Small air box mod

My .o2 is i thought removing just the flapper valve was considered a small box mod. And drilling and dremling the filter boss with flapper valve removed was a large air box mod. Either way. Huge air gains require rempping ecu which is easily done via boostbysmith interface equipment, or the old fashion way of using powercommander equipment (not recomended). Dragracing loves these mods. Street guys think it through flapper designed for part throttle performce, asian engineers i beleive a little smarter than drill bits and dremels. They managed to build fastest production motorcycle made, with air box intact for many years running.:bowdown: I DRAGRACE AND I HAVE DONE THESE MODS. JUST WOULD PROBABLY LEAVE WELL ENOUGH ALONE IF RIDING ON THE STREET EVERYDAY.

Last edited:
Over the weekend, I went through my bike and was looking at every little thing and making it right if it wasn't. I noticed that the air box mod had NOT been done on mine so I did it via the instructions given on the first page. I love the feel of it so far and will be going to get her tuned soon after I put my GP can on. But I have one question for you guys.........Did ya'll notice an increase in MPGs? I go 55 miles one way to work and usually got 34-35 MPG but this morning I got a constant 45.8 with a peak of 47.1! Is mine just weird or was I driving like Granma Moses too much. I was doing about 75-80 the whole way.???

Last edited:
Everytime you perform certain modifications that allow the engine to run more efficiently ie; exhaust and intake mods, don't be surprised to see MPG to go up. Using less throttle to move a vehicle will result in better gas mileage. Big bore bikes get good mileage from the factory because of the available low end torque advantage compared to high rpm litre bikes or smaller sizes. Lower gearing can help too until certain speeds are reached but typically for most of us, gas mileage will suffer.

With a Brock/Hindle exhaust, airbox mods, BMC filter and other small mods, the best I ever got was 51MPG. After adding cams and gearing it went down to 36-38mpg.

Note: Some of the available pump gas around here did show some significant differences in the MPG area. Bad fuel and MPG could go as low as 30MPG.

wow..i wonder if the more dense air down here in LA (lower Alabama) helps with my mpg? i hear rumor of a guy from CO on a gsxr1k came off the army base here, which is where i work, and nailed it and looped it cuz he didnt realize the diff in power. funny, but sucks for him too. anywho, i get 47/48mpg regularly on my 45min hwy commute..if i horse around, 45, 46mpg and thats stock except for K&N..GI w/TRE unistalled right now. considerin block off mod and small airbox mod. figurin i should see a good diff down here in more dense air.:thumbsup:

wow..i wonder if the more dense air down here in LA (lower Alabama) helps with my mpg? i hear rumor of a guy from CO on a gsxr1k came off the army base here, which is where i work, and nailed it and looped it cuz he didnt realize the diff in power. funny, but sucks for him too. anywho, i get 47/48mpg regularly on my 45min hwy commute..if i horse around, 45, 46mpg and thats stock except for K&N..GI w/TRE unistalled right now. considerin block off mod and small airbox mod. figurin i should see a good diff down here in more dense air.:thumbsup:

Ah, yea. Big difference in altitude. I live at 5300' as well.....let's just say...we are slow here... :laugh:

Last edited:
Just did this mod this morning. A friend of mine on here had an airbox already cut, so I just swapped him. Can definitely tell the difference in throttle response and it feels like more torque. Raining here so I cant really get on it, though. Soon as the sun comes out, going to check it out.

Oh, and what is the big hole on the bottom front of the airbox for. There isnt a hose that goes on it, so we just assumed it was a drain. Does it need to be open? Seems like you would loose some air/pressure/etc through it.

just did this mod.got the hindle full sys., cut 5" off the can,custom map,pc3,k&n filter...good throttle response, I notice it the most in the mid range 4500-6500,but I just cut the air horn out,took the flapper out,sealed the vacuum thing...blah,blah,blah..smog gone-hahaha..check out vid. zipperators hayabusa

Nice... I did it last night, took me 20 min. thanks to GIXERTP for such easy instructions to follow....:beerchug:.. I cut a small piece from the flapper to cover the hole... Really nice when a mod goes smooth....:cheerleader:

I'm new here, and i love this site already!!!! i think ill also would do this mod soon!! tnx for the good pictures!!!! :thumbsup:

Think like this... Here is a powerful engine that needs to be tied down. So, the idea is to run that power in a linear fashion. That means you glide up the the torque curve.

With the air mod, think, "A Faster Event" has occurred. No HP change, just a speed bump getting there sooner.

Now, think about this... If we have a lock-step movement of the crank speed and throttle position calling the shots of the air speed, do you really need a piggy to add more fuel that the crank and TPS have already computed? That's like saying you need a piggy because you revved the bike up to red-line sitting in your driveway if it were all stock. That is some super fast speed we are talking... Not riding speed in a slower mode up the rpm.

So, no, you do not need a PC/piggy type unit to help you think revving the engine with or without the a/c mod will cause damage. The cylinder fills the same amount at idle as it does at peak HP.

Think about it. :rulez: :laugh:

Has anyone damaged their bike because of this air mod? I'm going to bet, no way-hose say. Now, prove me wrong.

:welcome: dutchboy wooden shoes is. :beerchug:

The cylinder fills the same amount at idle as it does at peak HP.

Not even close. Read up on volumetric efficiency.

If you don't think the airbox mod requires a remap, try removing it completely and report back with findings. :D

Quick question the vaccumm line that was attached the the valve were does the other end lead to was I thinking I could cap it off at source like you do with the pair mod???

Last edited:
Back