Had a close call on sunday!

Charlesbusa

Used to be a SoCal Busa
Donating Member
Registered
Sunday,
I riding back from Laguna Seca.  I'm on CA46 and in the distance a car is passing a semi.  I notice the car is taking too long and getting close so I start waving my left hand all around so there's no doubt the car can see me.  No attempt to clear my lane, I brake down to 20mph and move all the way over in the shoulder to the very edge of the pavement.  The car is still coming centered in my lane with the semi right next to it.  I'm thinking this isn't right at all, so I'm ready to turn into the dirt if the car tries to hit me...  They go by, the car is still centered in my lane next to the semi!!  
mad.gif
I was really starting to wonder if the car would try and hit me, it was all very wrong...  The 2 cars behind the semi both slowed to a stop and pulled over into their shoulder of the road.  One of them said he got the guy's license plate and is going to call it in as soon as he gets reception, I gave my number to give to the police if they want to talk to me.  No call.

Then yesterday I'm splitting on the 405 in heavy traffic.  Cars going 20, I'm going 25.  When a Mustang suddenly changes lanes with me right next to him.  I quickly swerved right and maintained about an 1" buffer between me and the stang.  It was really, really, really close, it as over before I could even think about it.  The guy never looked to the right, never looked over his right shoulder, and didn't use his turn signal!!!  
mad.gif
 I looked back afterwards and he had a sheepish look on his face and basically motioned "sorry".  

After my accident last year when a suburban took me out with a violent lane change with no turn signal, I didn't even have time to react, I've tried to educate people I know to ALWAYS use a turn signal and NEVER change lanes suddenly or quickly.  The argument that someone will fill your hole is not good enough.  I always use my turn signal in my car and am always able to change lanes when I want to.  I move over at a normal rate or slower and the idoit who tries to fill the hole always backs off because he know's I'm coming.

Here's the rant;

rant.gif
 The turn signal isn't for you or those you see.  Its for those you don't see, it gives them the chance to evade!!  We're all human, we'll all screwup and not see someone when changing lanes, and using the turn signal will save your a$$ or someone elses!!!!
rant.gif

I feel better now...  
cool.gif

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1153857172 -->

mad.gif

rant.gif

Sounds like you had some bad luck but made up for it with good heads up riding. Good job on staying sharp!

Daym Charles, do you wear a jacket with a target on it? Glad you came out OK. Be careful out there.

dayum Charles!! Glad you're alright. After riding with you almost 2 months ago, I feel you're a very good rider who doesn't do anything stupid to jeopardize your life. That would've put a damper on my day if your return trip from Laguna turned out otherwise.

Makes ya just wanna keep it on the track 100% doesn't it? I know some of the close calls I've been through made me seriously consider it.

Good way to keep your head up bro!! BTW-we gotta get our SoCal crew to do one more ride before summer's end.
cool.gif

Damn poor luck dude--but GREAT riding on your part. If your weren't as alert and skilled, you probably woundn't be posting!

dayum Charles!! Glad you're alright. After riding with you almost 2 months ago, I feel you're a very good rider who doesn't do anything stupid to jeopardize your life. That would've put a damper on my day if your return trip from Laguna turned out otherwise.

Makes ya just wanna keep it on the track 100% doesn't it? I know some of the close calls I've been through made me seriously consider it.

Good way to keep your head up bro!! BTW-we gotta get our SoCal crew to do one more ride before summer's end.  
cool.gif
Yeah, right after both I was asking that question to myself, "why ride on the street?"

Then I remember that you can get hurt sleeping in your bed, eating breakfast, walking to the mailbox, etc...  When its your time, its your time.

No sense trying to live life in fear, you can't control it.  Just try to manage the risks.

I'm definately up for another SoCal ride  
cool.gif

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1153879540 -->

cool.gif

Then yesterday I'm splitting on the 405 in heavy traffic.  
Splitting lanes seems <span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>REAL</span> dangerous to me .
Glad U came out allright though !
Actually I think riding in your own lane at the same speed as cars in heavy traffic is more dangerous. People get rear-ended everyday out here, it happened to me 3 weeks ago in my car.

Splitting the lanes and going slightly faster than the flow of traffic is safer. Maybe you just have to experience it to believe.

My accident last year on my GSXR1000, when the suburban violently changed lanes, happened when I wasn't splitting.

Its just that riding on these freeways period is dangerous. I cannot wait until I'm promoted to Long Beach Tower. No more commute, surface streets only, 10mins away. I'll never take the bike to work
biggrin.gif

nice riding! Good to hear you didn't get hurt!
Good luck out there!!

Splitting lanes seems <span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>REAL</span> dangerous to me .
Actually I think riding in your own lane at the same speed as cars in heavy traffic is more dangerous.  People get rear-ended everyday out here, it happened to me 3 weeks ago in my car.

Splitting the lanes and going slightly faster than the flow of traffic is safer.  Maybe you just have to experience it to believe.  

My accident last year on my GSXR1000, when the suburban violently changed lanes, happened when I wasn't splitting.  

Its just that riding on these freeways period is dangerous.  I cannot wait until I'm promoted to Long Beach Tower.  No more commute, surface streets only, 10mins away.  I'll never take the bike to work  
biggrin.gif
Just proves why we all have to ride like everyone is out to kill us. I try to keep a cushion around me at all times and look for an escape but just when you have a cushion some stupid cager decided to cut you off and pull infront to make it to their destination a whole 1 second faster. Saint Louis just got 50 new police bikes I hear and am hoping now that the cops are in full force on two wheels that cagers will look a little harder for us.

Actually I think riding in your own lane at the same speed as cars in heavy traffic is more dangerous.  People get rear-ended everyday out here, it happened to me 3 weeks ago in my car.

Splitting the lanes and going slightly faster than the flow of traffic is safer.  Maybe you just have to experience it to believe.  

Its just that riding on these freeways period is dangerous.  I cannot wait until I'm promoted to Long Beach Tower.  No more commute, surface streets only, 10mins away.  I'll never take the bike to work  
biggrin.gif
Not trying to start anything Charles .......It's illegal here in South Carolina but if it was legal , I'm sure I might try it . The problem is when you're splitting lanes you're more apt to be in someone's blindspots .
Lucky for me , the routes I take to work , has very little traffic . Just a crapload of wildlife .....deer , rabbits , posseum and back country yard dogs .
biggrin.gif

Good luck in that California Madness !!

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
Not trying to start anything Charles .......It's illegal here in South Carolina but if it was legal , I'm sure I might try it . The problem is when you're splitting lanes you're more apt to be in someone's blindspots .
Lucky for me , the routes I take to work , has very little traffic . Just a crapload of wildlife .....deer , rabbits , posseum and back country yard dogs .  
biggrin.gif

Good luck in that California Madness !!
Were we starting something
laugh.gif
tounge.gif

Naw, its just one of those subjective things.

For example when is it "unsafe" to speed?

below the speed limit, at the limit, 5 above, 10 above, etc...

Its different for everyone.

biggrin.gif

Traffic here in HillBilly land isn't bad enough to condone lane splitting , I guess .
laugh.gif

Back