole emissions thing. as for todays cars 98% of them are all the same CA and federal. else you wound not be able to bring cars into CA, because they would be missing emissions hardware.

Its not just CA any more finally the EPA is taking the lead with the tier II standards. people think CA is strict, but its actually illegal to modify emissions equipment in every state just CA is the only state that really enforces it.

(kairles @ Feb. 25 2007,00:22) Turbo-Torch- re read my post I said mid 80sfor a reason the mid 70s was when CA first started getting crazy with the whole emissions thing. as for todays cars 98% of them are all the same CA and federal. else you wound not be able to bring cars into CA, because they would be missing emissions hardware.

Its not just CA any more finally the EPA is taking the lead with the tier II standards. people think CA is strict, but its actually illegal to modify emissions equipment in every state just CA is the only state that really enforces it.
That's great however I also mentioned a 2007 Jeep engine that's not available in your state. You also didn't explain why you can't register a new out of state vehicle in CA unless it has over 7500 miles on it.

Why does a 2006 Camry produce 9 less HP for CA models?
Why does a CA model Tundra have 3 cats (instead of 2) and produce 5 less HP? Sounds like missing emissions hardware to me...could that be why you can't bring a "new" one in from out of state unless it's considered used with over 7500 miles on it?

Also explain to me why the Hayabusa has a different emissions system on it just for CA or how you can pick up just about any shop manual/parts list for a newer vehicle and they have separate emissions parts for CA models only.

Sorry but you guys have been getting short changed then and now. Something tells me it won't be long before you need to take your lawn mowers in for emissions testing.

Back