another air box mod ???

big ed

Donating Member
Registered
Sorry about this but here we go.I did the air box mod last year when my busa had 2000 miles,yosh rs-3 full system,k/n filter,pc3(map from dynojet),tre & was unimpressed by the loss of torque so I replaced the air box with a stocker.Now I have bmc filter,same exhaust,gi pro tre,factory pro stacks,16/44 sprockets,lowered 1front/1.5rear,4+swingarm,schnitz air box seal tube kit,& my pc3(org.member sent me a map for air box mod & same exhaust from his busa).my question is does anyone think that I will benefit from a air box mod this time?I dont want to cut up this box for the same result.thanks in advance for your HELPFUL coments & advice.

if ou're looking to retain/no loss in the torque curve then don't bother. If you don't mind and are looking to pick up a few hp then you might consider it.

I have a modified airbox that I would be willing to sell to you for what I paid and you can try them side by side to see if there is a difference. I never even took it out of the box after I received it from a member here.
60.00 to your door, let me know.

As with almost every other performance mod, you have to give to get. The airbox mod nabs a little down low but gives a bit up top.

I noticed a decrease in my torque up to 3000rpm, after that its not a problem. Its not an issue for me because I seldomly ride below 3000rpm.  
winkold.gif

Quick question to the group: how are you all testing the results of the airbox mod? Do you have a 140mph fan that's blowing air into the ram air ducts? or are you data logging on the track? If the bike is sitting in a static mod on the dyno with just cooling fans you will NEVER see the full benefit of this mod.

Quick question to the group:  how are you all testing the results of the airbox mod?  Do you have a 140mph fan that's blowing air into the ram air ducts? or are you data logging on the track?  If the bike is sitting in a static mod on the dyno with just cooling fans you will NEVER see the full benefit of this mod.
+1

Quick question to the group:  how are you all testing the results of the airbox mod?  Do you have a 140mph fan that's blowing air into the ram air ducts? or are you data logging on the track?  If the bike is sitting in a static mod on the dyno with just cooling fans you will NEVER see the full benefit of this mod.
You may never see the FULL benefit of this mod sitting on a dyno, but you WILL see "some" improvement.
I have road tested back to back boxes. 1 stock and 1 small box.
Here is MY experience.
I did 2 base line tests with a Garmin GPS.
The bike only had Yosh RS-3 race bolt ons.
2-1 mile runs.
One from 75mph shifting thru the gears. At the 1 mile mark I was at 182mph.
The second was a 1 mile roll in top gear from 110 mph. At the mile mark it was 183mph.
I rode straight home, did the small box mod and plugged in the PCII with the stock map.
an hour and a half later I did the 2 runs again.
One from 75mph shifting thru the gears. At the 1 mile mark I was at 187mph.
The second was a 1 mile roll in top gear from 110 mph. At the mile mark it was 188mph.
It revved quicker and you could hear the box mod.
You COULD feel the difference also!
It made exactly 5mph difference on BOTH tests, so that's enough to convince ME that it works.

This is just MY experience. 8)

back in 99-00 and maybe even 01 there were tests done at the tracks. If an old rail road man says don't touch the third rail I would listen even though you may not be given the reason why.

Im just lookin for results from different members that have actually tried it good or bad.I tried it & sucked the bike felt soggy.My question is was it limp becuase it was stock with a small air box mod or was it the air box mod itself?now that I"ve done more to the bike will it benefit?Im also gonna shine some light on my motive to these questions is I have a buddy with a 00 zx12 that I want to make cry.we grudge race each other all the time & if we race from a light he is toast but from a roll its who ever has the jump.due to my 10 year experience in drag racing an 8 second car HE WILL NOT TREE ME but he is 50 lbs.lighter(no I will not diet a turbo is cheaper)now on that note opinions please....thanks

for me a reem of the airbox...like FULL mod. yea that sounds crazy. i still use filter to catch any weird little pebbles that may fly in..but has NEVER happened. A friend of mine who is my engine builder also races and has 20+ yrs. experience in buiding race engines, always does a LARGE box mod. on engines that are looking for peak performance.

granted though they are usually 1720 strokers and up. but mine is 1397 and still did it to mine
beerchug.gif

I agree with ya SleeperBusa, I can feel the diference also on a highway and a quarter run and if you can feel the difference on the road the change is pretty significant. My point to my question was actually rhetorical because everyone should know the airbox mod is a ram air mod and needs that extra air on the track to be fully affective I was just trying to stop the, "I heard this or someone told me that" based what they saw on the dyno after the mod. You'll see a little on the dyno but if your tuned well and all the flat spots are gone you'll really see it or should i say feel it on the road.

back in 99-00 and maybe even 01 there were tests done at the tracks. If an old rail road man says don't touch the third rail I would listen even though you may not be given the reason why.
I would say the old man is living in the past and let technology pass him by.
laugh.gif
Technology will always improve over time, its human nature.

for me a reem of the airbox...like FULL mod. yea that sounds crazy. i still use filter to catch any weird little pebbles that may fly in..but has NEVER happened. A friend of mine who is my engine builder also races and has 20+ yrs. experience in buiding race engines, always does a LARGE box mod. on engines that are looking for peak performance.

granted though they are usually 1720 strokers and up. but mine is 1397 and still did it to mine
beerchug.gif
I will agree that a big bore will benefit from a full air box mod but mine is stock(for now).3 doors down from me is a suzuki ama superbike team shop & when I was able to talk to there lead tech he said stroker motors demand the full mod but standard bore might have an issue with throttle response & torque loss.at that time I just bought & it had about 300 miles on the odometer since then Ive done some changes & was curious if it will benefit now.I havent been able to speak with him again they are either on the road or in the shop behind closed doors.they are pretty secretive & I dont want to wear out my welcome.it looks like for now Im gonna try it again & hope I wont have to go look on fleabay for another stock box.I thank those of you that have responed to my question but I have to admit that Im disapointed that I didnt have more of a response on this topic ive seen more responses to non busa topics on this site.again thank you for your time for those of you who responded.

My point to my question was actually rhetorical because everyone should know the airbox mod is a ram air mod and needs that extra air on the track to be fully affective I was just trying to stop the, "I heard this or someone told me that" based what they saw on the dyno after the mod.  
The airbox mod is not a ram air mod . It takes somewhere around 190mph to develop just 7 psi in the Busa airbox . If your a drag racer thats a 7 second bike and 7 second bikes don't use airboxes . Aprox 145mph just to get some actual measurable positive pressure per quantified testing of old.

However , Helmholtz effect and induction wave tuning theory comes into play and changing the volume of the airbox will certainly alter the tuning resonances from short of the end of the exhaust to and past the exhaust valve . If you were to do nothing else to the engine , increasing the volume of the airbox would only change the rpm maximum TQ is made .

The 3-5 HP gains people see on the dyno when changing stacks with the small box mod are coming from something"s" your overlooking in regards to another V-stack topic along with the variables of the " somethings".

And maybe MY 5mph gain on back to back testing could have been that a stock Busa comes running rich from the factory(especially in Texas heat and humidity), and it leaned the engine enough to show a gain??
Who knows?

Leave it alone. If you race take a stock filter and cut everything off of it except the top, Use that for dragracing only.
bowdown.gif

Back