Shinko tires for 200mph

drizzit

Registered
Hi guys,

I got invited to participate in a high speed run. It is a 2.3 mile long airport runway.:cheerleader: My question is my bike is set up for drag racing and I have my Shinko U-softs on it. Are these okay to run those speeds with? Has any one used them? Also, what gearing do you recommend for a 2008. Motor is stock.

I've seen only a few people run a shinko at a LSR event. It's not the preferred tire for sure. I don't know what compound they were running so I don't know if the experiences would relate to your tire. Personaly I would go with a medium compound tire.

I wouldn't chance it. Most shinko's are only W rated (168mph). As commuta said the heat will be a lot more than a quick 1/4-mile blast. You don't want to chance a tire coming apart at 180+...

What is your setup and what do you weight...? Are you doing roll ons with other vehicles for a distance or 0-1 mile racing...? 18/41 is good for 206 but that's if you have the power to pull it. Are you basic bolt-on's or stock OEM stock...?

Z rating is suppose to be higher than 149mph+.

ZR at one time meant above 186mph but I think they have changed a few things since then. I think now it has to say ZR and in the description it has to have a Y but the Y might be for cars only (sorry can't remember off hand).

For instance 190/50ZR17 (10Y) on the sidewall for a speed rating in excess of 186+mph... :thumbsup:

If you aren't sure post up the type of tire (and specs) you are looking at and maybe someone will be able to help you better. I think the biggest problem is finding a manufacture that will certify them for high speeds. It sounds like a liability nightmare if one comes apart at 200+ so 186+ is probably only what the lawyers will allow....

Last edited:
DO NOT RUN A SOFT COMPOUND TIRE AT ANY LSR EVENT!!!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!

Picture401.jpg

Picture400.jpg

I wouldn't chance it. Most shinko's are only W rated (168mph). As commuta said the heat will be a lot more than a quick 1/4-mile blast. You don't want to chance a tire coming apart at 180+...

What is your setup and what do you weight...? Are you doing roll ons with other vehicles for a distance or 0-1 mile racing...? 18/41 is good for 206 but that's if you have the power to pull it. Are you basic bolt-on's or stock OEM stock...?

My bike is stock as in OEM, performance wise. Only thing I have done is remove the mufflers. I figured I would not waste the money since I am going turbo next year. Here is a picture from the track last weekend. We will be starting at a 30mph roll. I weigh 235lbs.

2nd time out.jpg

Absolutely please do NOT use that tire for LSR!!! That tire has repeatedly shred on our one mile track. We haven't banned them but we strongly discourage their use. I 100% would not use that tire on a one mile track let alone 2.3. Regardless of it being a stock bike it's the speed & heat.

On your bike I'd just go with the stock tire. It works great for LSR on a stock or slightly enhanced HP bike.
Debbie

My bike is stock as in OEM, performance wise. Only thing I have done is remove the mufflers. I figured I would not waste the money since I am going turbo next year. Here is a picture from the track last weekend. We will be starting at a 30mph roll. I weigh 235lbs.

In that case, I would just run it like it is in the pics. You should be okay but being our size (I'm 220) you might have a 1k close until you get 180ish if you are unrestricted...

Otherwise, it's probably going to come down to who get's the jump unless others are heavily modded...

But at that slow of a roll speed if you can keep it down you should be able to cover a lot. Most of the big HP vehicles that will take a BUSA down on the big end won't be able to hook up at 30mph. From a 60+ run you will have trouble with 850rwhp+ cars but it will be fun. Even the 1k's have trouble keeping the front down from that slow of a speed. If you can roll the throttle on fast and smooth you should do okay... :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I remember reading that when a tire is given a speed rating it is also based on a certain time frame at that speed as well. Can someone fill in the blanks????

I blistered one at Maxton going 212 last year...started cracking on the left and right of the middle line, alomost like it was stretching. Shinko said it never happened before, when I asked if they had been 212 MPH before I was told no, no tire is built for that. Well we know there are a couple that work good. Michelin Power One and Avon Viper Extreme, have both been 215 with no issues. :bowdown: I also like nitrogen in my tires, some guys do, some don't. I think they use it in NASCAR...I hope that helps...If you look through my pictures on the link below, there is a picture somewhere.

Last edited:
a z rated tire is lower then a w...w is the highest rating you can get...its not in the tire size description your looking its down where the 58W is on the tire 58 is the load index rating and w is the speed rating the z in the tire size/description just means it is rated above 149 but the other 58W is the actual rating a y would be a higher rating but I have'nt seen a motorcycle tire with this rating yet...ratings are in next post

basictireinfo.gif

loadindexrat.gif

speedratings.gif

Last edited:
all are in mph
J62
K68
L75
M81
N87
P93
Q99
R106
S112
T118
U124
H130
V149
W168
Y186

Last edited:
a z rated tire is lower then a w...w is the highest rating you can get...its not in the tire size description your looking its down where the 58W is on the tire 58 is the load index rating and w is the speed rating the z in the tire size/description just means it is rated above 149 but the other 58W is the actual rating a y would be a higher rating but I have'nt seen a motorcycle tire with this rating yet...ratings are in next post

Has this changed recently...?

Just wondering because everything I have shows the speed index as what you are saying but shows the speed rating (i.e. Z) as higher than W. That's where I wasn't sure because of the Y rating I was referencing earlier... ;)

Last edited:
Okay, so I got a Dunlop qualifer 190/55 from a friend of mine for free:cheerleader:. My next question is do I have to replace the front tire. I have a shinko u soft in the front.

Back