Tryin' out a Canon Pro 1

BulletTrain

Call me Daddy...
Donating Member
Registered
I don't know if I've told ya'll this already, but I sold my Canon D60 DSLR camera a while back and I've been saving toward another digital SLR camera to use with my Canon lenses. Here's the thing. The one I was saving for (Canon EOS 1D Mark II) costs around $4500. I've been thinking about that a lot lately and since I'm not doin' the kinds of photography I used to do, I really don't need that much camera anymore.

Since I sold the D60, the Canon S500 is my only digicam. As much as I love that camera it just doesn't offer enough control over the images for some types of photos that I enjoy doing occasionally. What I decided to do was upgrade to a digicam that offers the control I'm looking for as well as the ability to shoot in RAW format and use an external flash unit. I decided that goin' that route and puttin' the rest of my camera money toward other things right now would be best.

Today I went to Wolf Camera at the mall intending to buy a Canon Powershot G5. I had a G3 at one time and loved it. At that time though, if I took something that large or with that much control along I took my DSLR. Anyway, since the G5 is basically a G3 with another million pixels I figured it would be more than enough camera to last me a long time. Well, when I got to the camera store they had a Canon PowerShot Pro1 on the shelf. I start thinkin' to myself that it's only $300 more than the G5 and at $999 it's still a heck of a lot cheaper than a 1D. I look at the thing and fondle it for like 30 minutes before deciding to give it a try.

Fast forward to tryin' it out. It takes very detailed pictures but there are a couple things about it that I just don't think I can live with in a $1000 camera. First, the two left corners are darkened in most shots (vignetting). Second, on some shots both right corners are blury. Aside from these two flaws, it seems to be a great camera. I haven't done much more than take "test" shots of uninteresting subjects but these two problems keep poppin' up in 'em.

FWIW, though, it's a heck of a lot better than the Canon S1 I tried not long ago. The zoom is great. If not for the flaws in the corners I'd prolly end up bein' a very happy camper with this cam. Check out the detail and clarity of the lines in the sample pics.

I'm going to sleep on it and decide whether to take it back tomorrow to get the G5 and some cash back. For now I thought I'd post a few pics I shot with it. Notice the dark left corners in a few of them...

31078315.jpg

31078316.jpg

31078317.jpg

31078318.jpg

31078319.jpg

31078320.jpg

31078321.jpg

By the way, Im sellin' the S500 if anyone is interested. I'll take $350 shipped to your door in the continental US. Comes with everything it had when new plus the Body Glove neoprene belt clip case that I bought for it. Let me know if you're interested.

I dunno, bro...those look like some pretty kick azz shots to me. Then again, I'm just a noob, so maybe I can't appreciate the minute quality that should come with these type of cams.

I dunno, bro...those look like some pretty kick azz shots to me. Then again, I'm just a noob, so maybe I can't appreciate the minute quality that should come with these type of cams.
These shots would be smokin' shots from a $600 camera. I just ain't sure I'm willin' to pay $1000 for a camera that has simple flaws like this left in it.

FWIW, the lens is top notch. It's Canon's "L" glass, which is coveted among Canon SLR/DSLR shooters. Best of the best. I just can't understand why Canon would put together such a well equiped package and not work out flaws like softness at the frame edges and such. Most of the time the flaws of a camera or lens will only really show up in test shots like they do in the review sites but they are rarely noticed in real life every day shots. I can live with that. Just not sure I can live with flaws (again in such an expensive camera) that show up far too often in real world shots.
rock.gif

I hear you now....I don't think I would I want those flaws in a camera I spent that much on too.

rock.gif
I dunno BT... Don't settle man... and you don't sound nearly smitten enough for this new relationship of yours to work out... FWIW...

I'd vote for can it and try again...

Train,
Before you drop a g on that Canon. Give the Digital Rebel SLR a test run. I know less resolution, but you will get better control and sharpness out of your camera. The Pro 1 is an EVF cam, all EVF cams have a tremendous drop in image quality at the edges. Also, the CCD in those cams introduces significant digital noise at higher ISO settings. And to boot bro, the Rebel will take most Canon lenses.

J

Train,
Before you drop a g on that Canon.  Give the Digital Rebel SLR a test run.  I know less resolution, but you will get better control and sharpness out of your camera.  The Pro 1 is an EVF cam, all EVF cams have a tremendous drop in image quality at the edges.  Also, the CCD in those cams introduces significant digital noise at higher ISO settings.  And to boot bro, the Rebel will take most Canon lenses.

J
Yeah, I considered that option. In fact I handled one today before givin' the Pro1 a go. I haven't ruled it out 100%. The thing with goin' that route is that I'll be losin' the compactness and convenience. I know the image quality will be there but I'll be lockin' myself into totin' a DSLR and lenses when I ride.
drooling3.gif
I could do it but it'd be a pain sometimes...

rock.gif
I dunno BT...  Don't settle man...  and you don't sound nearly smitten enough for this new relationship of yours to work out...  FWIW...

