Skyline Dr. in Va.

Supergank1

Registered
Has anyone made the 105 mile ride through Skyline Dr in the Shenandoah National Park in VA? What was it like? looks crazy on a map? We`re thinking of hitting it up this spring..

Yes I did it a couple of years ago. Great, Great road. View is fantastic. Just a word to the wise. Watch your speed, the speed limit is checked the whole skyline drive, just ask my friend on his R1.Let me know, my new 08 needs a good ride from pennsylvania.
ohsnap1.gif

havent taken the bike up there but made many trips in cars... the tip about not speeding is a good one, they will write you and its a federal ticket since its in the national park. If I'm around I might be up for this one too
cool.gif

It's an awsome drive ! I drove it this past summer with my kids. The only problem is the speed limit the whole way is 35mph. I can't wait to get down there on the Busa
firedevil.gif

Thanks for the info sounds like a fun ride to me, a friend of mine said the speed limit was 45mph
rock.gif
and went down in some places, either way looks like a cool ride. have to be careful, don`t need anymore tickets !! we were thinking May sometime and starting from the north entrance(front royal,va) and heading south...but thats always subject to change
beerchug.gif

I've ridden it, GMBusa, Yamahor, and I belive DaMurf have all been up there.

Its absolutely beautiful. But get EXTREMELY cold when you ride down it at night.

Hit the parkway south where Rt64 crests Afton mountain. That's where the parkway changes from Skyline Drive to the Blueridge parkway. It's free from there on and the speed limit raises to 45mph. Better yet, forget the parkway and hit the local backroads around there. Much better riding IMO.

I agree with GMbusa. This area is our playground... Well, mine now that he moved. lol The Skyline Drive, while a beautiful ride, is VERY boring after a little bit. The Parkway is better, but the ranger presence is still there, and not good if you're speeding at all. Federal Rangers = NOT something you want a ticket from, or you want to run from. Granted, same goes for police. Now, if you want some fun roads around here to hit some turns on and have some fun, let me and Paul (GMbusa) know... The parkway is only about 10 miles from my front door. I know alot of roads here, but there's still some I've yet to discover.

I've ridden it, GMBusa, Yamahor, and I belive DaMurf have all been up there.

Its absolutely beautiful. But get EXTREMELY cold when you ride down it at night.
Why... It's like you've ridden over that mountain on a chilly night after Paul and I did mods to your bike or something...
laugh.gif

It's a nice, tranquil ride with great scenery. Lots of places to stop for pictures, etc. Speed limit is 35 and there's a toll but once you pay, I believe it's good for a week. I've heard the speed limit is so low because they didn't want to spoil the view with yellow caution signs all over the place. I went from Front Royal to the meadow at the approx midway point of the drive - watch out for deer. Skyline Drive begins in the northernmost section of the Shenandoah Nat'l Park in the Appalachian Mountains and turns into the Blue Ridge Parkway. We were there on a very hot day in July but once you get into the mountains, the temp can drop 15 degrees easily. It's neat to do but since I've been there and done that, I'd take other roads my next trip thru. It's not a "turn & burn" type of ride but if you get the chance, do it...

My husband and I rode from our home in MD to Harrisonburg Va, this past year to enjoyed that part of the Skyline drive. It is our plan to ride all of it or at least the part we didn't hit this coming spring or summer. Just a wonderful ride.
super.gif
We talk about it often and are really looking forward too our next trip on it. The following picture is from our first trip on the Drive.

img_0452.jpg

I live afew miles from it. If you go during the week there is very little traffic. The speed limit and cops are the only downfall.

I live about an hour and 20 minutes from there, Ventured out there a few weeks ago and got stopped by rain and visibility in Ruckersville(about 20 minutes away from Skyline Drive), I figured the experience would be a lot better with good visibility. Google Earth gives a good view of the area. There is an informative website:

http://www.nps.gov/shen/index.htm

Work permitting I'm game for a ride there anytime!

Never on a bike, but I have driven up in a car...it is a beautiful road
beerchug.gif

I may make the trip with georgia_busa05 this year.

I agree with GMbusa. This area is our playground... Well, mine now that he moved. lol The Skyline Drive, while a beautiful ride, is VERY boring after a little bit. The Parkway is better, but the ranger presence is still there, and not good if you're speeding at all. Federal Rangers = NOT something you want a ticket from, or you want to run from. Granted, same goes for police. Now, if you want some fun roads around here to hit some turns on and have some fun, let me and Paul (GMbusa) know... The parkway is only about 10 miles from my front door. I know alot of roads here, but there's still some I've yet to discover.
what are some of the other cool roads to check out around there? i like to hit rt.218 coming out of fredericksburg but don`t know many other roads out there. i think i will do the skyline thing and maybe dip out after 50 miles or so ?? or if i get bored...i`ll be at the bike show saturday but don`t know what time, i`ll look for the 7 foot guy..
hello.gif

what are some of the other cool roads to check out around there? i like to hit rt.218 coming out of fredericksburg but don`t know many other roads out there. i think i will do the skyline thing and maybe dip out after 50 miles or so ?? or if i get bored...i`ll be at the bike show saturday but don`t know what time, i`ll look for the 7 foot guy..
hello.gif
Well, in the Elkton/Harrisonburg area there's Rt 33, in the Luray area there's 211... There's quite a few cool roads here... I don't know of many north of Luray, but I do know Rt.33 basicly parallels the drive down to I-64. 340 aint too bad of a ride north of Elkton, but south is just straight, boring road... Look in the DC Bike Show thread, it has my cell number. Call me whenever you get there and Paul and I can give you some fun roads. I gotta leave the show about 2:30 though... Got a 2.5 hr drive to get back home for work.

Back