Should I buy...?

SteveKran

Registered
Hey guys, this is my first post. I'm a regular on many other forums from fishing and boating to diesel trucks and other motorcycle forums.

Let me tell you a little about my motorcycle experience before I let you know what I'm considering buying. I've been riding bikes for ten years (started on my dad's 1996 Harley Dyna Convertible). When I turned 18, and still in highschool, I bought my first bike. It was a 2001 Honda CBR 600 F4i. A group of friends got me into riding sharp corners, track days, and knee dragging. We were as smart as we could be at that time, wearing full leather suits, back protectors, kangaroo gauntlet gloves, racing boots.....basically everything required on a road course styled race track plus more. I had that bike for two years before wrecking it around a corner at Lake Wateree. Lake Wateree is a ride a few of us would go every other sunday and ride some of the curvy roads that wrap around the lake. One sunday, someone decided it would be a good idea to throw a small truckload of gravel in the road to "slow us down". Needless to say everyone on that ride wrecked, but no one was seriously hurt other than our pride. Thanks to wearing the proper gear, not one person had a scratch on them...our bikes were a different story. They were totaled and we somehow got our bikes to limp home. :please:

Next bike was a 2004 Yamaha R1. Beautiful bike with what seemed like unlimited power until I started getting comfortable with it. I had it for a little longer than a year and decided to sell it while it was in good condition (never been down/dropped). I sold it because I started getting into track days more and more and wanted to get another 600cc bike that was already set up for the track. I then bought a 2002 Honda CBR 600 F4i that had full race bodies, had been dyno tuned with a PCIII, full exhaust, penske triple clicker shock....it was even set up by thermosman. I did that for another year and was about to get my race license to give WERA a try and I decided college was a better decision so I finished college and sold that bike after a few minor wrecks on the track. I decided I'm done with the track riding and have gotten it out of my system. I'm wanting something more comfortable to just cruise around town on or ride to the beach and back. (I used to ride to the beach on my R1...3.5 hour ride).

I haven't owned a bike since 2007, but still ride plenty of friends bikes. I'm considering buying a 2006 Hayabusa LE. It has 1200 miles on it, never been dropped or downed. According to the owner (best friend's brother) he has put around $30k into the bike with chrome accessories including a 300 kit for the rear. It is stretched 9" and he has all the stock parts. He wants to sell it to me for $8500 including a trailer (typical lowes type utility trailer w/ wheel chock). I'm thinking the price he's asking is a little over the value of the bike if it was bone stock. Do you think all the accessories are worth that couple extra hundred bucks? I haven't seen it in person yet as he lives 15 hours away, but he said he'd be willing to meet me half way. I should get pictures tonight. All my other friends who have seen the bike say it's definately one of a kind and worth the money he's asking for it. :thumbsup:

So...what do yall think? :dunno:

And I'll go ahead and throw in the typical :worthless:

I am calling bs on the $8500 -300 kit- trailer- 1200 mile- no way
something is wrong even if this was the dead of winter.

Last edited:
Based only on what your saying sounds like a very good deal to me... Although, I don't really have any use for a stretched bike...

One word of caution - an '06 busa with 1200 miles is pratically new... Why hasn't the guy been riding it? Just curious. If he has other bikes and this is his garage trophy fine... But I have 5 k on my B King and its 9 months old. Is there a reason he can't or might not want to ride the bike?

Stolen maybe???

Last edited:
Thanks for the newb welcomes guys.

bUY A TRACK BIKE:welcome:

Read above...
"I decided I'm done with the track riding and have gotten it out of my system."

I am calling bs on the $8500 -300 kit- trailer- 1200 mile- no way
something is wrong even if this was the dead of winter.

I'm kind of interested just why he's selling it so cheap. He said originally he was going to list it on ebay starting at $12k until he heard I might be interested. He's the kind of person that will treat you like family if he's known you long enough. Plus, he's makin over $160k/year...the money isn't going to hurt him...

If it has what you say, its worth alot more than that! :welcome:

That's the only reason I was seriously considering buying it. I've rode stretched and lowered bikes and I didn't think I could see myself on one until recently.

Based only on what your saying sounds like a very good deal to me... Although, I don't really have any use for a stretched bike...

One word of caution - an '06 busa with 1200 miles is pratically new... Why hasn't the guy been riding it? Just curious. If he has other bikes and this is his garage trophy fine... But I have 5 k on my B King and its 9 months old. Is there a reason he can't or might not want to ride the bike?

Stolen maybe???

The guy is a slave to his job....he's had the bike since it was brand new and keeps it covered in his garage. I saw it when he first got it, but haven't seen it since he 'pimped' it out. He's tired of it and has been wanting a Harley for the last year or so. He says he cranks it every now and then just to keep the "juices flowin".

Last edited:
if it's the real deal your good to go if you like the stretch but that will affect cornering some remember that . Otherwise if it is all legit and your ready for her buy it man and welcome to the org. :welcome:

if it's the real deal your good to go if you like the stretch but that will affect cornering some remember that . Otherwise if it is all legit and your ready for her buy it man and welcome to the org. :welcome:

I'm kind of still sitting on the fence about the bike being stretched. I'm going to ride it and then decide what to do with it. Not sure how I'm going to like cleaning ALL that chrome either...

good rule of thumb is if you don't like the set up buy a stock bike and mod it the way you want otherwise you end up tearing off the stuff you don't like and dealing with other peoples installs and spending money anyway. You can always get a great deal on a low mileage 05 or 06 busa and use the extra cash to do what you want to it. mileage isn't really a factor depending on how the bike was maintained.

