Tryin' out a Canon Pro 1

Was it possible that the problem you had with the cam you tried was a flaw of that particular unit and not the all models would have that flaw?
I am not even a noob yet... I just like to press buttons
cool.gif

Was it possible that the problem you had with the cam you tried was a flaw of that particular unit and not the all models would have that flaw?
I am not even a noob yet... I just like to press buttons
cool.gif
Actually, the problem is fairly common in lower end zoom lenses with this much zoom range. It's equivilent to a 28-200mm zoom on a 35mm. I've seen it on non-"L" glass with a DSLR and on film before but never with "L" glass. I don't think this is a sample specific problem, I think it is a design problem just like with the S1 I tried. Canon almost had it nailed down, but they didn't quite work all the bugs out of the design.
wink.gif

Dosen't sound like yer in love with the new one BT.

Don't marry her if yer not in love with her.
wink.gif

I've got that G5, BT! It takes great pics! I still haven't played with all the features, but it is nice! Don't know all your picture taking needs, but I'm sure it would meet them.

imho
if your not doing pro photographie, nobody can really tell the diff.
there nice shots though
why don't you try taking the same picture with the same settings on both camera and put them side by side to compare

Decision made... The Pro1 went back for a refund. I didn't pick up anything else yet. They were about $60 high on the G5 and I just can't make myself go the 300D Digital Rebel route. I just have a feeling that I wouldn't be happy with it either for the money. I'm lookin' at some options and tryin' to decide.

Just thought I'd let everyone know...

BAH, Pick up the G5 Bro, I have used the previous version a few times and was impressed with the build of the Camera.. Sounds like you'll enjoy it...

As for the Digital Comparometer, I can't believe you've never come across it before... It's what I have used to make that final decision a few times...

BAH, Pick up the G5 Bro, I have used the previous version a few times and was impressed with the build of the Camera..  Sounds like you'll enjoy it...

As for the Digital Comparometer, I can't believe you've never come across it before...  It's what I have used to make that final decision a few times...
It's between the G5, the Digital Rebel (300D), and the 10D right now. The main feature that the Rebel lacks that I'd like to have is in camera compensation control over the external flash. I could always dial it in with the flash unit controls but that can get to be a hassle in some situations. Really, the only time I use external flash is when shootin' crime scenes and such when I'm bouncin' flash off of the ceiling for my light source.

The biggest drawback with the G5 would be high noise levels in ISO settings faster than ISO50. That was the only real gripe I had with my G3. Tryin' to shoot photos of an accident on a cloudy, rainy day requires more ISO speed than 50. The 300D has amazingly low noise all the way to ISO 1600 just like the 10D. I'd love to have the 10D but I'm not sure the extra available features is worth the price difference for me right now. Of course it's a heck of a lot cheaper than the 1D Mark II I was gonna get and it should last me a LONG time.
rock.gif

I could get by with the G5, but I know I would be happier with the 300D or 10D. We're back to that "Don't marry her if you don't love her" thing again.
drooling3.gif
I've already ordered a tank bag that should be big enough to hold any of the three with some small accessories, so size isn't as big of a deal as it was before...

I bought the sony dsc v1 and I couldnt be happier with the quality compactness and it also does nightshot and nightframing if you have absolutely no light at all. I looked at the digital slr cameras but didnt want to carry anything too bulky when i ride... this fits under the back compartment and takes jamming pics.. rated 5 stars on consumer reports and photography magazine... i didnt check out anything else cuz this was a gift but I am super happy with every aspect of the entire camera.. good luck in whichever you choose...

Hey BT have you thought about trying the Olympus 8080? Most of the review sites I've checked out give it the best overall pic quality. Have had good luck with the Olympus and am thinking about this one as my upgrade.

Hey BT have you thought about trying the Olympus 8080?  Most of the review sites I've checked out give it the best overall pic quality.  Have had good luck with the Olympus and am thinking about this one as my upgrade.
Haven't looked at that one. See, there's one thing about Canon that I am addicted to and it's their color rendition. Everyone has their own tastes and preferences when it comes to color in a digicam and Canon suits mine perfectly. I very rarely need to do any color adjustments to any of my Canon digital shots. I've had Nikon and Fuji digicams and just didn't like their colors. Always seemed to have to tweak them to get what I wanted. I tried out a few Olympus cams but they all tended to go toward a slightly bluer (if that's a dang word) cast. If my pics are gonna be off in color at all, I prefer that they go a bit warmer than to go cooler like that.

