Sleeved Tattoos... Negative today?

Sleeved Tattoos... Negative Today?

• Total voters
My perspective: I would not hire anyone with a sleeve tattoo, especially if it was yet another white guy with crappy "tribal" patterns down his arm. - It isn't unique, it isn't special, it isn't meaningful and you are not a Pacific Islander.

Further perspective on tattoos:

TattooLocations-1.jpg

Unfortunate but true. In my positions as manager/director it would be an issue, if not for me than by someone up the org chart.

I didn't read all 6 pages but I will tell you this. In the company that I work for, as well as a lot of others I would suspect. You limit your employment opportunities because of the stigma that is attached to having sleeves. At my company, we have locations is 8 states, you can not have tattoos showing anywhere. JHMO

Don

My perspective: I would not hire anyone with a sleeve tattoo, especially if it was yet another white guy with crappy "tribal" patterns down his arm. - It isn't unique, it isn't special, it isn't meaningful and you are not a Pacific Islander.

Further perspective on tattoos:

TattooLocations-1.jpg

I have a half sleeve that goes to my elbow and I currently hold a very respectable job. In 3 years I have never once been critisized or lectured by any management for my tattoos and i am 100% positive they see them at least once a day. Tattoos are more respected now then they ever were and I feel as long as its tastefull I see no reason to not hire someone for expressing themselves with an artform older then anyone alive today!!!

That being said... I repeat myself by saying TASTEFULL. If you have a racest or obscene tattoo somewhere that is seen on a daily basis, then you deserve to be critisized cause most likely thats what you wanted in the first place when you got the tattoo.

i say go for it but I like tat's I have quite a few of them. just wear long sleeves and pants to interviews and show em how professional you are. after hiring you they can't fire you because of tattoos... if you do get a sleeve or two:whistle: post up some pics man:thumbsup:

I think the point is that it makes it really tough.. You cover them to interviews? why?

I do work for a medical office with about 25 staff... The Dr says no tattoos.. PERIOD... why? well part of it is the perception of the people that get them.. accurate or inaccurate, it exists.. He does not want that in his office.. I have only on rare occasions seen tattoos on working white collar professionals and they were all "military" in nature that I recall.

I dont think there is anything wrong with the things myself but that has nothing to do with public perception.. As times change, so will the views of them... Heck "tramp stamps" are as common as herpes is now days.. :laugh:

the poll posted above says over 75% think they reflect some level of negative stigma.. (and this is from bike riders)

I think most of the people I ride with have ink... I think they "like" that bit of negative stigma...

that Doc is asking for a lawsuit. you can't deny employment because of tattoos. that's discrimination just like saying because you wear glasses you can't work here. makes no sense.

@ the company I work for u can have tattoos but they must be covered. Each associate signs an acknowledgment and acceptance form for the associates' handbook that addresses all of the responsibilities of each associate.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

We r a customer service oriented company and the public perception (right or wrong) is what it is. We have been successfully in business for almost 30 years.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

the company i work at used to not allow visible tattoos...20 years ago...now that is the last thing they look at. there are many men, and women at my work with sleeves, chest, shoulders, neck(all are visible when a woman wears spring/summer type tops). and nothing is said. i myself have a half sleeve, and see nothing negative at all with tattoos, as long as they are not trashy looking.

that Doc is asking for a lawsuit. you can't deny employment because of tattoos. that's discrimination just like saying because you wear glasses you can't work here. makes no sense.

Where is that written? I have not seen that one.

Where is that written? I have not seen that one.

It's illegal to discriminate against appearance period. But, that normally means they'll just find another way to fire you if they want.

I am personally working down my arm right now. The generation that believes tattoo's are only for scumbags is on it's way out man, do what ya do man. The worst that can really happen is they say cover them up at your job.

When you croak and clock out on the timeclock of life, your tattoos will be the only thing you take with you

Some jobs require you to wear longsleaves or have it in the job description to not have tats showing.

If I find out that a buisness has a strict no tattoo policy, i won't take my business there. I'll tell everyone I possibly can not to do business with them either. I wouldn't want to work with or for those kind of people anyway.

I guess its all gonna depend what kind of work your in and what you plan on doing in the future. In the welding/fabrication business i've never heard of a issue, my shop and the others i have worked at have no problems, my current company i deal with customers from time to time, i dont have anything disrespectful so hence why it probably isnt a problem. When i hire people i hire them for they're skills and how they'll fit in with my crews, not what they're tattoos say!

Now outside of the work place i'm sure some people see them as a negative, i've had compliments on my bike chain from old ladies to guys in suits and ties with they're kids.
I hired a guy awhile back that has tons of stuff visible, lets say he had a very interesting past, we became real good friends and it amazes me some of the things people say thinking they're out of ear shot, he's got devil man across his forehead, IV IV IV on the back of his neck and some pretty evil stuff on top of his head, he's a great guy, takes care of his family and like me doesnt care what other people think. Said he has never once regretted any of em because they all tell a story from his past:thumbsup:

i say go for it but I like tat's I have quite a few of them. just wear long sleeves and pants to interviews and show em how professional you are. after hiring you they can't fire you because of tattoos... if you do get a sleeve or two:whistle: post up some pics man:thumbsup:

actually they can, if its against company policy, some time last year there was a story on the news, some girl got fired from her job as a server at a red robbins or red lobster or some simmilar middle class dining establish ment because she got a tattoo on her wrist, it was a medic alert tattoo and she took them to court over it... cant remember the turn out, but yaa, if you hide it in the interview, youll always have to have them covered personally, im all for tattoos, have large chest and back pieces, and a small one on my leg, with many more planned, lucky inogh to have a job now that it doesnt matter, i say go for it, no better way to express yourself that with ink and brands

Man this is an old thread but hey - Here's my two cents: One word - TASTEFULL - it doesnt matter what you get, or where you get it (minus neck and head, cause if theres any stigma that still follows its with those areas) as long as its tasteful then chances are it will be accepted. Being a tattoo artist myself (on the side ;) ) I've had plenty of opportunities to tattoo a lot of guys and I always make sure to steer clear of the racist and offending ones. Tattoo'ing is a form of art along with everything else and good work is always admired and appreciated.

Allen Tattooing.jpg

Me Tattooing.jpg

Tattooing'.jpg

So there's ~75% negative look on tatts.

I'd like to see the same people do a poll and see how many have tatts themselves. It'd be interesting to see if the same 1/4th split applies.

There seems to be the common thought that tats are ok if they are tasteful. Problem is, everyone has a different definition of 'tasteful'...

One item on this thread though is that it talks about sleeves. That is much different than say, tattooing a little nyan cat on your ankle.

By the time I had the 15th Tattoo finished (All large pieces of work) I kind of, would walk around in a t-shirt with virtually nothing visible.
So I liked my tattoos but felt phoney because I'd had so much work done and no one realised the extent of the work and where extremely surprised at the amount of Art work (Back Chest, Upper Arms, Shoulders)

So I decided to get my forearms done, (just at the rear) Right Forearm a Black Dragon from Elbow to Wrist, Left Forearm a series of Skull's in various Designs and sizes again from my Elbow to my Wrist.

Any how have I any regret, no, however, whilst at work I wear long sleeve shirts, I work in a large office environment and prefer it this way.
When I'm out of work in my environment they are great and am considering more.

So dependant on your circumstances go with whatever you are comfortable with.

Best regards Stretch :beerchug:

Back