Shinko Hook Up Or Hook Up Pro...?

Popie

Registered
I asked this question in (General Bike Related Topics) earlier. Maybe this is a better place for it...
Is anyone running either of these tires on a bike they ride on the street and take to the drag strip? Wondering what kind of life span they have if used as a street tire as well. I'm running an Ultra Soft now. It's OK. But lights up pretty easy. I want to go to something a little softer. I'm going thru a couple Ultra Soft every Summer. Wonder how much faster the Hook Up's will wear with street use?

I can't speak to street miles but can tell you my experience with the Pro at the track wasn't good. It was in the early days of the Pro so maybe the issues are resolved now. My problem was the rubber was peeling. Some would say it was from overheating in the burnout, but if the tire is that sensitive it's the wrong tire for me. Shinko gave me a regular Hookup to replace it.

I can't speak to street miles but can tell you my experience with the Pro at the track wasn't good. It was in the early days of the Pro so maybe the issues are resolved now. My problem was the rubber was peeling. Some would say it was from overheating in the burnout, but if the tire is that sensitive it's the wrong tire for me. Shinko gave me a regular Hookup to replace it.
Thanks for the info. I was thinking about the regular hook up. From what I read the Pro was designed with high horse power bikes in mind. My Gixxer is buffed up a little. No issues there. Slick and wheelie bar on it. My Busa motor is stock. But still the Ultra Soft breaks loose to easy. Maybe the regular Hook Up would be the way to go.

The hook up pro is supposed to be fixed. A buddy of mine runs one and hasn’t peeled or chunked yet. I don’t think the hook up pro would do good on the street. I run a regular hook up and it does great on the track and on the street. If you can’t get your bike to hook up on the street you might need to make adjustments to the bike. It might not be the tire..... to much gearing, to long of a swing arm, shock to stiff, bad tire pressure and to much power.

The hook up pro is supposed to be fixed. A buddy of mine runs one and hasn’t peeled or chunked yet. I don’t think the hook up pro would do good on the street. I run a regular hook up and it does great on the track and on the street. If you can’t get your bike to hook up on the street you might need to make adjustments to the bike. It might not be the tire..... to much gearing, to long of a swing arm, shock to stiff, bad tire pressure and to much power.
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like the regular Hook Up is the way I should go. My concern was more at the strip. Just wanted to know I'd get some life out of it for street use too. I run about 9 psi in the Ultra Soft at the strip. It's OK but lights up pretty easy if you're a little to quick bringing the power on. Not much done to the bike. One tooth down on the front. Brock's clutch mod. 8" stretch. Flashed with an air shfter. Stock motor.

The regular hook up can go pretty far. They can go 4.9x in the 1/8. So if it hooking the track sucks and you set up is not set up right.

with my bike it hooks up fine at local track on regular days. But if I go during a sport compact day it’s spin fest. So I don’t even go anymore.

The regular hook up can go pretty far. They can go 4.9x in the 1/8. So if it hooking the track sucks and you set up is not set up right.

with my bike it hooks up fine at local track on regular days. But if I go during a sport compact day it’s spin fest. So I don’t even go anymore.
I may have some tweaking to do in the setup. I'll switch the Ultra Soft for a Hook Up and see what that does first. I appreciate the help, thanks...

Thoroughly tested on street raw road. No significant improvements with pro, appears to be wearing faster. 5.94 1/8th@124 with a 1.58 60', 60" chassis, stock shock. Any attempt to get the lever out faster than that is spinfest

Thoroughly tested on street raw road. No significant improvements with pro, appears to be wearing faster. 5.94 1/8th@124 with a 1.58 60', 60" chassis, stock shock. Any attempt to get the lever out faster than that is spinfest
Since I asked the same question here I have had some time at the track. Went from the Ultra Soft to the Hookup on both my Gixxer and Buse. Works well on both. Better on the Gixxer. After talking to a few people. And a little reading. I decided the Hookup was all I needed. The Pro is designed for much higher horse power bikes then mine. I'm just under 210hp with the Busa. About 195 with the Gixxer. If I get a good launch and make it thru 1st clean I'm good. From there on out I want the tire to stand up a little. The Hookup Pro will stay flatter and give you more contact surface all the way thru the pass

New tire that’s out is the dragmax and that’s suppose to be awesome. A couple local guys run them here. They seem to work ok on the street but I haven’t seen them at the local track. Maybe this fall I will see them.

Back