Settled on digicam... Canon G5

BulletTrain

Call me Daddy...
Donating Member
Registered
Some of you know that I've been in search of a bit more serious camera than the S500 I had. I've been through the Canon S1 (crap lens) and the Canon Pro 1 (not pure crap lens, but not a $1000 lens either...) trying to find a good digicam with a long zoom range. I haven't tried the Nikon, or Minolta long zoom versions so I can't say either way on them butthe fact is that as far as Canon goes, the long zoom digicams just ain't happenin'.

The consumer model (S1) maintains it's price point by skimpin' on the lens. The Pro 1 performs well except for the fact that the lens isn't as well designed as it should be at it's price point. It honestly gave me the impression that Canon wanted to be first to market with an 8 megapixel long zoom prosumer camera and they cut corners to meet that goal.

After a lot of thought I was almost convinced that I would try the Olypmus C-8080 Wide Zoom. It didn't have the zoom range I wanted but according to the reviews and sample images it was the best of the 8 megapixel prosumer grade digicams available right now. The thing is, it costs danged near $1000. For not much more I could buy a digital SLR to use with my Canon lenses and get even better images. Couldn't bring myself to do it.

Once the Oly C-8080 was ruled out as an option I turned to the 5-6 megapixel digicam choices. After checkin' out all the review sites and the sample images available on the net I decided that the G5 was the one I should go with. I honestly think the G series is the best in it's class. It offers TONS of camera and image control for when you need it. It also does a great job as a point and shoot when you use it that way. It is definitely larger and a little less convenient to carry compared to the S500 but the image quality and level of control it offers above and beyond what the S500 gives you is well worth the trade off in size.

After gettin' all the settings to my likings and takin' several "getting to know you" images with the G5 I'm definitely happy I made this move. If you're lookin' for a higher end consumer grade digicam in the $500-$600 range I HIGHLY recommend the G5. It is one heck of a camera. The G5 carries on the Canon tradition of ruling the digicam market in my opinion, just like the S500, the 10D, and the EOS 1D series. THIS is a CANON CAMERA!
super.gif

Anyway, enough rantin' about it. Here's a few junk shots I took with it while gettin' used to the G-Series controls again. It is basically identical to the G3 I had before, only it's black and has a few new options. It was like seein' an old friend after a long time apart.
biggrin.gif

Again, the photos are junk shots. Not taken for any particular purpose other than to evaluate the performance of the G5.
wink.gif

First, my new, one of a kind, custom machined 1" busa lowering dog bones...

IMG_0311.jpg

A beautiful "CANON" blue sky (Only Canon can render the sky this vividly while bein' accurate!
wink.gif
) with a gorgeous cloud floatin' in it...

IMG_0316.jpg

Junk shot of the flood light on my house. Notice absolutely NO purple fringing where the white edge of the siding is! NONE of the new 8 megapixel cameras have this little chromatic aberation (techie term for the purple fringing around white highlights). The sensor makers used the same (small) sensors and made the pixel sites smaller to fit more on the sensor. This makes the more succeptable to CA. Read ANY 8 megapixel consumer/prosumer grade digicam review and they say the same thing I'm tellin' ya here. The good 5-6 megapixel digicams outperform the new 8 mp cams in this respect.
wink.gif

IMG_0318.jpg

Looin good BT. Glad the shop is up. Man that thing just flew into the sky!

Congrats on the new camera.

Ok, so there you have it. I'm happy as can be with my choice in cameras now. Yeah, I wish it had more zoom, but I REFUSE to sacrifice image quality for zoom range. Especially in the case of the $1000 prosumer models. I'll zoom with my feet or just not get the long shots before I do that.
wink.gif

I'll post more pics as I get keepers of actual subjects. Can't wait to do the fork swap with Rev and do the photo essay on it now!
biggrin.gif

For what reason (if you don't mind me askin) are you swappin forks?
I hate gold accents on my rides... The older forks are silver/metal finished which look MUCH better in my opinion. Rev wants the gold forks with the black bottoms. It's a win-win situation for us both. I get rid of the gold and get what I want and he gets the black that he wants.
wink.gif

Congrats on making that decision and buying your next cam. Now I can really get some tips from you when I come through as I have the same model, but don't have a clue how to use it to its full potential.

Modesty ... alright man ... but you can't hide from your genius. I'd believe you and your practical experience over any other 'so-called' professional reviews.

Glad you made the decision, BT!  Like Sage, I will be taking advantage of that knowledge.  I can't wait to get back and take some good pics without worrying about the security risk.  That's why I haven't posted many from over here.  However, if you look at my thread <a href="https://www.hayabusa.org/cgi-bin/busa/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=12;t=13461"> First Post From a New Location <a> you will see some of what I have been able to take with the G5.

<!--EDIT|BigBSBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1091263890 -->

On another topic, did the middle hole on those dogbones from The RotorWoman give you 1-1/2" drop? I ask because it looks like the length and hold lineup of those and your new ones are very close to identical. I am finalizing the list of mods to Baby J and think she's gonna look sweet when complete!

Looking good, BT! That was my first choice, but it wouldn't fit in my pocket, so I went with the S500 which has been treating me VERY NCELY indeedy

balloons.JPG

Cool Bullet... Good Camera... "Settled" I like that... Funny guy.

We'll I went to get a pitbull front stand today but of course the local stores have nothing I need. Same old crap and not a single front stand. So I'm going to order me one so I can get started myself.

Later Bro and congratulations... Nice to see you can actually make a decision eventually.
wink.gif

On another topic, did the middle hole on those dogbones from The RotorWoman give you 1-1/2" drop?  I ask because it looks like the length and hold lineup of those and your new ones are very close to identical.  I am finalizing the list of mods to Baby J and think she's gonna look sweet when complete!
It actually seemed like the dog bones gave a little more than 1.5". This set of 1" bones is a prototype set. Gotta try them out and see exactly how much drop they give. Then my machinist will go from there and make necessary adjustments to get 1". The angle of that pic makes it look like less of a difference than it actually is though.
wink.gif

Back