Should I

Dude I am a salesman. I had guy buy a CBR600RR from our store after I tried to talk him out of it. He had never been on a scoot before. He dropped it four times in 3 miles. Pulled out in front of a moving Excursion. The dear Lord was looking out for him that day. I followed him to his house, I offered to deliver it for him.New $7,000.00 Honda-- 15 min later worth about $4200.00.
Your best bet get a good used bike for a lot less $$$. Your gonna drop your scoot, might as well have one with a few scratches in it any ways.
 Good luck --take it easy.

This could be you on a Busa !!!

fast_bike.jpg

(Texas Busa @ Feb. 21 2007,17:52) Here is my problem, I plan on buying my first bike within the next week, and I went to the shop to try and buy a busa and the sales guy said he would not sell me one becuase i never been on a bike other then the one in the saftey class. Do you guys think it is that crazy for my first bike to be a busa?
A must read for a first time buyer

(BA BUSA @ Feb. 21 2007,21:37)
(Texas Busa @ Feb. 21 2007,17:52) Here is my problem, I plan on buying my first bike within the next week, and I went to the shop to try and buy a busa and the sales guy said he would not sell me one becuase i never been on a bike other then the one in the saftey class. Do you guys think it is that crazy for my first bike to be a busa?
Ok I see what you mean.

(GoldenChild @ Feb. 21 2007,20:37) Your Size and Maturity level should help you decide if you ready cause your skills will grow with time(if you know how to ride the slightest).Stay away from folks in the beginning and hone your skills,ride to your comfort level not what you see others doing.My first bike was a 1000 and I think it taught me to be humble because I KNEW WHAT IT COULD DO TO ME...Think ahead when you ride,and relax and you will be fine...How Tall are you?Weight?
I am 6'2 215ilb, I think I am mature enough to respect the bike, don't plan to go out there and start racing. But to get out there and just ride. I figured if I got the bike and just ride it around for weekends for a while I can get use to a big bike.

(BusaSamurai @ Feb. 21 2007,21:02) Here is the perfect starter bike 599 honda . Get it master it then get a busa . Believe me you wont regret it .
+1- I couldn't agree more. I came off a Yamaha FZ1 which I rode for a couple of years. Really happy I had that expereince before the 'busa. Get some miles & experience under your belt. You'll be glad you did.

Guy at work. 4 or 5 of us ride at my job. I am the only sport bike rider, all the rest have Harlie's We have all ridden for 10 to 20 years. The new guy wants a bike, he is 30 and has never ridden. Two of the harley riders are talking him into getting a road king or fat boy. He turns to me and asks when are you going to try and sell me, I say never! Learn first.

Hey Texas,

I have a brother in Austin that just moved up to a 1200 bmw. He is looking to sell his "starter" bike. It is a really nice Nighthawk 750. Let me know if you are interested and I can put you in touch with him.

And these guys are right. You are in for a lot of headaches trying to learn on a Busa.

zalto

(zalto @ Feb. 22 2007,11:10) Hey Texas,

I have a brother in Austin that just moved up to a 1200 bmw.  He is looking to sell his "starter" bike.  It is a really nice Nighthawk 750.  Let me know if you are interested and I can put you in touch with him.

And these guys are right.  You are in for a lot of headaches trying to learn on a Busa.

zalto
Nighthawk 750---GREAT BIKE! Wish I had never sold my 2002!

(BA BUSA @ Feb. 21 2007,21:37)
Excellent write up!  Contrary to anything to do with size, weight and maturity level you lack the skill level that a 155+ HP motorcycle demands.  When the 900cc Kawasaki came out many, many years ago a friend of mine who had never riden before wanted one.  He wanted to be the most envied guy on two wheels riding the most advanced motorcycle of the day.  He wrecked the bike the first week, got it out of the shop and one month later he was dead.  Motorcycles are a lot of fun when operated within the realm of reason and experience.  Even experienced riders do stupid stuff and get into trouble, but for a novice to try to climb that learning/experience curve with something as powerful as a Hayabusa, litre bike or even less can leave you severly injured, permanetly disabled or dead.  Take your time and there will be many years of enjoyable riding ahead of you.  Besides, you may be able to pick a pristine used 'Busa from an old fart like me.  
wink.gif