I'd vote for can it and try again...
My thoughts exactly. I can usually tell pretty quickly if I like a cam or not. This one is so fuggin' close, but just not quite there for me. You're right. I should go with my gut and try another route. Maybe the Digital Rebel is the way to go...

I hear you now....I don't think I would I want those flaws in a camera I spent that much on too.
Yeah, if it had been $200-$300 less I would be jumpin' for joy.
wink.gif
Hey, at least the burgers I grilled were yummy!
super.gif
A victory is a victory, I say!!! Speakin of which, I have some patties at home that seem to be neglected...
wink.gif
What you waitin' for, man? Put fire to them sumbiches!
super.gif

wink.gif

super.gif

Yeah, if it had been $200-$300 less I would be jumpin' for joy.
wink.gif
Hey, at least the burgers I grilled were yummy!
super.gif
A victory is a victory, I say!!! Speakin of which, I have some patties at home that seem to be neglected...
wink.gif
What you waitin' for, man? Put fire to them sumbiches!
super.gif
I'd love to, bro! Only small problem is work. It's about 12pm right now. Speakin of which, WHAT THE HECK AM I DOING INTHE OFFICE FOR LUNCH??!?!?!? I should go for a ride or something! Oh yeah...I fergot: I don't have a bike.

AAARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!

wink.gif

super.gif

I'd love to, bro! Only small problem is work. It's about 12pm right now. Speakin of which, WHAT THE HECK AM I DOING INTHE OFFICE FOR LUNCH??!?!?!? I should go for a ride or something! Oh yeah...I fergot: I don't have a bike.

AAARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!
Ahhhh, I forgot the huge time difference between here and there.
wink.gif
Well, when you get home, light a fire.
biggrin.gif

Yeah and I am re-heating pizza....   Ah well...  

Tell you what though BT, I wouldn't loose the S500...    What I learned with my Minolta detour is that while all the features and options are cool...  They don't count for poop if you don't have your camera with you...  I got tired of dealing with the Bulk of the Minolta so straight to the S500 I went...  That way, at least I'll have a respectable camera with me when I want one...  

Also, remember to avoid the leathal bleeding edge of the technology, be patient...  I am sure you know of this site but just in case...  Do a google on digital comparometer

Train,
I have a small backpack that carries my SLR, with a 28-300mm zoom lense, and a very small tripod. The Rebel is rockin' for image quality, and my lense isn't to intrusive.

J

HOLY CRAP, Rev! That's a pretty kick azz site! Hmm...it also shows how my Finepix 40i blows butt monkeys compared to you and BT's S500.

Fug it...that site blows azz. Heheh....j/k bro!

Yeah and I am re-heating pizza....   Ah well...  

Tell you what though BT, I wouldn't loose the S500...    What I learned with my Minolta detour is that while all the features and options are cool...  They don't count for poop if you don't have your camera with you...  I got tired of dealing with the Bulk of the Minolta so straight to the S500 I went...  That way, at least I'll have a respectable camera with me when I want one...  

Also, remember to avoid the leathal bleeding edge of the technology, be patient...  I am sure you know of this site but just in case...  Do a google on digital comparometer
Wow! Hadn't seen that site before.
rock.gif
I just compared the S500, Pro1, and digital rebel to the G5 and the G5 blew them all away in sharpness and detail. Had sharper corners than the others, too. It offers the control and flash options I want and it has the image quality I'm lookin' for. I think my mind is made up. Should have went with my intiial plan this afternoon.
drooling3.gif

Train,
I have a small backpack that carries my SLR, with a 28-300mm zoom lense, and a very small tripod.  The Rebel is rockin' for image quality, and my lense isn't to intrusive.

J
Yeah, but my lens collection isn't as convenient. a big, fat, heavy 28-70 2.8L and a 100 2.8 Macro. Got another one but it's been so long since I've used them that I can't remember. I've thought about havin' a custom rear seat bag made to carry a camera and lenses in. My idea is to use the stock seat base and have someone make a bag that resemles the shape of the busa hump. It'd be big enough to hold a DSLR, a few lenses, and a flash if I wanted to take it all. Only thing is I'd have to either leave it on the bike if I left the bike to go in somewhere, or I'd have to take the seat bag with me and leave the trunk open for all to poke around in. Hmmm, maybe I could have whoever makes it sew a zipper around the base to hold the bag to the base so I could leave the trunk covered and take the bag if I wasn't gonna be with the bike for a while.
rock.gif

I'm really thinkin' that the G5 will be plenty camera for me. I've read the reviews and such and I just don't think I need more camera than that right now. I don't want an arsenal of cameras again either. I just want one digicam that does what I wanna do. I'm lookin' at actually gettin' another film body for my lenses and goin' retro occasionally. I want to learn more about portrait work and would like to try some of the newer films that have came out since I last shot film.
wink.gif
Not in a hurry for that, though. Just want a good all around digicam for now.

I dunno. I'll decide tomorrow I guess.
biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1089253745 -->

Back