If its what he says it is.

Buy it

Hell of a deal.

Check out pricing on a 300 kit alone.

Ohhhhhhhhh and WELCOME

Last edited:
:welcome: to the org bro. Thank you for sharing your riding experience.

My $0.02 is....you have some track background. Personally I think you will be disappointed w/ a stretched....anything.

Hope to see you here on the boards :hello:

good rule of thumb is if you don't like the set up buy a stock bike and mod it the way you want otherwise you end up tearing off the stuff you don't like and dealing with other peoples installs and spending money anyway. You can always get a great deal on a low mileage 05 or 06 busa and use the extra cash to do what you want to it. mileage isn't really a factor depending on how the bike was maintained.

He said he's got all the stock parts for the bike still. It would be an easy swap and I could sell the chrome parts here on the ORG or on ebay. He said all the chrome parts have the Hayabusa logo engraved in them. I'm sure they'd sell

:welcome: to the org bro. Thank you for sharing your riding experience.

My $0.02 is....you have some track background. Personally I think you will be disappointed w/ a stretched....anything.

Hope to see you here on the boards :hello:

I really think I'm over the whole track thing. What I want now is something that is comfortable to pimp around town or ride for a few hundred miles if I choose to. I like riding long distance which is primarily the reason for my interest in a busa. I hear they are comfortable as hell compared to a straight up sport bike. Isn't a busa classified as a sport/touring anyway? It doesn't have a corbin seat...so that'll prob be one of the few mods I make to it. He said it has a silver gel seat...not sure how comfortable that'll be.

I was contemplating buying a harley....but if I do that, I want a full dresser with all the bells and whistles. I might buy this, pay it off, and then get a harley so I can have best of both worlds... :beerchug:

Last edited:
Another thing I'll probably change are the mirrors. I'm guessing he took the stock ones off and put blocks in their place. One thing I have to have on a motorcycle is a good set of mirrors...I like to know what's around me and coming up behind me.

It's hard to see bluelights behind you without a good mirror:laugh:

I'm with Tukeuon on this one. With all your track experience you'll want to hit the twisties again eventually. I know you said you were over it but I have a feeling that won't last very long once you get back on a bike. With a stretched busa and a 300 rear tire you wouldn't be able to hit the twisties as hard as you could on a stock busa.

Then again if you're trying to keep yourself out of the twisties for some reason then going with a stretched fat tire busa would be the way to go. :beerchug:

Edit:

I just saw your other post about long distance riding and wanting a Harley. I sold my first busa because I was doing mostly long distance riding with my family and bought a Harley Street Glide and as far as comfort goes the two bikes won't compare. I have a Gen II busa now and can do 400 - 500 mile days (I'm 29 BTW) but on the Street Glide I could do 600 - 700 mile days with only stopping for gas.

Last edited:
IMO strech really don't affect cornering as much as lowered does. As a rider with sportbikes and a harley I have to say for interstate riding I prefer my busa to my superglide, smoother, not as loud, softer ride, can actually see thing in the mirror, etc...

I'm with Tukeuon on this one. With all your track experience you'll want to hit the twisties again eventually. I know you said you were over it but I have a feeling that won't last very long once you get back on a bike. With a stretched busa and a 300 rear tire you wouldn't be able to hit the twisties as hard as you could on a stock busa.

Then again if you're trying to keep yourself out of the twisties for some reason then going with a stretched fat tire busa would be the way to go. :beerchug:

Edit:

I just saw your other post about long distance riding and wanting a Harley. I sold my first busa because I was doing mostly long distance riding with my family and bought a Harley Street Glide and as far as comfort goes the two bikes won't compare. I have a Gen II busa now and can do 400 - 500 mile days (I'm 29 BTW) but on the Street Glide I could do 600 - 700 mile days with only stopping for gas.

Personally, I don't think a busa would be very good in the twisties. Sure you might be able to drag a knee, but if you get into a chicane with that monster, it might not be pretty. I remember riding with a busa at Carolina Motorsports Park in Kershaw, SC. We were both in the intermediate class and I would smoke him in all the turns...passing on the outside and everything! He'd catch up if there was a straightaway, but then I'd pass him on the outside of the next turn. If I ever get the itch for corners, I can just always buy another bike more suited for that style of riding. This busa will also be more comfortable for my girlfriend to ride...more than an R1.

I'm only 24 and 400-500 miles in a day is plenty for me. That's like riding from Columbia, SC to Orlando, FL. I'm really looking for a bike that looks like a sportbike, but has plenty of power, and is more comfortable than your typical sportbike. I think I'm getting all that with a busa. Don't you?

Personally, I don't think a busa would be very good in the twisties. Sure you might be able to drag a knee, but if you get into a chicane with that monster, it might not be pretty. I remember riding with a busa at Carolina Motorsports Park in Kershaw, SC. We were both in the intermediate class and I would smoke him in all the turns...passing on the outside and everything! He'd catch up if there was a straightaway, but then I'd pass him on the outside of the next turn. If I ever get the itch for corners, I can just always buy another bike more suited for that style of riding. This busa will also be more comfortable for my girlfriend to ride...more than an R1.

I'm only 24 and 400-500 miles in a day is plenty for me. That's like riding from Columbia, SC to Orlando, FL. I'm really looking for a bike that looks like a sportbike, but has plenty of power, and is more comfortable than your typical sportbike. I think I'm getting all that with a busa. Don't you?
Yes yes you are.

Back