The Gambler

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
DISCLAIMER: I do these movie reviews from time to time for fun, and no I'm not an expert on movies (nor do I think I am). So take this with a grain of salt because it is entirely my opinion.

I saw The Gambler last night and was surprised with a well written, very intellectual movie that was very entertaining. I expect to be entertained for my money, but once in awhile a movie challenges us in what we believe and how we balance our choices in life. I am also a Walberg fan and I don't get why so many don't like the guy. The movie stars Mark Walberg as an English professor and addicted gambler in a big hole. The way this movie is crafted is very high quality - the framing, color, locations, and even the music really help to deliver a strong sense of tension. There is little actual violence in a plot that many less directors would have littered with naked whores and blood. The other characters are all memorable. Walbergs mother whose pain and disappointment is so powerful you can feel it in your gut; Walberg's love interest who is so ordinary looking that you feel you are watching a real event, not talented actors playing roles. Sorry but I forgot names but both these women are accomplished actors. Then there is John Goodman the philosophical loan shark, in a role that will be talked about for awhile.

I don't want to spoil it for you but as the movie unfurls, there is a question whether Walberg is good or bad, protagonist or antagonist. He manages to corrupt people with his ever deepening problems. I also question the ending of the movie where it appears that the studio "hollywooded" the movie into a love story. I think the movie would have been much more powerful had they not resolved things at the end. Maybe as more people see the movie I will explain my feelings on this more, as I would have to give things away to talk about it now.

Still, I give the movie 3.5 stars and highly recommend seeing it.

I saw it as well. While I think they did a wonderful job at showing how deep an addiction can go, they didn't make it a fitting end to me. Man I admit I like to gamble on occasion, this allows me to see what a huge huge nightmare it can be if you have a sickness for it.

I saw it too and the message that I got was that he wasn't a gambler but that it was just a means to an end for him. He even says as much at one point when he said "would you believe a junkie that said he wasn't then why would you believe a gambler when he tells you he's not one". Or words to that affect. But I do agree the ending left a lot to be desired.

I didn't know that it was a revamp....:laugh: I seen that it was on TV last weekend and I thought no way it's the Marky Mark movie and come 2 find out its the same exact movie plot etc. except it was made back in the 70's and James Caan was the star. That made me not wanna go see it in theaters, tired of studios rehashing these old azz movies. Has Hollywood lost every ounce of creativity?? That's definitely gonna be a DVD rental 4me and i'll compare it to the original :whistle:

Thanks for the review arch! Some people would say ' BitTorrent is calling', but I am not saying anything. Just clicking it along... :whistle:

Another good film about a gambling addiction. Loosely based on a true story to boot.
Then again in my book Phillip Seymour Hoffman was the man when it came to paying characters that you love to hate.
OWNING MAHOWNY

Good review Fallen. Being the gambler I am I had to see it. As good as the movie was it was so apparent what a loser he could be at times. The horrible bets he made a few times really made me cringe. Even though the ending did dissapoint some of you I was relieved in a way to finally see him have an intimate moment that showed passion for another human being. The self destructiveness of his charactor was like an endurance test for suffering. Both loan sharks were great... if Goodman gets a grammy nomination it won't suprise me. I like Mark... he is the real deal and conveyed the semi smooth exterior while underneath you could sence his soul taking a real beating.

Back