Finally got an 08 busa and i'm scared out my mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not making this a fight, and for your info, my insurance is not high, I have zero speeding tickets on my record and I'm a careful rider and driver. I was simply pointing out that it DOES indeed take common sense and perhaps less "chest-pounding" to ride ANY motorcycle. If you hop on any bike and try to be the best rider ride out of the gate, you will get hurt. I have always been a careful rider and I'm still here, so I guess that counts for something. I also graduated to the Busa from a little 883 Sportster, so that counts for something too, whether you like it or not...

Resume said chest thumping now; I'm almost impressed :laugh:

I heard that air bags lower your insurance.....:whistle:

another noob speaks from his loads of experience.

OP, bad decision, good luck.

MSF inst. buddy (yes i;m an MSF inst too) rides his ninja250 all over , 9k in '08, has 2 -1200cc bikes in the garage. He's 6'-3, 300+ lbs.........damm there goes your size excuse.

Noob ???

:rofl:

:welcome: to the board :newbie: :newbie: :newbie:

:laugh:

until something else happens that is not under his control...i agree that a new rider can potentially learn how to ride on a Busa if nothing unexpected happens...however, most end up crashing and hurting themselves and/or others when an animal or small child runs out in front of them, they accidentally end up in gravel, another vehicle cuts them off, etc. and they don't have the experience to handle the circumstances...this is just my opinion formed from my experiences
wise words.....:bowdown:

rider size has nothing to do with skill and bike selection... (makes a great excuse however)

Best MSF instructor quote to graduating class "you are now certified to ride in a parking lot"

Last edited:
wise words.....:bowdown:

rider size has nothing to do with skill and bike selection... (makes a great excuse however)

Disagree.... You should get a bike that feels comfortable based upon your body size. That is not to say you can't modify a particular bike but rider size can have a lot to do with bike selection, this is why we have a range of bikes available in the Basic Rider Course. Further if you are comfortable on your bike you will be able to focus better on increasing your skills.

There are old pilots
there are bold pilots
but there are no old bold pilots

I have a buddy that is 6'4" @ 260 lbs. His first bike was a 929 that scared to hell out of him most of the time. He upgraded to a GXSR1000 this summer after a year of riding. He's still scared of his bike. I feel bad things coming, but you can't change someone else's mind for them.

In contrast, I'm 5'9" and under 200. Size has little to do with getting the biggest, fastest bike out there. The Ninja 650r is a great starter bike that can fit very large people too. It's ego and false preconcieved notions that lead new riders to bikes like the Busa.

Welcome to the board. I wish you many safe and fun miles. Please consider getting a used bike like a 650r and ride it for a season before you hop an the Busa. It's better to have some skills and seat time before you jump into the deep end.

I have a buddy that is 6'4" @ 260 lbs. His first bike was a 929 that scared to hell out of him most of the time. He upgraded to a GXSR1000 this summer after a year of riding. He's still scared of his bike. I feel bad things coming, but you can't change someone else's mind for them.

There's definitely a segment of society that will "try" to ride despite their fears. If you are truly afraid to do it, it's not for you, however you should always have a very healthy respect for riding. I believe that helps keep the veteran riders centered and focused...almost sounds like your friend should take a step back before he does get hurt :(

Disagree.... You should get a bike that feels comfortable based upon your body size. That is not to say you can't modify a particular bike but rider size can have a lot to do with bike selection, this is why we have a range of bikes available in the Basic Rider Course. Further if you are comfortable on your bike you will be able to focus better on increasing your skills.

it has nothing to do w/ the fact they are all free from the manuf. and "we'll" take what we can get.:whistle:

and they are all 125/250's

500 in HDs program.

so your body size dictates what kinda bike you should get.......o...kay

it has nothing to do w/ the fact they are all free from the manuf. and "we'll" take what we can get.:whistle:

500 in HDs program.

No....your comfort (which might be affected by your body size) should be a consideration.

The bikes being donated has nothing to do with their physical size. Dirt bikes seem to be better for taller riders than Rebels for new riders taking the BRC. Being 6'3" I am much more comfortable on a Busa than a Rebel. It is also much easier for me to do the U-Turn Box on a larger bike.

Last edited:

500 in HDs program.

Do you have it in for everyone that just wants advice? This is not how we treat the new guys that come here asking us for OPINIONS, and opinions are just that. I must have missed where this site is all about what "Ed" would do. Have some respect please. The fighting in this guys' thread is all so unnecessary and I trust he'll read everything and wow, novel idea, decide for himself what's right FOR HIM. The jabs at the "newbies" from you are old already...time to take that step back.

And I'll disagree...I went from the smallest Harley to the biggest Suzuki with all of 2500 miles behind me. It takes common sense to ride any motorcycle, doesn't matter how fast or powerful it is...

Thanks for that Michelle. I'm going to be moving up from an HD 1200 Sporty and wondered if it would be crazy.

Thanks for that Michelle. I'm going to be moving up from an HD 1200 Sporty and wondered if it would be crazy.

It's not crazy, despite some opinions, if you're ready, you take your time and you always ride within your limits. :thumbsup: Seat time is most important (well just under wearing the proper gear). The more you KNOW your bike, the better off you will be. Nothing speeds up experience, just requires seat time...that's for ANY rider on ANY bike, not just the Busa.

Last edited:
Do you have it in for everyone that just wants advice? This is not how we treat the new guys that come here asking us for OPINIONS, and opinions are just that. I must have missed where this site is all about what "Ed" would do. Have some respect please. The fighting in this guys' thread is all so unnecessary and I trust he'll read everything and wow, novel idea, decide for himself what's right FOR HIM. The jabs at the "newbies" from you are old already...time to take that step back.

and because my $.02 is diff from yours i should quit posting? fyi, he's already decided. thats the beauty of the i-net, i can post my $.02 and not have to join rank-n-file.

jabs or realty, it is what it is........do you really think it's advisable for a guy w/ 1 mos experience to be advising others? happens alot. ever hear the phrase......blind leading the blind.

No....your comfort (which might be affected by your body size) should be a consideration.

The bikes being donated has nothing to do with their physical size. Dirt bikes seem to be better for taller riders than Rebels for new riders taking the BRC. Being 6'3" I am much more comfortable on a Busa than a Rebel. It is also much easier for me to do the U-Turn Box on a larger bike.

ok, fact remains if your 6'3 your gonna pretty much make ANY bike sans shaq's bike look small.

and sure the busa is a big better on the ergo's then say GSXR, but between 600/750/1000 there ain't a whole lotta diff. so then should a 100lb rider pick the 600, 200-750 & 300lber the 1000? all being new riders, just vary in size.

Back