Some of the newer offerings may be much better at color rendition than the older models I checked out but Canon has always been dead on for me so I continue to go with Canon when I buy a digicam. If not for that, I would look at others more closely.
wink.gif

BT i know you love your s500 but isnt it a point and shoot camera with few manual controls? Since you know so much about photography I would think you would want something with a little more adjustability

BT i know you love your s500 but isnt it a point and shoot camera with few manual controls? Since you know so much about photography I would think you would want something with a little more adjustability
You are right. That is exactly why I am exploring other options right now. I miss the control I had over my photos with the D60. The S500 takes excellent snaps, but it limits me sometimes under certain circumstances. I should have kept my D60. I would have if I hadn't planned on gettin' a new 1D Mark II. I'd still love to have the 1D, I just can't see spendin' that kind of money ($4500) on a camera.

I may end up with a 10D if I can find the right deal and just keep the S500 for snaps and convenience. Sounds like the best way to go for the money.
wink.gif

are you only interested in digital these days?
Pretty much. Between film and developement costs and the fact that I can't find competent lab people around here to do my prints correctly I have found that depending on myself and photoshop is the easiest way to get what I want. When I need something printed I take the digital file to Sam's Club and have them print it out on their Fuji Frontier system. I get beautiful prints at a reasonable cost and don't have to pay for prints of anything I don't need prints of. Add to that the convenience of bein' able to go out to the garage, or go on a ride, snap pics, and have them to share within an hour of gettin' back in the house and it's hard to mess with film anymore.

FWIW, I have always wanted to learn more about portraiture. I think I would probably prefer film for that. I keep sayin' that someday I'm gonna put together a little home studio set-up and play with this area of photography. Thing is, my money only goes so far and since I got the busa most of my moola goes in that direction.
wink.gif

So, I still have an interest in film, it's just that I can't afford both and digital fits most of my needs better.
wink.gif

wink.gif

Yea i like to be able to print out only what i want and posts pics on the net instantly. My wife like to use film, she has a Nikon N80 I have a few year old olympus c-3000 digital thats still takes decent pics havent decided what im going to get next. I like Canons A80 it gets great reviews everywhere, just waiting to see if they come out with a 5mp version soon.

Yea i like to be able to print out only what i want and posts pics on the net instantly. My wife like to use film,  she has a Nikon N80 I have a few year old olympus c-3000 digital thats still takes decent pics havent decided what im going to get next. I like Canons A80 it gets great reviews everywhere, just waiting to see if they come out with a 5mp version soon.
Speakin' of waitin', that's what I think I'll do unless I find a smokin' deal on a 10D. A few models a re mysteriously comin' up out of stock lately. It's about the time of year when they empty the old models from the shelves to make room for the newer versions. The Canon G5 is showin' out of stock or on backorder at a lot of online retailers. I talked to one who said they probably wouldn't get anymore in. I asked if there was a planned replacement but he didn't really tell me anything. He just said that "there are rumors, but nothing is certain".

I think I'll wait a little while and see what pops up from Canon at the upcoming PMA show. Even if the new release isn't for me, it should create a flood of NICE used G5's into the various camera site classified forums.
wink.gif
The 10D ain't goin' anywhere for a while so I'll just watch for a deal that's too sweet to pass on for one of those. It's the consumer digicams like the G5 and S500 that get "upgraded" or replaced with a newer model before you can read the owner's manual.
biggrin.gif

Hey BT have you thought about trying the Olympus 8080?  Most of the review sites I've checked out give it the best overall pic quality.  Have had good luck with the Olympus and am thinking about this one as my upgrade.
Hey sweeper, I just went and checked out the C-8080 on dpreview.com. The sample pics and review indicate that it's an exccellent camera. I may go look at one in person and see of they'll let me take a few shots on my memory card so I can bring 'em home and evaluate them in PS. Looks like this camera does very well with colors. At least the samples on dpreview.com look right. I may have to abandon Canon for an Olympus after all. Based on that review it looks like Olympus put quality glass on the C-8080 and worked out all the details, unlike Canon with the Pro 1. Seems Canon has taken to bein' "first to market" with everything. The others may come out later but maybe they actually have their shid together when it's finally released.
mad.gif

Anyway, thanks for the heads up. I'll have to look into this camera a little more...
beerchug.gif

Back