Securing a bike at home

Nick Kickass

Registered
I a bit concerned about theft.

Right now I'm thinking I could take very heavy gauge chain and get the baddest padlock available,

then thread the chain through both wheels and around a post.

All you can do is prevent the casual theif, and slow down the determined one. If someone wants it bad enough, they will take it, unless you happen to be nearby with a gun...

You decide how much is needed to sleep safe.

My garage has:

Camera inside routed to a web address with password entry. Automatically sends 30 seconds of images from before and after a motion detection to my email; which pushes to my phone.

Additional locks on both garage door rails. Asec Garage Door Bolts

Power switch in residence for all power in garage (garage door opener and power cutting tools wont work without access to residence).

Emergency release on garage door, tack welded.

Deadbolts on door to residence(Key on both side).

Alarm on both garage door and main door.

Ground Anchors. Bikes are always locked down. I have this for my bike Y anchor - the Ultimate Motorcycle Security Ground Anchor
I have a couple surface mount anchors for visitors.

Sign inside stating. Smile you're on camera with arrow pointing to camera one of the cams. Interesting how when someone walks in garage they always look right at camera that way.

My favorite are my torso/head silhouette rifle targets from the range on my wall. Labelled from 100yds, 300yds, 700yds, 1000yds. Along with a few various rounds on the gunsmith bench with a couple Barret 50 cals sitting on end. :laugh:

There's a few other tricks, but I'm not giving away all my secrets. :whistle:

Could my baby still vanish? Yes
But, I sleep well at night now.

If someone wanted my bike they would get it. It's placed in the garage when I'm not riding it and I always try to park where I can see it when riding. I recently went to Bike Week in Myrtle Beach. It's an event known for stolen bikes. I stayed at a location where the bikes were parked in a specific area of the parking tower and they had numerous security guards on that area 24/7.

My garage has:

Camera inside routed to a web address with password entry. Automatically sends 30 seconds of images from before and after a motion detection to my email; which pushes to my phone.

Power switch in residence for all power in garage (garage door opener and power cutting tools wont work without access to residence).

Ground Anchors. Bikes are always locked down. I have this for my bike Y anchor - the Ultimate Motorcycle Security Ground Anchor

Sign inside stating. Smile you're on camera with arrow pointing to camera one of the cams. Interesting how when someone walks in garage they always look right at camera that way.

My favorite are my torso/head silhouette rifle targets from the range on my wall. Labelled from 100yds, 300yds, 700yds, 1000yds. Along with a few various rounds on the gunsmith bench with a couple Barret 50 cals sitting on end. :laugh:

Wow.. I just pay my insurance bill every year... Its strangely easier than all that for me. :poke:

My bike sits outside of hotels for weeks at a time. I've only had the pin in the roadlock 3 times in 6 years. I leave the keys in them when they are in the garage, sometimes in the parking lot at work and at the mall too by accident.

Wow.. I just pay my insurance bill every year... Its strangely easier than all that for me. :poke:

Insurance is payed up. Full coverage. Setting up the garage is easy. Takes maybe a day the first time. I sleep better knowing its taken care of. Sometimes I travel for a week at a time and y the time you figure 09 bike, all the performance parts in sig plus others that aren't, paint, electronics, etc... Insurance wouldn't even come close without going wth a stated value policy. Which at my age would be astronomical.

I also have two other bikes of mine in there and my full tilt drag truck.

Plus I work on other peoples bikes regularly.

I don't want to worry about those things when I get the rare opportunity to get a few hours sleep.

get a fake barking dog sound set off by a wireless trip sensor. better then a gun if you have to park it outside.

instead of a lock put this on it

explosive.jpg

They will know you are serious about not letting it fall into the wrong hands they should leave it alone.

explosive.jpg

Six foot fence with 7ft gates, metal garage come shed, locked, Oxford monster padlock and chain, Oxford Omega disc lock, DataTool disc lock and four dogs.

Get a RoadLok and a disc lock with an alarm on it.

Ultimately, if someone really wants to steal your stuff, it's going to get stolen.

i get what youre sayin. if you want to do it on the cheap use a cable not a chain. bolt cutters will easily break the chain but NOT the cable. you can still get through the cable but not as easily.

Kryptonite Kryptoflex Looped Cables - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

get a lock like this one so that it cant be cut with a bolt cutter

Shop Brinks Steel Key Padlock at Lowes.com

run it through the frame and not the wheels though. i have heard if people coming out and finding a wheel and no bike.

Actually I already have a cable but I figured a thick chain would be too much for bolt cutters (if not cumbersome).

But that is interesting that the cables are a hassle to cut with bolt cutters.

boltcutters dont actually "cut" they basically pinch a bolt or chain until it breaks. when you try the boltcutter on a cable all it does if fray the cable. you basically need a cut of wheel to get through the cable.

i will say that if someone wants it bad enough they will get it. but deterents will usually make a thief move on to easier prey. they are in it for the quick score not a pain in the a**

wow, I feel low-tech all of the sudden with just my .44 and a chihuaha...

My garage has:

As stated if someone wants your bike bad enough, it's gone. I don't care how well you secure it. (PM sent Crawler) With that being said, I have owned my bike 7+ years now, everyone in my town knows I have it. They also all know I keep a .45 and at least one insomniac pitbull around the house. So far so good............

Yep they will get it one way or another. My 02 dodge had an alarm and was louder than crap, in a very well lit driveway in a very good neighborhood and it still hasnt been found.

The bike if its in the garage is bars locked, alarm on and the house has an alarm as well.
Now that winters struck and its in the house, the alarm on the house and if they make it in they'll meet the new german shephard widow and my lil buddy
cobra2.jpg

Back