All of these posts with negative feedback on buying the Busa as a first bike is more then likely coming from an older crowd.(older not being bad) They may have alot of hours riding under there belt and years of expierence but they cannot determine your level of maturity or ability to ride a motorcycle by just reading a question. They are right about the busa being a very powerful and heavy bike, but with the right mind set and some sort of agility you can drive anything. For some people it comes easier and for some it doesent. Some people will drop/wreck there bike in no time while others may go years without any sort of mishaps. If you can supress your desire to pull back that throttle while you learn the ins,outs and weight of your new bike then you should be ok. You can kill yourself on anything, but on a Busa you will get up to life taking speed alot faster. I am 21 years old,  6'3 270 lbs and the busa was the first bike I ever drove. I drove it before I even took the MSF course. I now have 3,000 miles on my bike (wich is not much) with a few 50 mile trips each way to Miami on
I-95 with a bunch of other riders and have had no problems. As long as there is a Haybusa around this debate will never cease.

(Cadillac94Pimpin @ Feb. 22 2007,13:00) All of these posts with negative feedback on buying the Busa as a first bike is more then likely coming from an older crowd.(older not being bad) They may have alot of hours riding under there belt and years of expierence but they cannot determine your level of maturity or ability to ride a motorcycle by just reading a question. They are right about the busa being a very powerful and heavy bike, but with the right mind set and some sort of agility you can drive anything. For some people it comes easier and for some it doesent. Some people will drop/wreck there bike in no time while others may go years without any sort of mishaps. If you can supress your desire to pull back that throttle while you learn the ins,outs and weight of your new bike then you should be ok. You can kill yourself on anything, but on a Busa you will get up to life taking speed alot faster. I am 21 years old, 6'3 270 lbs and the busa was the first bike I ever drove. I drove it before I even took the MSF course. I now have 3,000 miles on my bike (wich is not much) with a few 50 mile trips each way to Miami on
I-95 with a bunch of other riders and have had no problems. As long as there is a Haybusa around this debate will never cease.
Some has gave me hope, I figure as long as I respect the beast I should be ok, If i do go with a busa I think I will go used because if I do drop it, It will not be as bad.

I say go out and buy a used bike and ride it for a few thousand miles. Sell the used bike, get most or all of your money back. Then buy what you want.

Welcome!

Can you get a Busa as your frist bike? Yes.

A better idea would be to get a smaller used bike and ride it for a year or two to get the feel for riding. At the end of that time you should be able to sell it for the same price that you bought it and then get a Busa.

Hi Everyone,
I am new to this site and this is my first post. I went through the same thing when I was considering a ZX 14. I asked if this would be a good first street bike. I have dirt bike experience. Some advised against the ZX 14 and others said go for it. I see the same thing here. After much thought I decided to purchase a smaller CBR 600 F4i. I am happy I did. This thing has a lot of power. I have ridden two days so far. There have been a couple throttle slips which turned out fine. But, can't imagine what might have happened on the ZX or the Busa. I came to my decision to start smaller just by thinking what made the most sense. Did it really make a lot of sense starting on a ZX 14. No! It was a major WANT. Just think to yourself, what makes the most sense. Better safe than sorry. I may ride my F4i for a month or more and move on to something else. But, before I do I will become an excellent street rider first. Glad to be here.

the busa was my first bike..i asked someone i trust very much what a good bike for me was..he told me i wouldnt be happy with anything but a hayabusa due to my size..i asked if the bike was too much bike..he told me there is no such thing as too much bike just not enough brains..you can hurt yourself just as much on a 600 as you could a busa..you need to know your limits..i stated off slow going around the block then thru the neighborhood..

guess what i'm trying to say is that if you think you can hop on a busa or any sport bike and give the throttle a full twist then get a peddle bike instead..but if you know your limits and are wililng to take it slow then go for it..you wont regret it

