Should I

good luck!!!!!!
beerchug.gif

I am going to disagree with the majority here, my 06 black and red was my first bike, now I did rent a ninja 650 for a weekend before buying my busa, but for the most part my busa is my first bike, its also my daily commuter so I have racked up 13500 miles in just over 7 months. I ride everyday so I have gotten very comfortable on my bike. I chose the busa for its comfort on the long rides. Also because I am big guy weighing in at around 280. But, If you are choosing the busa for its speed and performance I would say the are the wrong reasons and its not the bike for you. What ever you choose be careful, a 600 can be just as lethal.

Alot has been said about the skill level one needs to ride a busa, but I would also ask you to take in account the cost factor involved. Apart from the initial cost of a Hayabusa, have you checked the insurance rate for the bike. It may blow your mind and your pocketbook if you haven't. I know it did when I started checking around for insurance, and I'm mid 50s with a great driving record. Another cost involved is general maint. The busa eats rear tires for lunch, and to just keep one on the road can be a stress to the old budget. If you dump one you will really feel the pain. Bottom line is you are the only one who can make the decision, but from my perspective, if you are just starting to ride, buying a busa would be insane!

All I can say is listen to the experience riders. Me I didn't but I went and sat on some bikes at the dealer and decided the busa was my comfort. 6'2" 240lb, a experience rider told me throttle control and steering and don't be foolish and you will be alright.
After taking the MSF course and 3 yrs later, I got my Busa. First bike I ever had period.
One thing is ride with experience riders if possible they will keep you in line of do's and don'ts. I did neighborhood and local riding for about 2 weeks then experienced the highway after that. Once you get the feel of everything with your bike. Then ALWAYS keep your eyes
SHOCKED.gif
on the cars and trucks because they are your worse enemy. You know what your going to do but you don't know what they are going to do.

I think a great starter bike is a Katana 600.

Why?

Because:

1. The power is manageable and forgiving if you make a mistake.
2. Enough power to satisfy. Will still outrun pretty much any car if you want it to.
3. It's heavy, just like the Hayabusa and zx14... so it's a good bike to have to get used to the weight of the supersport bikes.
4. It's easy to ride.
5. It looks good.
6. Very reliable machine... been around a long time.

If you want to get a Busa down the road, I'd suggest riding something that feels similar... and that's the Katana bikes.

First thing: I am 20 years old... I bought my busa when I was 18 and had it for about 2 years. Now I sold it and got a Gsxr 1000.

Second thing: I know what I'm doing on bikes... ON THE BUSA, I was doing burnouts, moving burnouts, wheelies, stand-up wheelies, stoppies, and I topped it out a few times... some stock so I could see it top out at 186 and some with the TRE to go 190+ .... I also drag-raced the busa at the track... The reason I am saying this is so that you understand that I have experience and am skilled with bikes.

Third thing: I dropped my busa making a simple 10mph right turn... The busa is NOT forgiving... I wasn't paying enough attention and I guess I gave it too much throttle when I was turning (and by too much I just mean a hair... I wasn't trying to race... I was just making a turn into my development where I live...) Anyway, the rear wheel spun out from under me... .... I have enough throttle control that I can balance the bike on one wheel and wheelie for a very very long time.... yet, the busa bit my a$$ on a stupid right hand turn...

Last thing: It IS possible to learn on a busa... although as you can see, not very recommended. I think you really want the bike because it's cool, fast, comfortable, etc, but inside, you know the answer to your question. The reason you're asking whether you should get the busa or not is because inside, something's telling you that you shouldnt do it, however you are looking for someone to say "i learned to ride on a busa, and I was fine" to make you feel more confident about getting your "dream bike". A million people could say "dont do it" but you will just focus on the one person that said, "do it"... In the end, it's your life, and you have to decide... we can't tell you what you can or cannot do with your money. We can only pass down to you what we've learned from personal experience. If you are new to riding, ANY bike will feel VERY fast and VERY fun. I promise. I have a buddy of mine riding a 2003 Ninja 500 and he's loving it. He is looking to upgrade to an R6 in a month or two.

I completely agree.

If I had a busa as my first bike, it would not have been pretty. I had NEVER ridden a 2-wheeled motorcycle (just atv's like a quadsport) when I first bought my Katana 600 back in 96. That bike (to a new rider) is fast! Very fast! Even to an experienced rider it can be, too... because it's a bike and not a car. If you know my story, when I got my busa I hadn't ridden in quite some time... but I got used to it because of my experience on the heavy Katana bike. I later eased my way into the power of the busa. But a new rider (most) will not be able to handle the power and the weight of the bike right away. It takes time.

For someone who has never owned a motorcycle... I suggest a Katana if they want to start riding sportbikes (somewhat responsibly). It worked for me and I made a pretty easy transition to the busa.

i originally posted that you should start on a 600 or 750 and i still believe that. but if u do decide to purchase the busa then u def need to take the MSF course as it will teach u a ton of things about the motorcycle and riding. also, find a good solid group of riders to ride along with. i am 23 and went from a 600 cbr to the busa. i bought the busa after i moved out of state and didnt know anybody. in this area, u ride with your own crew or u ride with starboyz. i got lucky and found a great group of guys to ride with, some of which have taken the ama classes. i have learned a ton riding with those guys, especially when it comes to picking your lines. all i got to say is be careful on whatever u choose to ride. if ya do get a busa then welcome to the MADNESS!!!
super.gif
beerchug.gif

lurk.gif
Buy what you want, its no kids bike and remember if you sneezed to hard on it....... it could kill you

(Texas Busa @ Feb. 22 2007,10:47)
(GoldenChild @ Feb. 21 2007,20:37) Your Size and Maturity level should help you decide if you ready cause your skills will grow with time(if you know how to ride the slightest).Stay away from folks in the beginning and hone your skills,ride to your comfort level not what you see others doing.My first bike was a 1000 and I think it taught me to be humble because I KNEW WHAT IT COULD DO TO ME...Think ahead when you ride,and relax and you will be fine...How Tall are you?Weight?
I am 6'2 215ilb, I think I am mature enough to respect the bike, don't plan to go out there and start racing. But to get out there and just ride. I figured if I got the bike and just ride it around for weekends for a while I can get use to a big bike.
Okay, Not going to read the rest of the post. Had a KZ650 in 78-80. Bought '06 Busa 6 months ago after 26 year break. Had to get use to it. Lots of power and torque, weight was an issue also. Very easy to drop. If you get it be careful, keep it below 4K the first 600 miles, when you start exceeding 4K you start releasing the monster.

above all...busa will be twices faster than your thoughts, you body reactions, and your eye sight(I'm talking about your experience...) now whats going to happened next? you tell me...
will you let anyone to drive a race car? who just got the drivers lisence?
rock.gif

Back