Should we as Americans care about starving people in Somalia?

the article was about kenya, but it could also be ethiopia, *****, somalia, zimbabwe, liberia, the congo and others. Those countries do not have the perseverance to do what it takes to help themselves. I don't think they have the ability to govern themselves in a manner that would bring prosperity to their countries and their people.
as far as sending them money? most of the money would be pilfered and stolen, also, this does not address the long term problem. They need quality honest leaders, and this resource is extremely scarce. I wish them luck, but we have our own problems.

give a man a fish... and so on

Starving Children in Africa...............This has been going on for YEARS !!

Tell them to STOP BREEDING and take care of the kids they do have.............:rulez:

Then Form a Government that Gives a **** about them :thumbsup:

Why does the United States of America have to be the Police Department for the World :moon:

Don't get me started.............

I too am troubled by people on the corner with will work for food signs but I don't feel as bad for them because they are here and have opp to help themselves. The amount of money we spend dropping bombs on people could much better be served helping people.
It is not all politics and warlords bu they do have a big part played in it.

Just tears me up thinking about innocent kids dying of slow starvation.

Today my family went out to taco bell and there was a woman on the corner with a sign asking for help, so I got a couple extra burritos to give to her. While I was in getting food I seen they were hiring, so I told the ladies (who wanted money, not food) that they were hiring and she should check it out.. she told me its not worth hef time???

I think charity starts at home but I agree there are things in the world that make sad. I am lucky to have been born in American.
Posted via Mobile Device

Today my family went out to taco bell and there was a woman on the corner with a sign asking for help, so I got a couple extra burritos to give to her. While I was in getting food I seen they were hiring, so I told the ladies (who wanted money, not food) that they were hiring and she should check it out.. she told me its not worth hef time???

I think charity starts at home but I agree there are things in the world that make sad. I am lucky to have been born in American.
Posted via Mobile Device

That is the Problem with the Great Old USA !!!!!!!!!

Give ANYONE an Inch and they will ALLWAYS take a Mile !!!!:banghead:

True Americans were not Raised that way. A hand out used to be a shamefull thing, Unless **** really happened and you Needed it. Nowdays it the Norm :moon:

ROME lasted how long ?

Ahmed will never see your 50 dollars. Part of it might get to Somalia, but it will get intercepted and end up feeding whoever the warlords and/or pirates want fed.

The U.N. had an Army there to insure that Ahmed got the thousands of tons of International Relief supplies that were being sent. They couldn't do it.

Tell them to STOP BREEDING and take care of the kids they do have.............:rulez:

This is well said for the entire human population.

The earth can only sustain so many people, however, people keep breeding. I say breeding because thats exactly what it is.

In addition, we have been based on a survival of the fittest up until the 1900's when the population started to really boom and people were having 3-8 kids that started living past 30 yrs old. Prior to the 1900's there were constant wars everywhere, people would die in mass numbers at early ages, keeping the population down. Now, less war and better war tactics keep more people alive, and medicine keep them alive longer. So now when there is starving and famine, we just reallocate the famine. Its not fixing the problem.

Natural disasters. You know they happen. You know where they happen. If you dont want to get effected by it, move. Dont have a car? Walk. Thats what humans did long ago, they walked out of places they didnt want to be. Choose to stay? You are taking the inherit risk of staying.

New Orleans: They knew it was coming. They knew it would be bad. The intelligent people vacated. Those that stayed won the darwin award.
Survival of the fittest. It is the way of life. Plain and simple. Until we have sustainable environments, and regenerating fuel, survival of the fittest.

Children are dying...everywhere...that fact alone is intolerable...

A child is a gift from God...regardless of your stance, your political view or your opinion, if you have a child, look at them today when they're home for a second and tell me the pain you would feel if YOUR child died (God forbid) is any different than the pain those parents feel...

Im not going to advocate any side of the argument, moot point.

ANY child, in any country, under any circumstance shouldnt die of starvation...period.

