Need Help With Camera Purchase

Dakkine2

Donating Member
Registered
So my one year old Konica Minolta Z6 took a crap on me 7 days out of warranty. Have an extended warranty through Circuit City but they won't touch it. That's all besides the point.

I'm looking into another super zoom camera but I'm torn between Canon and Panasonic. Both cameras will do more than I'll probably ever need. I just want something reliable that will take a great photo. Both are 6.0 megapixels and both have a 12x optical zoom.

Here's a picture and a link to the tech specs on both:

Canon Powershot S3 IS
s3is_586x225.jpg

Canon Website

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ7S
FZ7-s-slant_500.jpg

DMC-FZ7S_Rear.jpg

Panasonic Website

Both camera's have great reviews. I'm slightly more inclined to buy the Lumix but would like to hear some opinions, brand or camera specific. I can get the Panasonic for almost $100 cheaper then the Canon. But if the Canon is the better camera, so be it.

I'd like to keep it under $400 or so. I can get the Panasonic for $305 right now. The Canon is $399.

Did you look at the Nikon CoolPix series..
I can't be much help because I am a Digital SLR man but standby for others on the board.

i went with this one because i was looking for it to be as small as possible while still giving as much quality as possible Canon A640 i love it as it fits in the inside pocket of my coat or rides equally well in bubble wrap and a ziploc bag under the hump...

whichever one you choose, make sure to check the price on www.newegg.com and use www.nextag.com to check the pricing of other brick and mortar retailers and for those on the web

Nikon.. nobody can beat their optics.    Most other cameras have more features for the buck.  Thats because Nikon spends the most on the glass, and your pictures show it.

Another big factor, atleast to me was size.  I used be dihard SLR (nikon of course)  But taking the camera was an effort and I realized the camera didn't work when I didn't have it.   I get 10x more pics with my pocket coolpix, just because its there when the pic happens.

heres a pic I took a few weeks ago with my coolpix - sorry no good busa pics yet
wolfeel.jpg

Can,t help here much either, I keep a Kodak 3.5 pix., under the hump all the time, not high tech, but does what I need it to, and if something happened to it, I,m not out much $, and then I have a sony 5.0 I use a lot also.

I bought my wife the cannon s3 IS. It is, according to consumer reports, the best camera in the high zoom (telephoto) class. Also, I purchased it from Buydig.com for 369.00 with free shipping. The wife and I love the camera.It does more than we will ever need and have not had any problems after 7 months of constant daily use.

I'd take the Canon S3 ($334 from Butterfly Photo). We have two S2s in the office and they are great cameras. Check out Nikon S10, I just ordered it today for our office, for $324 dellivered.

I have the Canon S2IS (previous edition). I like it. Still haven't had time to go over all of its' features. Here are some samples:

Sea World - Orlando (Action shot)

IMG_1377.JPG

Using the zoom of the coast of Florida on a cloudy, foggy day. Caught a cruise ship on the horizon (far, far away). This picture looks much better on my pc.

IMG_1671.JPG

Back