Sharing For Long-time Member Wag, News Regarding His Wife Nanette

Wag and Nan , My prayers are with you both . Keep your spirits up and May God Bless you during these trying times .

Time for a much needed update:

When I first heard from the nurse last week, the consensus between the doctors and the medical staff at the ICU, they felt that her time was very short. They don't give predictions but the implication was that it was imminent.

Since then, however, she's come home for in-home hospice but she seems to be doing a lot better. There hasn't been any testing from the hospital, per se, but she's showing none of the signs of a continual internal bleed. Which is to say that the doctors had no way to stop the bleeding but perhaps Nature has done its thing, as it has before.

We need to do more testing with her, of course. If she's going to get past this one, there is still the cancer to deal with but if that bleeding has stopped, she's got a lot to look forward to.

Thanks for all of your positive thinking. It matters to us.

--Wag--

Quick update: The wiff continues to improve. Progress is a bit slower now, relatively speaking, however, it looks to me like she's back up and running, for the most part. Hospice is still taking care of her and I've taken a boatload of FMLA days to care for her. Nevertheless, she seems to be doing very very well, compared to two weeks ago when I was watching her practically bleed out. Whew!

This is a huge relief.

I think, for the most part, it's her attitude that made the biggest difference. It's made a huge difference for her entire life and over and over again, she's proven the doctors wrong. I should know by now, to just tell the doctors that they just need to wait and see. (What's interesting is that the doctors never want to rush her back in to see where they may have gone wrong.)

We've been married for 27 years. I give us both a lot of credit for that. Words can't explain that kind of relationship.

--Wag--

Man i don't even know what to say! Prayers sent, sounds like the fight is not yet over. She wants to spend more time with you!

Remaining cautiously optimistic! Continued thoughts and prayers going out to you both!

Being at home and away from situations and those that, quite honestly don't really know what else to tell someone (no offense to docs because I have a slew of my own I lean on, don't we all?) - it just means a lot for your entire spirit!

I think of Nan and you Wag, every day. I hope to keep getting these updates and see that she proves the docs wrong again. I can't imagine what this roller coaster has really been like for you both, but I know enough of you as a couple to know you embrace what you have and love each other dearly. You're so awesome for each other, I'm certain her strength comes from you and yours from her. Just keep doing what you're both doing and keep us posted when you can.

Still doing well. Not something I'll understand any time soon but I'm not complaining. I'm still cautiously optimistic and that optimism grows nearly every day. As usual, hoping for the best!

Thank you, everyone, for all of your kinds thoughts and words.

--Wag--

I wanted to bump this thread today. I saw this update from Wag last night on Facebook and I hope he doesn't mind that I'm sharing it here. I lurk over on his wall every few days to keep up with news of Nan, and recently he'd posted up something good, something that truly made me smile. Nan was visiting with a horse, and I know even though I've never met her, she loves horses. The photos Wag shared were so touching, my only reply was that "This is everything" because in those moments, for someone in the place she is in, it is. Anything to lift her up, to bring her a smile...she also celebrated her birthday recently, and so many that care so much about her sent the best of wishes from all over.

We've all likely had experience with watching someone we love struggle with a terminal illness, so if you have, you know. If you haven't, I can tell you from first hand experience you mark every moment with "This might be the last ___" and it's beyond hard to fathom what that truly means until you're going through it. I have a feeling Wag may be someone like I was when I watched my Dad, and it wasn't so much about all of my last moments with him, but what it must have been like for him knowing this may be his last birthday, last time seeing that dear friend or wearing a favorite shirt, hearing a favorite song, watching a favorite movie, or that last time seeing the sun rise or set. I feel for you Wag, always have, and haven't reached out enough directly, regrettably I fear, because I know when I was going through this, I wanted to focus on the person I was caring for and doing my best to cling to my sanity at the same time. I know there's nothing anyone can say to make this any better. You're not alone in what you're going through, know that. <3

With that, for those that know Wag here, I wanted to share this and just ask that we send them both all of our best, please...Wag posted this yesterday.

"I've been trying to find a way to let everyone know. The words are difficult in coming.

Last week, Nanette's oncologist let me know that she is showing the symptoms of the final stages of liver failure. In her estimation, she felt Nanette only had a "few days" remaining. Then she thought about it for a moment and said that we just never know with Nanette but with anyone else, there would only be a few days left.

I let the doctor know that Nanette had already been showing these symptoms for a several days.

To back up, about three weeks ago, Nanette took a sudden downturn. At that time, we determined that one of her meds hadn't been taken care of correctly so we fixed that problem and hoped that she would "recover" such as it is. After several days, it became clear that she was not going to regain her mental capacity. She has been operating with limited mental faculties ever since. We no longer feel that the meds are the cause of these problems.

I've lost her already. Her mind has gone and I fear she and I cannot have any further true dialogue. As of now, it's sufficient to me to make sure she is comfortable. She recognizes me and we can smile at each other knowingly. More and more, she sleeps without interruption for longer stretches. All I can do is watch over her.

We have seen Nanette surprise doctors so many times in the past that it's worthwhile to hope. Nevertheless, what I'm seeing with her is consistent with what the doctors have told me to expect.

My heart is broken. I can't write further."

This is heartbreaking to read. It brings back so many memories about what I went through with my dad.! May the lord give wag strength to push through this and may the Lord give Nan peace and comfort.

Sorry to hear of the struggles you and your wife have been facing. Stay strong and continue to have the strength needed to get through this.

Back