What is portrayed on CNN and Fox, sells news and increases revenue. Unfortunately what you see in Somalia in the media is aimed at generating income and it is a drop in the ocean compared to what happens in greater Africa, places in Asia, Mexico and South America.

Charity is a good thing, but unfortunately there are some hard facts to deal with. The more support given where there is corruption, lack of governing and no regard for human life, the more support will be needed in the future, meaning the problem just grows bigger and further.

Lycan , I understand where youre coming from BUT In those other countries they think totally different than we do, some are worse than animals .. I was watching a show a long time ago about Africa . The men in the village would tie a rope on their kids while in a boat . Throw them over board ( like fishing bait) to bring the crocodiles close to the boat so they could spear it.. When asked what if the croc gets your child ? we have more children !he said... When dumb breeds with dumb it equals dumber . when lazy breds with lazy = more lazy. Then you end up with groups doing stuff Like in England right now.
I believe thats why GOD sent David into villages to destroy every living thing. People, animals and yes Childern. Left nothing alive ..

The U.N. had an Army there to insure that Ahmed got the thousands of tons of International Relief supplies that were being sent. They couldn't do it.

Actually, they could, it's just the neither the Donating Military Countries nor the UN are willing to do what needs to be done !

Children are dying...everywhere...that fact alone is intolerable...

A child is a gift from God...regardless of your stance, your political view or your opinion, if you have a child, look at them today when they're home for a second and tell me the pain you would feel if YOUR child died (God forbid) is any different than the pain those parents feel...

Im not going to advocate any side of the argument, moot point.

ANY child, in any country, under any circumstance shouldnt die of starvation...period.

I'm with you to a point Lycan, I would do anything to help out a child. BUT in cases like this you can almost guarantee that any money you send thinking your helping out Ahmed will never see him or any of his brothers or sisters which I'm sure there are plenty of believe me.

How long do you remember seeing Sally Struthers or that other old guy(sorry can't name him) on those commercials begging everyone to PLEASE HELP these starving children for years and years. And you figure if just a 1/2% of people seeing those commercials donated which I'm sure it was a whole lot more since they seemed to only show the kids which looked like bags of bones and had flies all over them walking thru what looked to be dump sites telling everyone they were looking for their 1 meal they will probably only get all week. If just a 1/2% donated that would equals hundreds of millions of dollars sent over there.

And have you ever noticed that the places living conditions and children now look no different if not possibly worse then it did 20 yrs ago? Sorta like trying to put out a fire with gasoline. Problem only gets worse and ends up needing more and more and more.

And yes, you can look at your child and think there is no way you would let them starve so why should you not help out someone else's child which are as fortunate as you may be. But the bigger question is if you see it that way would you continue having more kids if you couldn't even keep the ones you do have from starving? I would assume you would say no, but those people don't and how's it gonna help when you have all these celebrities and high almighty people asking everyone else to give money to help them. If you really watch some of those commercials you will be surprised. Ever notice any of them women holding their starving dying child all the while they are sitting there pregnant again.

Just goes to show you money can't help ignorance.

Lycan , I understand where youre coming from BUT In those other countries they think totally different than we do, some are worse than animals .. I was watching a show a long time ago about Africa . The men in the village would tie a rope on their kids while in a boat . Throw them over board ( like fishing bait) to bring the crocodiles close to the boat so they could spear it.. When asked what if the croc gets your child ? we have more children !he said... When dumb breeds with dumb it equals dumber . when lazy breds with lazy = more lazy. Then you end up with groups doing stuff Like in England right now.
I believe thats why GOD sent David into villages to destroy every living thing. People, animals and yes Childern. Left nothing alive ..

I get it dude...like I said, I am not going to lean either way intot he argument, Im sure we allcould talk for months about it....

My point is only that when a child dies it's a big loss..thats all

I'm with you to a point Lycan, I would do anything to help out a child. BUT in cases like this you can almost guarantee that any money you send thinking your helping out Ahmed will never see him or any of his brothers or sisters which I'm sure there are plenty of believe me.

