Rear tire?

riggsracin

Registered
What would be the best rear tire for me?
05 busa street and drag strip riding. no streach. mostly stock. my last tires were shinko u soft. but its kinda heavy. last was pr3 michelin soft race. good tire. wanting a light tire that will last a little and still hook good.

I run the U soft, but I am not much of a corner carver. It worked well when I was at the gap, and when in the rain, and also 2 up with my wife. Bang for the buck, I cannot beat it, esp as much as I am at the track!:beerchug:

No, I haven't. I went from the stocker to a Shinko 003, then the U-soft, and for $125 to $135, have no reason to try anything else. I might try the new Shinko Hook they have come out with if my new combo doesn't hook as well as it needs to

come on man, quit
pool-break.jpg

Seriously? This again? You might wanna add that you did this with WHEELIE BARS, kinda makes a difference.....:whistle:

I might also want 2 add that I won close 2 grand last year+you won nothing

Look just 2 be clear I want nothing do with you +THE OTHER BOY didnt the mods ask you both stop harassing me? Man whats your problem? Find somebody else to hate on will ya?

Last edited:
As long as you continue to put incomplete and misleading information on the board where people who don't realize how you are might believe it, I will continue to call you out on it. I have left alone all your fantasy nonsense threads about how much money you won and what you are going to do and all your pictures of other peoples bikes, as I was asked to after you cried to management.
However when you are attempting to influence a fellow member's decision by purposely leaving out relevant information, I will bring it up every time. It's pretty pathetic to try and make yourself look better my misleading fellow members........

Last edited:
next thing you know you'll be considered "a hater" when your intentions are really to help others. :welcome:

back on topic, there are many many successfull guys using the power one tire.

As long as you continue to put incomplete and misleading information on the board where people who don't realize how you are might believe it, I will continue to call you out on it. I have left alone all your fantasy nonsense threads about how much money you won and what you are going to do and all your pictures of other peoples bikes, as I was asked to after you cried to management.
However when you are attempting to influence a fellow member's decision by purposely leaving out relevant information, I will bring it up every time. It's pretty pathetic to try and make yourself look better my misleading fellow members........

Last edited:
next thing you know you'll be considered "a hater" when your intentions are really to help others. :welcome:

back on topic, there are many many successfull guys using the power one tire.
I'm already considered that by billy, and I'm sure some others....
Meanwhile, back on the ranch.....:lol:
I considered the Power One for this year, but I think I'm gonna try the new Shinko Hook also. My bike sees very little sreet time, and virtually no twisties....

Only on the internet can a guy who admitts he didnt win a race last year be the expert.:rofl: I NEVER WON NOTHING BUT i know everything.The tire I POSTED GIVES THE MOST TRACTION.The shinkos are most peoples choice 4 good hooking street tire but if you like hang corners no good it will come out from under you.And they wear out kinda fast.This is a shinko it heats up fast

http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm70/frightnight_02/?action=view&current=MVI_5447.flv

Last edited:
That slick seems like it would be pretty hairy on the roads esp if wet. That what this was about a street strip tire.

Seems like there are three,

The michelin power one

The stealth in its diff compounds

And the mickey thompson

Anyone ran all three and can put up some bullet points about them? I gotta get me a street strip tire as well this season. Would like something I can trust if hit some rain on a highway ride.
Posted via Mobile Device

Matt, the 003 isn't as good as the 003 U-soft, they last about the same and the U-soft hooks much better. Neither are very good in the twisties. Both are worthless in the rain.
The mickey is a great track tire, but will not last long on the street.
The Michellin Pilot seems about comparable with the mickey as far as hooking, and is lighter and wears better on the street.
For your situation I would suggest the Pilot.:beerchug:

That's what I'm thinking too. That dimple tread of the shinko looks kinda scary lol. I've heard the mickey wears out kinda fast too.
Posted via Mobile Device

This year is going to be interesting because both Michelin and Shinko have a brand new tire that claims to have breakthroughs in weight, stick, and wear.

The Mickey MCR2 used to be the best for stick, but was only good for 25 to 45 passes. Its expensive when each pass costs $5 in tires, but this is the tire I have the most experience with so I stuck with the good and the bad.

The Michelin Power One was last years choice for many AMA racers due to similar stick, with twice the # of passes as the Mickey.

The New Michelin Power Pure is brand new and supposed to be even lighter than the power one, with the same stick and wear as the Power One, but nobody I know has run one yet.

The New Shinko Drag tire is also supposed to be much lighter than the old ultrasoft. Shinko's have always had great wear, but are 2 pounds heavier than Mickey's.​

Oh, and when I say wear, I'm talking about usable passes. I have personally had an MCR2 give me a 1.38 short time, and only 10 passes later never go faster than a 1.45. When they go, they go all the way. I have also had old Shinko ultrasofts with no tread left at all, and probably 200 passes give a perfectly good pass after sitting in the garage all winter.

I certainly don't know the answer to the best tire, because the Pilot Pure and the Shinko Drag are brand new. Perhaps Ryan or Brock or ??? can chime in on what they see at the AMA opener? I'm holding off choosing until the last minute.

Last edited:
Back