San Andreas

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
Well I'm not sure anyone will want to see it, and I'm sure most don't want to read my review, but here goes.. Action. After that there is action. Then finally there is action. This movie has the formula down and does not move off the path of the obvious. That having been said the actors in the movie are all really great at this sort of thing and help you believe the impossible things that happen for 1-1/2 hours anyway. It's amazing what can be done with special effects these days and everything from choppers crashing to entire cities crumbling is amazing real.

I am a big DJ fan. I can't remember a guy with this much personality who is also a physical monster and made for action movies. I think this is one of DJ's best efforts. So far he has seemed like he was playing a role in most of his movies but here he is believable. The girl who plays his daughter is attractive but physical & intelligent. She is not the makeup & flawless beauty doll that would have played this role only a few years ago. The wife is attractive also but looks like a mother, again not a model. The other characters are also very believable and well cast.

About halfway through the movie 2 things hit me:

1. This was really a possible scenario any day. CA sits on very active faults and they are well overdue to produce some worse ever earthquakes. Also, one reason the special effects are so real is because we have some real world examples of how this level of damage would look. 9/11 showed us what a major building collapse looks like. And the tidal waves in Japan and Indonesia were also all caught on film.

2. So much of what we worry about each day is basically irrelevant. In the end we have to just do what we are meant to do to the best of our ability and realize that when the **** hits the fan all we'll have is each other.

So, I give 2.5 stars. Lots of fun and if you are into the big Hollywood action movie this one is for you.

When I saw Avatar I knew that Hollywood could make people see anything they want us to see. My wife almost drug me into see that movie today, ( San Andreas ) then she gave up on me. It was much to nice to go inside and see a movie when we have perfect weather and time to cruise up in the mountains.

Most people don't realize the Richter scale is somewhat exponential. When you get around 8.0 You can actually see the earth roll and buckle. Imagine the damage that can do! 9.0 is near total destruction!

After living in California during my High School years I've felt a few small quakes but never one that caused damage. It's always in the back of your mind though.
Good thing about New Mexico, natural disasters are pretty darn rare.

Back