How long do you remember seeing Sally Struthers or that other old guy(sorry can't name him) on those commercials begging everyone to PLEASE HELP these starving children for years and years. And you figure if just a 1/2% of people seeing those commercials donated which I'm sure it was a whole lot more since they seemed to only show the kids which looked like bags of bones and had flies all over them walking thru what looked to be dump sites telling everyone they were looking for their 1 meal they will probably only get all week. If just a 1/2% donated that would equals hundreds of millions of dollars sent over there.

And have you ever noticed that the places living conditions and children now look no different if not possibly worse then it did 20 yrs ago? Sorta like trying to put out a fire with gasoline. Problem only gets worse and ends up needing more and more and more.

And yes, you can look at your child and think there is no way you would let them starve so why should you not help out someone else's child which are as fortunate as you may be. But the bigger question is if you see it that way would you continue having more kids if you couldn't even keep the ones you do have from starving? I would assume you would say no, but those people don't and how's it gonna help when you have all these celebrities and high almighty people asking everyone else to give money to help them. If you really watch some of those commercials you will be surprised. Ever notice any of them women holding their starving dying child all the while they are sitting there pregnant again.

Just goes to show you money can't help ignorance.

Again bro, I get it....

I was just commenting on the fact that any child dying of starvation in the 20th century is a sad statement thats all. I dont necessarily disagree with anyones views or arguments here on this topic, my only point is that it saddens me that in this day and age children still are dying from hunger...thats all

As a father, it pains me too. It would be better if they'd stop bringing so many kids into the world without a chance...or for alligator bait...

To all who say 'stop having so many kids'

I don't understand?

Are they to simply stop having kids in hopes of having a family? Just stop breeding and let their race, their tribe wither away without renewal? It is Human nature to want to reproduce and in fact many enjoy it :) but why is it that when they have kids their stupid ignorant Africans and when we do it's creating a family? If they were to stop having kids Africa in those areas would become a barren plain in a generation or two. Some would say....hmm..ok, but would that not be condoning extermination of a race of people?
I don't think it right to say 'just stop having kids'. Heck why don't we go down there and tell everyone to line up for the miracle injection which is gonna cure them and make them better and just make the shot a sterilization one. Then in a few years we won't have to hear about how bad it is in africa because everybody will be gone turned to dust. Right? That would be ok because basically the same thing is happening only on a slower time frame. Who knows what to do but I don't think saying 'stop having kids' is the answer.

To all who say 'stop having so many kids'

I don't understand?

Are they to simply stop having kids in hopes of having a family? Just stop breeding and let their race, their tribe wither away without renewal? It is Human nature to want to reproduce and in fact many enjoy it :) but why is it that when they have kids their stupid ignorant Africans and when we do it's creating a family? If they were to stop having kids Africa in those areas would become a barren plain in a generation or two. Some would say....hmm..ok, but would that not be condoning extermination of a race of people?
I don't think it right to say 'just stop having kids'. Heck why don't we go down there and tell everyone to line up for the miracle injection which is gonna cure them and make them better and just make the shot a sterilization one. Then in a few years we won't have to hear about how bad it is in africa because everybody will be gone turned to dust. Right? That would be ok because basically the same thing is happening only on a slower time frame. Who knows what to do but I don't think saying 'stop having kids' is the answer.

When they say stop having kids, theyre saying it with underlining statements of "Stop having kids that you cant afford to raise"

So stop having kids = stop having kids you cant raise

Why have a child you cant afford to take care of? No point. It is nobody elses responsibility to raise that child. Poor planing on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

But nothing ever changes financially for them. The area is in a constant state of famine. Should they still not have kids?

But nothing ever changes financially for them. The area is in a constant state of famine. Should they still not have kids?

Well, they can do what humans have done for thousands of years and walk to a place that isnt in famine, or if they choose to stay and have kids anyway then theyve chosen to watch their own kids starve.

Its literally a choice.

Back