Shoulder check!!!

bazooki

Registered
For the second time in the past two weeks I have had to take evasive action to avoid being run off the road by idiots who don't bother to shoulder check when changing lanes. Both times I have been in my car. The first time was by a Saturn Vue that was changing lanes and traffic was moving at around 90 kph. They just swerved left without even looking and I had to do the same movement into the open lane to my left in order to avoid the collision. When I was in front of them I did the head tap letting them know I thought they should use their freakin head and a few seconds later the guy in the passenger seat sticks his arm out the window and gives me the finger!!! Well, very few things in life piss me off more than somebody giving ME the finger after THEY almost run into ME! I have never understood this reaction but it seems to be happening more and more often nowadays. So I slow down and wait for this loser to catch up to me and then I rolled down the window and let the passenger know what I thought of their gesture. He drops a few f-bombs and asks me if I want to GO? I say sure and start following their car into a neighbourhood. At this point they are driving real slow and probably realize that I am tailing them and that they aren't sure what to do next. Well they won't stop and are just driving in circles waiting for me to go away so I head home with smoke coming out my ears. No confrontation but I was pissed for an hour afterwards at least.

Today I am driving on the divided highway, four lanes in my direction, I am in the left lane doing about 120 kph and a lady in a minivan (insert stereotype here) doing around 100 kph just starts turning in to me, no shoulder check, apparently no mirror check, just changes lanes without paying any attention whatsoever. So I jump on the horn and use the run-off area on the inside beside dividers as a buffer so she doesn't hit the side of my car. She gets the head tap too but this time the driver looks very sheepish as she knows she messed up.....plus it's Mothers Day so what am I gonna do?

Two instances, two near accidents, both caused by dangerous lane changes from people who are either too lazy to shoulder check or just crappy drivers who don't give a damn. Periodically I take a count of how many drivers actually do shoulder check and the results are scary. Is this a lost art? I am not a perfect driver/rider as I do speed on occasion and sometimes in the car I am a little aggressive (although I don't tailgate) but one thing I ALWAYS do is shoulder check when changing lanes. Maybe this is because I am a long time motorcyclist or maybe it is just a habit I have been focused on since I got my licence at 16. Whatever the reason I always do it and I am gonna make sure my kids always do it too when they gets their drivers/riders licence as well. It's one thing to do a dangerous lane change and swap paint or worse with a car but with so many bikes on the road the consequences of this mistake are often deadly and that is not acceptable.:2cents:

People that drive anything these days act like driving is their right and they can do it however they want with no regards for anyone around them! Most of them are just plain idiots! Good to see you didn't get in a wreck because of someones carelessness.

Drive and ride like everybody is out to get you.

Exactly, that's just what I have been telling my kids who are approaching licencing age....assume that everyone on the road is going to do the stupidest thing you can imagine and prepare for it by planning a way out!

Is exactly why you will never see me riding "along side" any one or anything.. I am either in front of, or behind any other vehicle.. they can not run over what is not in the way to start with.. In the cases I am forced along side? I am always at or just in front of the driver where they can not miss me.. (literally)

Glad you caught the moves before they caught you.. hate people that drive like they are the only ones on the road..

You're not going to like this, and trust me, I need to follow my own advice, but following someone into a slow moving area is bad news. If they had a gun, what then? Seriously, you're better off just driving on and forgetting about it. I know second hand about several incidents like you described, except they ended in guns being pulled.

I watch them in the mirror as I approach. If they are checking in it, chances are high that they are about to move over.

You're not going to like this, and trust me, I need to follow my own advice, but following someone into a slow moving area is bad news. If they had a gun, what then? Seriously, you're better off just driving on and forgetting about it. I know second hand about several incidents like you described, except they ended in guns being pulled.

You are absolutely right. Looking back, what I did was not the brightest plan of the day but I had had a bad day at work and it was the wrong time for someone to f*** with me so I wasn't thinking ahead too far at the time. This is Canada so I wasn't too worried about a gun in the vehicle (more likely a hockey stick!) but there were 3 people in the car so my plan still lacked a bit in what exactly I was going to do if they did stop.

In relation to riding alongside vehicles, I agree as well. In these cases though I was in my car and I was overtaking both vehicles on the left as I should be doing. On my bike I never sit in blind spots or anywhere behind the drivers side window for any extended period of time.

Forget shoulder checks when changing lanes, how about forgetting to look out their windshields? A year ago in March I was sitting at a red light in my car (which was just paid off the month prior) at a very busy intersection. I look up in my rear view and see a white farm truck barreling down on me and my family. I have nowhere to go, there are four lanes of cross-traffic in front of me. I yell at my family to hold on as the truck hits me going around 45 mph. He admits he never saw me and never hit the brakes. It knocked our car right out into the intersection where, thankfully, the cross-traffic was paying more attention than he and didn't start t-boning us. Newly paid-off car totaled.

Fast forward a year to last week. Sitting waiting to make a left-handed turn waiting for oncoming traffic to clear, this time in a Suburban which I just paid off last month (notice a trend?). I look up in the rearview and unbelievably see yet another white farm truck speeding up behind me. This time I managed to get on the gas and at least get the Suburban moving before this guy rear-ends us at about 50 mph without ever hitting his brakes. Still knocks our full-size Suburban into the oncoming lane. I swerve onto the first right handed street and stumble out of the truck in time to see the guy who hit me speeding away with his hood folded back into his windshield. Unfortunately for him, a neighbor of his happened to be standing there painting a house, saw the collision, and told the cops who he was. His identity was also verified by his license plate which a motorist who chased him down came back and reported to the police on scene.

If people can't even see full-size cars and SUVs directly in front of them, that tells you what kind of chance we have on motorcycles. Gotta admit I've been a little goosey riding the Busa the past few days in town.

Last edited:
What pisses me off more than people who don't look are the people that actually do look and pull out/ cut you off anyway. Happened to me at least 3 times today while I was riding. Then there are the ones that tailgate me on my bike, even though the vehicles in front of me are the ones going slow. Annoys the hell out of me. Some people just have no clue.

Last edited:
What pisses me off more than people who don't look are the people that actually do look and pull out/ cut you off anyway. Happened to me at least 3 times today while I was riding. Then there are the ones that tailgate me on my bike, even though the vehicles in front of me are the ones going slow. Annoys the hell out of me. Some people just have no clue.

I witnessed one of those last week on the way to work in morning rush hour. I was driving along a parkway with a woman driving in front of me in a Chrysler Intrepid. In front of her is a guy on a BMW adventure bike. Traffic is heavy but we are still doing about 80 kph which is reasonable. She is tailgating this poor guy, riding about 4 ft off his rear tire at 80 kph! If he had to stop suddenly she would be rearended him and either seriously hurt or killed him. I thought about running up the right hand lane and giving her a piece of my mind but then realized that I would probably distract her and increase the chances of causing an accident so I just sat back there and shook my head and watched and hoped for the best. Nothing happened but the ingredients were all there.

I'm going on a 10 day tour to So Cal in June and, although I used to fly around in heavy traffic in LA for years (as an "invincible" motorcycling kid and as a cop), I'm really focused and concerned since the last 12 years of my life have been in relatively rural Nevada and Colorado.
I really think the average persons driving ability these days is significantly lower than 10-20 years ago....add electronic divices and Starbucks cups to the mix...and motorcyclists become the target! Raydog

If I could kill every person that drove like a moron in my town I would be known as "Jack the Ripper out of the car-er and beat the ****-er out of people..er."

Back