(Texas Busa @ Feb. 22 2007,16:11)
(Cadillac94Pimpin @ Feb. 22 2007,13:00) All of these posts with negative feedback on buying the Busa as a first bike is more then likely coming from an older crowd.(older not being bad) They may have alot of hours riding under there belt and years of expierence but they cannot determine your level of maturity or ability to ride a motorcycle by just reading a question. They are right about the busa being a very powerful and heavy bike, but with the right mind set and some sort of agility you can drive anything. For some people it comes easier and for some it doesent. Some people will drop/wreck there bike in no time while others may go years without any sort of mishaps. If you can supress your desire to pull back that throttle while you learn the ins,outs and weight of your new bike then you should be ok. You can kill yourself on anything, but on a Busa you will get up to life taking speed alot faster. I am 21 years old,  6'3 270 lbs and the busa was the first bike I ever drove. I drove it before I even took the MSF course. I now have 3,000 miles on my bike (wich is not much) with a few 50 mile trips each way to Miami on
Some has gave me hope, I figure as long as I respect the beast I should be ok, If i do go with a busa I think I will go used because if I do drop it, It will not be as bad.
buy what you like, but do take a course or two. I've known a couple of people who purchased a busa for there first bike and did ok. I think age has everything to do with it (maturity) they both were in there 40's. take it easy and please, please take a course or two. DO NOT TRY AND FIND THE END OF THE THROTTLE FIRST TIME OUT.

be safe

(rockadaous @ Feb. 22 2007,15:18)
(Texas Busa @ Feb. 22 2007,16:11)
(Cadillac94Pimpin @ Feb. 22 2007,13:00) All of these posts with negative feedback on buying the Busa as a first bike is more then likely coming from an older crowd.(older not being bad) They may have alot of hours riding under there belt and years of expierence but they cannot determine your level of maturity or ability to ride a motorcycle by just reading a question. They are right about the busa being a very powerful and heavy bike, but with the right mind set and some sort of agility you can drive anything. For some people it comes easier and for some it doesent. Some people will drop/wreck there bike in no time while others may go years without any sort of mishaps. If you can supress your desire to pull back that throttle while you learn the ins,outs and weight of your new bike then you should be ok. You can kill yourself on anything, but on a Busa you will get up to life taking speed alot faster. I am 21 years old, 6'3 270 lbs and the busa was the first bike I ever drove. I drove it before I even took the MSF course. I now have 3,000 miles on my bike (wich is not much) with a few 50 mile trips each way to Miami on
buy what you like, but do take a course or two. I've known a couple of people who purchased a busa for there first bike and did ok. I think age has everything to do with it (maturity) they both were in there 40's. take it easy and please, please take a course or two. DO NOT TRY AND FIND THE END OF THE THROTTLE FIRST TIME OUT.

be safe
I am going to take the course at harlie next week becuase they allow you to on a 500, but what other type of course are out there.

(Cadillac94Pimpin @ Feb. 22 2007,15:00) I now have 3,000 miles on my bike (wich is not much) with a few 50 mile trips each way to Miami on
I-95 with a bunch of other riders and have had no problems.
Let me start by saying that I agree that there are some people out there that can and have picked up a busa as their first bike and have had no issues but remember that there are countless other people that have bought 1000cc and up bikes as their first bike and arent around to talk about their mistakes...
It takes alot more than a few rides up and down a straight freeway with a few other bikes to get the experience (that should be required in my book) riding on the street among 2000+ lbs cars with drivers that arent looking out for a 500 missle. Just about anyone can go straight and make a few turns on a motorcycle... makes no difference if its a busa or a 50cc scooter. Its what you have to do while riding in or out of traffic, watching for road hazards, negotiating those road hazards, learning what to do in an emergency situation, ect. ect. that should be learned on a smaller displacment bike. A simple slight twist of the wrist in the first few gears on a busa is enough to put a novice rider in the dirt in the wrong situation.

i would also say go for a used bike in the range of 600 cc.... and used is the key. that way when you drop it, it wont hurt as much as it would on a new bike. then practice and take some classes. they are out there. believe me just because you have ridden along time does not mean you know squat. classes are a great tool to learn new things and refresh on old learned ones... good luck and hope you get back here. And one more thing... Get yourself some safety gear. Helmet jacket gloves boots etc. dont skimp out on this part. it will save your life!

Back