Sleeved Tattoos... Negative today?

Sleeved Tattoos... Negative Today?

• Total voters
wow you are not only wrong but ignorant too, ive been in the med field for over 11 yrs with tats and piercings and get nothing but nice comments about them, theres tats that will offend ppl and others they will ooo and aww about, i wear long sleeve to interviews but always show the boss what i have and ask what the rule is..its always been as long as no one complains its cool, if i was in sales im sure long sleeves would be manditory...but to your comment that tat ppl wont ever get professional jobs or careers is way off base sir it is 2009 now come join us
I think the point is that it makes it really tough.. You cover them to interviews? why?

I do work for a medical office with about 25 staff... The Dr says no tattoos.. PERIOD... why? well part of it is the perception of the people that get them.. accurate or inaccurate, it exists.. He does not want that in his office.. I have only on rare occasions seen tattoos on working white collar professionals and they were all "military" in nature that I recall.

I dont think there is anything wrong with the things myself but that has nothing to do with public perception.. As times change, so will the views of them... Heck "tramp stamps" are as common as herpes is now days.. :laugh:

the poll posted above says over 75% think they reflect some level of negative stigma.. (and this is from bike riders)

I think most of the people I ride with have ink... I think they "like" that bit of negative stigma...

Last edited:
I think the point is that it makes it really tough.. You cover them to interviews? why?

I do work for a medical office with about 25 staff... The Dr says no tattoos.. PERIOD... why? well part of it is the perception of the people that get them.. accurate or inaccurate, it exists.. He does not want that in his office.. I have only on rare occasions seen tattoos on working white collar professionals and they were all "military" in nature that I recall.

I dont think there is anything wrong with the things myself but that has nothing to do with public perception.. As times change, so will the views of them... Heck "tramp stamps" are as common as herpes is now days.. :laugh:

the poll posted above says over 75% think they reflect some level of negative stigma.. (and this is from bike riders)

I think most of the people I ride with have ink... I think they "like" that bit of negative stigma...

My point is that it hasnt made it tough what so ever for me..why do i cover them up...well full sleeve shirts are more professional and i choose to to force ppl into seeing my choices but if its ok by the boss for a short sleeve i will wear them from time to time for comfort in the hot months. i do wish ppl would wake up and realize that body art dosnt mean we are scum.. so yeah i get a lil heated when this subject comes up..lol

My point is that it hasnt made it tough what so ever for me..why do i cover them up...well full sleeve shirts are more professional and i choose to to force ppl into seeing my choices but if its ok by the boss for a short sleeve i will wear them from time to time for comfort in the hot months. i do wish ppl would wake up and realize that body art dosnt mean we are scum.. so yeah i get a lil heated when this subject comes up..lol

I got the idea that the poll was not about what people on this board think about tattoos but whether or not they perceive that the general public will consider them unprofessional.

Busablu, I agree with you that the tatts shouldn't be considered so problematic but the general public doesn't see it that way yet.

Bummer. I see some pretty nice artwork out there from time to time.

--Wag--

I tattooed from mid. '80's until '95(shop in Mesa,AZ from '91 to '95)and had to give it up because of carpel tunnel(sp?),now i work as a diver so no flak concerning my job.

Just got this one from Jack Rudy in Anaheim back in April(Busa kanji,and broken bones to signify my 2 hard crashes).

IMG_0080.jpg

alot of potential employers view them negatively. Thats why my tats start several inches above my wrists. Easy to hide with a long sleeve shirt.:whistle:

people tend to surround themselves with people that think like them....there is comfort in numbers and most people with ink, have friends with ink.

so in your "world" its accepted and even incouraged....but when you look outside your world, your circle of friends you see other opinions on the matter.

I voted no negative.
I get a new tattoo every year and started getting them lower than my short sleeve shirt would cover, about four years ago. Slowly working on a left arm sleeve.

Where I live, work, travel and play it seems everyone that know or run into has at least one tattoo nowadays.

My perspective: I would not hire anyone with a sleeve tattoo, especially if it was yet another white guy with crappy "tribal" patterns down his arm. - It isn't unique, it isn't special, it isn't meaningful and you are not a Pacific Islander.

Further perspective on tattoos:

TattooLocations-1.jpg

My perspective: I would not hire anyone with a sleeve tattoo, especially if it was yet another white guy with crappy "tribal" patterns down his arm. - It isn't unique, it isn't special, it isn't meaningful and you are not a Pacific Islander.

Further perspective on tattoos:

TattooLocations-1.jpg

In my 36 years in the job market.. I'd have to say, this is 100% correct.

Imho the sleeved tattoo is socially acceptable nowadays than it was 15 years ago. However it is not the same for workplace environment or profession. Sleeved tattoos are considered "job-stopper" in most companies throughout the nation, still to this date.

As for the ladies, I think they're sexy when they have few inks but not with sleeved tattoos. Less is more, ya know? :laugh:

mfox.jpg

think about where you want to be in ten years and if in all your scenarios you see yourself with sleeves. Get them, dont worry so much about what people think. if your the type of person that wants sleeves and a job judges you for having them then thats prob not the job you want anyway.

Last edited:
Back