Should I buy a Busa?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tervlover

Registered
I'm assuming that most everyone on this site has a Busa or can appreciate them. I'm considering purchasing a Busa. I have some people who are trying to talk me out of a Busa. 80% of my riding buddies who know me and my skill level are in support of me buying the Busa. 10% don't like the bike because of what it is. (I don't know what that means.) 10% think I'm going to kill myself because of the body positioning. (I have a neck injury from diving.) I have 50,000 miles of time in the saddle.

I'm a conservative rider. I do like to cut loose at times. I have had track day instruction 5 times. I ride 5 days a week unless it is icy and have never wrecked a bike. A day ride is at least 250 miles although several times I have done 1000+ weekend trips. I commute to and from work, but when I pleasure ride I try to stick to mostly back roads.

So, tell me. What are the pros and cons of the Busa? Many bikes have certain quirks that steer people away from them. What are those quirks? Are there any obvious pitfalls that the Busa has? Currently, I have a Busa in my garage that I have been riding for the last 2 days. I'm very tempted to buy it, but would like to hear from you. What about insuring a Busa?

What other bikes are in the same playing field? I've been told to look at the Blackbird, TL 1000 and BMW R1200ST.

Thanks for your input!

I have a cervial spine injury (herniated discs between C5/C6 and C6/C7. I logged in almost 12,000 miles last year with no issues.

Don

Bad things:
1. Insurance can be high
2. power can get you in trouble (can be good thing too though)
3. Goes through rear tires a little faster than some bikes
4. has some quirks like inaccurate speedometer, vibration over 4,000 rpms, more wind in the face if you sit up than some bikes

From what you wrote I would say the good things would be for you:
1. with your neck problems, it is alot more comfortable to ride
2. long distance rides are alot more pleasant on a Busa than most sports bikes
3. If you are a conservative rider, you will enjoy the Busa. It gives you the opportunity to commute but still have fun when you want to. It is a kitten until you twist the right wrist than the tiger comes out quick. Closest you can get to a tour bike and still have the performance.

4. easier to ride if you are a larger guy

There are alot more positive things I can say about the Busa. It comes down to a personal choice though. The Busa fits me all around. More positives than negatives for me. If you have already ridin one than you know if it feels right for you. From the sound of it, it sounds like you would enjoy the Busa. I have never ridin the BMW but have been on a Blackbird and TL. The TL is to light and feels to much like a toy to me. It is not as comfortable for long rides. It would be fun on a track day. The Blackbird is a cool bike. I like my Busa more. It is a nice bike to ride and feels good on long rides but not as much fun as the Busa when you hav an urge for some neck ripping acceleration.

Thanks for the information. I did go ahead and buy the Busa. I have logged several hundred miles in the last couple of days and one of the riders on this site has ordered risers for the bike. This site has a lot of awesome people on it!

My neck is extremely tight and stiff after riding tonight so hopefully the risers and good drugs will help. It's a shame that after 1 hour I'm feeling the pain. I rode 1600 miles on my Katana last weekend and it was only a bit stiff after hours of riding every day. I hope I made the right choice with the Busa.

(USN05LE @ May 07 2007,08:00) I have a cervial spine injury (herniated discs between C5/C6 and C6/C7. I logged in almost 12,000 miles last year with no issues.

Don
My back is totally fine. It's the neck with the raised head position. I did notice that at higher speeds the wind seems to hold my head up. Any suggestions?

(Tervlover @ May 08 2007,23:51)
(USN05LE @ May 07 2007,08:00) I have a cervial spine injury (herniated discs between C5/C6 and C6/C7.  I logged in almost 12,000 miles last year with no issues.

Don
My back is totally fine.  It's the neck with the raised head position.  I did notice that at higher speeds the wind seems to hold my head up.  Any suggestions?
Aaaahhhh ride faster  tounge.gif

Vena

Use your legs  to grip the tank and your abdominal muscles to support your weight...this will
help to relieve some stress on your arms and shoulders  wink.gif

You get some risers to raise the grips up higher, that should help decrease the amount of tilt on your neck. beerchug.gif

Wow, we have a lot of back injury folks here, myself included wink.gif

I don't know if this is just me, but I lay across the tank when I ride.  It alleviates stress on my arms and shoulders...I don't have risers installed, but the bike has been lowered for my short legs LOL  Guys seem to do more for comfort than I've done, so you may find you need risers and a different wind shield to make the trips comfy...

I'd say go for it...conservative is great, especially when you're getting used to the Busa.  You'll get more confident and really know what the bike can do over time, but you sound like you'll be an every day rider looking to come home at the end of the day, so no worries over you riding the bike...

As for what others think?  I heard everything from "you'll kill yourself on that bike" to "how can you sit like that for long rides?"  I'm sure we've all heard those types of comments and all I can say is that any bike can give an inexperienced rider trouble, it's not just a sport bike thing...and there are tons of things that can be done to make your Busa a comfortable touring bike if you choose...

I don't have risers installed, but the bike has been lowered for my short legs LOL

Exactly what did you do to lower the bike? I've heard it affects the performance of the bike? Are you finding that to be the case?

I've been getting a lot of crap from some of my riding buddies who are worried about me. I have 500 miles since last Saturday which included the first day of freeway, a slow organized side by side cruiser ride, a day of back country twisties and just riding to work and back. My goal is to continue to ride conservatively and not excite the tiger within the kitten. When I understand the bike I might be tempted to poke the tiger with a stick to see it's reaction. That's a loooooooooong way off in my riding career!

Thanks for all the advice and help.

Lowering will effect your ground clearance...if done properly it won't hurt the handling. You can change the seat to help with YOUR height issues tounge.gif

I would ride it more to get used to it, then try the seat change wink.gif

(dadofthree @ May 10 2007,22:25) You'll be fine. Is this your first Busa? I noted 120 post in the past two years.  beerchug.gif
Her first Busa...she does ride a lot thou wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back