Finally got an 08 busa and i'm scared out my mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have checked maybe half a dozen "how to pick a first bike" sites and not a single one said a word about a bikes "physical size" in selection.. go figure..

Points outlined in most of the sites:

• when and where will you be riding
  • what is your riding style
  • have you ever ridden a motorcycle before
  • how much can you spend
  • what type of person are you
I see a lot about MSF courses and they should be required but they are in no way a substitute for experience on the street.. you can not gain the experience required to safely ride the street at any MSF course.. They can help you become more aware of your problems but they can not properly prepare any rider for the streets in 8 or 12 hours of training..

the best place to learn riding IMO is on a nice little dirt bike where mistakes result in a few bruises, a cloud of dust and often a giggle or two.. Situational awareness is impossible for a new rider to busy trying to remember 1 down/ 5 up, clutch, front brake, rear brake, push to steer etc... I love Kieth Codes $10 theory.. if you are not familiar with it? find his book and read it.. (Twist of the wrist 1 and 2) although geared towards the track rider, any street rider will benefit..

busa as a first bike? if you gotta ask? you already know the answer...

(you do know that many of these threads are started by people as a joke right?)

Last edited:
Wow....this is the fastest I've seen a New Owners thread blow up! 5pgs deep on the 1st day. Some fat in the middle that could be trimmed out, bur what are you gonna do. Opinions are like A-holes.....:whistle:

The entire spectrum has been voiced over to you in this thread, so I'm really not going to say much. Mr. Bogus's post above is spot on.

My advice would be to keep the Busa in your basement until you complete the MSF course and feel 100% comfortable.
:welcome:

Good luck my friend & enjoy.

I agree with most folks - not an ideal bike to learn on... that said you can "probably" learn to ride on it.

My advice is that as soon as you think you know something about riding (assuming you get this far along) a Busa and become a little comfortable with the bike - beware because thats when this unforgiving machine will bite... 2000 or 3000 miles down the road don't fool yourself into thinking you've mastered this bike because as soon as you let your guard down this bike will maim or kill you... I am not trying to scare you, but you have to understand that super sports have performance enevelops that far exceed the skills of all but the best riders. Don't be fooled by the good manners of this bike because if you are not disciplined as you are improving you may unfortunately have an incident. Then you will have a first hand understanding of ominous angst in all the responses to you're post. Declaring that you will learn to ride on a Busa and the only aprehension you have is controlling the throttle makes many of us queazy.

If I prayed - I would pray for your on going safety...

Good luck

Yeah.

Search through most of the "Busa is my first bike" threads and you will know how I really feel about the topic, but I'll save you the time.

It's one of the worst bikes that you can choose as a first bike!!!!!! Yes, you can survive it, but that doesn't mean it was a good choice. Most new riders will never get anywhere near their full potential starting on a bike like the Busa. Learning to ride a slow bike fast will teach a rider much more than learning to ride a fast bike slow.

Please try to remember, your first bike won't be your last, hopefully.

Agree 100% with Tru and others here about this. Learning to ride a motorcycle on the street PERIOD is a hands full proposition just by itself. With the added challenge of handling a high performance supersport while at the same time stumbling thru a learning curve can be expensive at best and deadly at worst. The whole thing could leave a bad taste in your mouth about bikes in general and the 'busa specifically.

Unfortunately, the purchase has already been made and to make it worse, you have winter coming on with limited riding time left to practice (bench riding ain't gonna help). I guess besides the MSF course, if you could afford to pick up a cheap 2nd learner bike, that might be a better solution.

Howdy Mike !!! It sounds like you have a good outlook on things and you'll be fine. I live in MD as well. Take the Total Control Clinic in the spring with Lee Parks. They host it up at Frederick Community College once a month in the warmer months. You might like it.

I have checked maybe half a dozen "how to pick a first bike" sites and not a single one said a word about a bikes "physical size" in selection.. go figure..

Points outlined in most of the sites:

• when and where will you be riding
  • what is your riding style
  • have you ever ridden a motorcycle before
  • how much can you spend
  • what type of person are you
I see a lot about MSF courses and they should be required but they are in no way a substitute for experience on the street.. you can not gain the experience required to safely ride the street at any MSF course.. They can help you become more aware of your problems but they can not properly prepare any rider for the streets in 8 or 12 hours of training..

the best place to learn riding IMO is on a nice little dirt bike where mistakes result in a few bruises, a cloud of dust and often a giggle or two.. Situational awareness is impossible for a new rider to busy trying to remember 1 down/ 5 up, clutch, front brake, rear brake, push to steer etc... I love Kieth Codes $10 theory.. if you are not familiar with it? find his book and read it.. (Twist of the wrist 1 and 2) although geared towards the track rider, any street rider will benefit..

busa as a first bike? if you gotta ask? you already know the answer...

(you do know that many of these threads are started by people as a joke right?)
This man speaks the truth, riding dirt or smaller race bikes is where its at to hone skills that you can't get on the street. I don't know how popular it is in the states, but here in Western Canada, we have a thing that has caught on.

Mini Road Racing, most inexpensive racing you can get yourself into. Hone your skills on the track and push yourself to the max. All at low speeds that if you do crash. Not much is going to happen to you. The bikes are small and cheap to run. If you crash 99% of the time, you pick up the bike and keep going. All done on a go cart track. Cheap fun, there is expert classes for those that want to advance. You learn your limits, learn control. Learn how to get out of dicey situations.

Like everyone here said, take a MSC. Consider buying a tamer bike, I myself started on a 600RR, never been down on the street. But everyone has had the close calls and learned from them. Smaller bikes are easier to handle and easier to grasp. If you don't take our advice though, please do yourself a favor and take it easy and make sure you don't become a statistic. Happy Riding Buddy. :thumbsup:

First I must say THANKS but let me clear up a few things I didn't just buy this bike because I know it's the baddest ***** on two wheels, after going to a few hundred bike shops and sitting on everything from a scooter to the BUSA and everything in between I made this choice with a few thoughts in mind 1. I want a bike I can grow with and don't get bored with in 3 years 2. I have no true passion for speed I just wanna hit the road and embrace and enjoy the ride 3. I have a three year old son and a wife to make it home to every night so the ego part is gone plus my wife took and put my balls in her purse years ago:rofl: and last I know myself and anything I've ever done I become a student of it I will learn this like I learn everything else in life with baby steps and thosands hours of studing and practice so again thanks a lot for every ones advice And keep it coming cuz you guys pointed out a lot of helpful hints and tips

Back